Singapore Expats

Small (sought-after) business ideas in Singapore?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 12:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:The high end motorbike market is taking off here. Restorers, custom bike builders and most importantly some good accessory shops for high end bits (not crap) would do ok.
I think LTA is getting ready to crack down on illegal mods both on bikes and cars as well, including the favourite mod, changing exhaust systems.
They are and have been. There are plenty of legal mods left though and there are legals ways to modify exhausts if you have the time and money.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 7:28 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I always wondered why Asians do not even suspect about existence of such a great products as cottage cheese, kefir and ryazhenka (fermented baked milk)??? I think, demand would've been very high! :)
Many of them are lactose-intolerant, so cannot lah.

Besides it's like asking why Soviets don't live on rice, 'Oh don't they see what they're missing' etc.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:03 am

JR8 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:I always wondered why Asians do not even suspect about existence of such a great products as cottage cheese, kefir and ryazhenka (fermented baked milk)??? I think, demand would've been very high! :)
Many of them are lactose-intolerant, so cannot lah.

Besides it's like asking why Soviets don't live on rice, 'Oh don't they see what they're missing' etc.
A lot of adults are lactose intolerant, doesn't matter what your race is. That is why all those products are made from fermented milk (or itself is milk fermented with a special kind of bacteria or fungus). And they are absolutely incomparable with that crap called plain yoghurt in SG supermarkets.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:08 pm

Well, not in my experience.

I'd never even heard of lactose intolerance until I lived in the US and they had lactose-free milk in the local grocery shop.

I've never met anyone who suffered from it apart from Asians.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:20 pm

There is plenty of milk everywhere here, and almost no lactose free milk and sour milk products (some crappy imported yoghurt which is actually just a candy). So it doesn't look like they're very lactose intolerant. At least if they are, either they're not suffering from it in agony, or they are masochists torturing themselves by ingesting such milk full of lactose without even fermenting it to try to get rid of lactose at least partially...

colinlee

Post by colinlee » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:14 am

SFCW - stand for singapore Fried chicken wing , majority of the us love that food.. :lol:
TT-Studio.com

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 9:32 am

colinlee wrote:SFCW - stand for singapore Fried chicken wing , majority of the us love that food.. :lol:
Sorry if it sounds insulting, but me and a lot of people I know (non-Asians) always considered fried chicken wings as rubbish - almost no meat, only bones and skin, HUGE load of fat. A lot of empty calories with nutritional value almost at zero.

I was wondering about the absense of the whole food category like fermented milk products, but I see it may turn into discussion about tastes. :)

Btw, about lactose intolerance in Asians: when I first arrived to Korea 5,5 years ago I was surprised by complete absense of what I used to eat every day. Moreover, by looking at their milk products, I did have an impression that they are BY FAR much more lactose tolerant than anybody in the world. A crap load of cheap milk, from fermented products - only extremely (!) expensive cheese and suspicious yoghurt after which I always have diarrhea (never had it in my country).

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 1:15 pm

nutnut wrote:There's not enough local butchers that sell Haggis and Black Pudding.

That's all!

You found any here so far?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE