Singapore Expats

Enquiries - Regional Meetings

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
n4s

Enquiries - Regional Meetings

Post by n4s » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:53 am

Dear all friends,

I am appointed to a regional roles recently by my company and need to oversee operations in Far East countries. We have companies in Bangkok, Jakarta & Singapore is one of them. I need to visit the Singapore office once every month for 2-3 days for meetings and discussion.

Do I need any special permit for this function? Or a normal SVP is more than enough ? It's only the most 3 nights stay and attend meetings.

Need any application from MOM ? Do i consider working in Singapore ?

Btw, I am Malaysian.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 7:27 pm

Letter of the law, a SVP doesn't cover what you want to do.

For all practical purposes, thousands of people do this all the time and you'll be fine on an SVP.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Enquiries - Regional Meetings

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:32 pm

n4s wrote: Btw, I am Malaysian.

In your case, get the company to write a letter supporting your application for an APEC travel card, saying you travel frequently around all the office blah, blah, blah.......and it should be job done.

http://www.businessmobility.org/
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Enquiries - Regional Meetings

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:43 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
n4s wrote: Btw, I am Malaysian.

In your case, get the company to write a letter supporting your application for an APEC travel card, saying you travel frequently around all the office blah, blah, blah.......and it should be job done.

http://www.businessmobility.org/
He may not be senior enough. ABTC has recently been tightened up and is for 'CEO level or those who report directly to the CEO' from what I recall . Seems it has (like all these things) been abused.... (but we can't blame the sub-continentals for that one as they can't get an ABTC - although a friend here in APEC tells me they are always ringing up and begging for one).

(PS there's also new limits on the types of companies that are eligible for sponsoring employees for ABTC - I seem to recall that your employer needs to be in the Forbes 3000 list.).
Now I'm called PNGMK

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 2:54 pm

OSOD: The question would be......how long ago? I got mine back in April and I am certainly not a Forbes 3000 company.

Reporting to CEO etc. is not a problem to confirm via a sponsoring letter but since (at least for me) payment is not required until the card is approved, there is absolutely nothing to loose.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 3:20 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:OSOD: The question would be......how long ago? I got mine back in April and I am certainly not a Forbes 3000 company.

Reporting to CEO etc. is not a problem to confirm via a sponsoring letter but since (at least for me) payment is not required until the card is approved, there is absolutely nothing to loose.
Payment is required up front (and non refundable for Aussies at least). Rules changed in Nov. Implementation has been staged and may vary between your home country and others.

See...

http://www.businessmobility.org/[url][/url]
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 3:21 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:OSOD: The question would be......how long ago? I got mine back in April and I am certainly not a Forbes 3000 company.

Payment required up front. New rules have been in place since last Nov but implementation has been staggered and may vary between issuing countries.

http://www.businessmobility.org/ for more info.
Now I'm called PNGMK

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 3:38 pm

It could be Oz is a bit of a special case, even the NZ website updated in November doesn't note any more restrictions than original qualification.

The HK site, which for me is the most appropriate, has not been updated since 2009 so still mentions at least payment after successful application and collection of the card.

OP, doesn't hurt to ask the APEC Unit in Putrajaya and again, I think for MY there is no need to pay before issuance of the card.......MYR100.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE