Singapore Expats

Is a permit/business visa needed?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Rb85

Is a permit/business visa needed?

Post by Rb85 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:34 am

Hi all,

I will be heading out to Singapore later in 2013 on a permanent basis, however before the end of the financial year I need to pay a visit in order to sort out a few problems in our local branch.

I am a UK passport holder, so as far as I'm aware I can enter the country for up to 4 weeks visa/permit free, although I will be planning on staying approx 6 weeks. In this time I will be sorting stuff out in the local office, however I will still be getting paid by the UK and into my UK bank account.

Can I simply exit the country before my 30 days are up, for example a short day trip into Malaysia, and then return to Singapore for the remaining two weeks? Will this be frowned upon/look "dodgy" when it comes for me to apply for my employment pass?

If I book my return flight to the UK 6 weeks from the date I enter Singapore, again, will this get questioned?

I appreciate any help with this, as I seem to be going round in circles from the info I'm reading.

RB

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 1:52 am

Visa on arrival = Social Visit Pass.

As it's name suggests you cannot work on an SVP.

I'd suggest getting the appropriate visa. Wouldn't want to prejudice your later permanent transfer now would we?

Rb85

Post by Rb85 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 2:32 am

Exactly my thoughts, I don't want it to bite me on the arse later so wanted to make sure I got it right. There are some websites out there with conflicting information, so thought it was worth the ask.

Thanks for the quick reply

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 2:54 am

The SG government administration is very efficient, so if you're eligible, getting the right visa will be a doddle.

As in much of the rest of like, it's when you attempt to 'game the system' that it can turn around and really bite you on the A.

Any other questions fire away, and welcome on board!

p.s. yes this board is different from the others in SG. It's not dominated my kids having a pi$$ing contest lol...