Singapore Expats

Maid's income tax

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Maid's income tax

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 4:04 pm

Just wanted to clarify as we are thinking of employing a maid soon. I have seen in several posts references to 50% plus tax on a maids income.

Is this the levy that I as an employer must pay or is it something else?

If I am paying the levy does the maid still have to pay tax on what I give her?

I have tried web searching and the only references I can see are about the levy and tax relief for employes not income tax on the maid herself.

Apologies if I have missed the obvious somewhere I know how you guys like to berate lazy searching :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 4:10 pm

Unless you are paying your maid in excess of 20K/p.a. she will have no tax liability unless you kept her less than 183 days. Can you point me to one of the posts that reference a 50% plus tax.

You may well be referring to the levy, which is a fixed amount, regardless of what you pay your maid. Currently it is $265/month. Makes no difference if you pay your maid $450/mo or $1000/mo, the levy remains the same and is not payable by the maid but by the employer of the maid and cannot be deducted from the maids salary either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 4:16 pm

Most recently offshoreoildude in the topic about the maid who argues a lot but I have seen it before several times also.

It must be the levy so thanks for clearing that up.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 4:19 pm

Sorry, let me be clear before I get flamed! The topic and comment I mentioned did not specifically say it was income tax on the maid. It was not clear to me what the 50% plus was which is why I asked.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 5:06 pm

Not a problem. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers