Singapore Expats

Tripadvisor World City survey

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Tripadvisor World City survey

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 1:31 pm

Tripadvisor world city survey:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter- ... eases.html

Singapore as expected is in the top 3 among the cleanest, safest and ease of getting around. Kind of validates the reason why we are here :cool:

Kind of surprised that the Russian capital is worst in a lot of things and that HK has the least friendly locals, V4JR4 watch out! :)

sabaisabai

Re: Tripadvisor World City survey

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 1:16 am

Wd40 wrote:Tripadvisor world city survey:

Singapore as expected is in the top 3 among the cleanest, safest and ease of getting around. Kind of validates the reason why we are here :cool:

Kind of surprised that the Russian capital is worst in a lot of things and that HK has the least friendly locals, V4JR4 watch out! :)
Cleanest? Haha. Sure in the city centre where the dictatorship wants face and wants to attract $$, they hire tons of cleaners, and treat them like dogs, and the Singaporean supervisors with evil glares will ship them back home if they miss a piece litter, and they will lose all the money they paid their agents to get them here, so they put up with the inhumane abuse. But take a walk in any HDB neighbourood.

Safest? Hahaha. In reality, the cops won't do their job unless you are raped or murdered because they want to keep the official crime statistics low. I feel much safer in the West walking around people who are friendly and not every other person looking like he is going to pick a fight with you.

Ease of getting around? Hahahaha. Would you rather drive a car (for 3 grand) in the West and get to anywhere you want to go or squeeze with the loonies in a car or bus watching their miserable and evil faces for 2 hours daily with your face plastered against the MRT door windows?

Travelers are dumb, talk to the expatriates who actually live in the country.

Best taxi services? Wow this survey is seriously flawed. :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 8:21 am

Firstly, this is from the tourists perspective. Secondly, yes, it is rather clean as the whole comparing to any other country I've lived in or travelled to. Making this a political issue does not help to disprove the point.
Yes, it is also very safe. I am afraid not many people share your impression. Maybe this is something on your personality level what makes you think everybody is going to pick a fight with you? People around are not really courteous (or they don't appear so) but this has nothing to do with the safety. There are not so many countries in the word where you can go practically any place any time and stay safe.
Tourists typically do not use private or hired cars to explore cities like this. They use public transport and leaving aside personal phobias the public transport in Singapore is very good.
Same applies to the taxis if taken from the tourist perspective. It is only when you have to commute regularly or in some specific location typically outside the main tourist areas when it really sucks. Yet, not everybody agrees with this.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:30 am

I'd say that the survey is pretty valid, having travelled and stayed to a quarter of of the places mentioned in the survey (as tourist, of course).

Sometimes the perception as tourists and expatriates can really be that different.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:32 am

Isn't there an expression, "it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:29 am

Well, one needs to confirm not from tourist point of view. It reminds me about the trip to Phuket, in which one of the vendor rants just because we don't buy anything from them :P
"Budget Expat"

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:33 am

Tokyo has the best taxi service? If cost doesn't factor in, sure. It's *Really* expensive. Like $40 for a 10 minute ride expensive.

Cancun has the friendliest locals? Yep, they are quite cheerful while trying to rip you off! :lol: (ditto for their taxis).

Everything else seems reasonably fair. I'd nitpik a few points, but nothing major.

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 3:42 pm

x9200 wrote:Firstly, this is from the tourists perspective. Secondly, yes, it is rather clean as the whole comparing to any other country I've lived in or travelled to. Making this a political issue does not help to disprove the point.
Yes, it is also very safe. I am afraid not many people share your impression. Maybe this is something on your personality level what makes you think everybody is going to pick a fight with you? People around are not really courteous (or they don't appear so) but this has nothing to do with the safety. There are not so many countries in the word where you can go practically any place any time and stay safe.
Tourists typically do not use private or hired cars to explore cities like this. They use public transport and leaving aside personal phobias the public transport in Singapore is very good.
Same applies to the taxis if taken from the tourist perspective. It is only when you have to commute regularly or in some specific location typically outside the main tourist areas when it really sucks. Yet, not everybody agrees with this.
Singapore is safe? That is the biggest joke I've heard. Almost every other person on the street wants to bite each other's head off. Look at the way they treat (and look) at each other, with pure coldness and malice. Look at the way they squabble and try to do each other in all the time just so they can feel better. Check out parliaments in East Asia, the Taiwanese and Koreans fight in parliament all the time much less on the streets. They don't fight in the Chinese/North Korean Parliament because it is a dictatorship like Singapore but people treat each other the same way, like dirt.

They generally resort to violence and fighting for everything. You cannot have different opinions and sit down as friends and talk over beer. To the Asians, it means you are their enemy and must be beaten up, or stabbed in the back etc.

Try walking up to any Singaproean and saying 'hi how are ya'. They are so selfish and bitter they just look at you like a rapist. Because in their minds, and culture, they are thinking, why would another person say hi to them without wanting anything (money etc) in return?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 3:52 pm

sabaisabai wrote:
x9200 wrote:Firstly, this is from the tourists perspective. Secondly, yes, it is rather clean as the whole comparing to any other country I've lived in or travelled to. Making this a political issue does not help to disprove the point.
Singapore is safe? That is the biggest joke I've heard. Almost every other person on the street wants to bite each other's head off. Look at the way they treat (and look) at each other, with pure coldness and malice. Look at the way they squabble and try to do each other in all the time just so they can feel better. Check out parliaments in East Asia, the Taiwanese and Koreans fight in parliament all the time much less on the streets. They don't fight in the Chinese/North Korean Parliament because it is a dictatorship like Singapore but people treat each other the same way, like dirt.

They generally resort to violence and fighting for everything. You cannot have different opinions and sit down as friends and talk over beer. To the Asians, it means you are their enemy and must be beaten up, or stabbed in the back etc.

Try walking up to any Singaproean and saying 'hi how are ya'. They are so selfish and bitter they just look at you like a rapist. Because in their minds, and culture, they are thinking, why would another person say hi to them without wanting anything (money etc) in return?
Wow, just wow. That's just full of vitriol. I'd be fearing for my life here too if I were to be surrounded by such people.

Thankfully, I'm not. I know I certainly would be, in other countries though. Surely sucks being you, dude, especially when you're experiencing this in Singapore.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:07 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Singapore is safe? That is the biggest joke I've heard. Almost every other person on the street wants to bite each other's head off. Look at the way they treat (and look) at each other, with pure coldness and malice. Look at the way they squabble and try to do each other in all the time just so they can feel better. Check out parliaments in East Asia, the Taiwanese and Koreans fight in parliament all the time much less on the streets. They don't fight in the Chinese/North Korean Parliament because it is a dictatorship like Singapore but people treat each other the same way, like dirt.
Wow. Either you're fallen on the dark side of Singapore, or you're unlucky, but I won't mix up gahmen with society. I know some Singaporeans, though they're not "warm", at least they are pretty straightforward. And by saying "safe", to me, Singapore is "safer". In Jakarta? Blah. You may end up in hospital if you try to walk alone at 1 AM, even if you carry nothing.
sabaisabai wrote:They generally resort to violence and fighting for everything. You cannot have different opinions and sit down as friends and talk over beer. To the Asians, it means you are their enemy and must be beaten up, or stabbed in the back etc.
Keyword: Asians, not Singaporeans.
sabaisabai wrote:Try walking up to any Singaproean and saying 'hi how are ya'. They are so selfish and bitter they just look at you like a rapist. Because in their minds, and culture, they are thinking, why would another person say hi to them without wanting anything (money etc) in return?
Not just them. I will activate the defense mechanism if a stranger walks in and say "Hi" out of a sudden. Why? Just to make sure that you're not Hannibal :P
"Budget Expat"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:11 pm

Guys, don't feed the troll.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:13 pm

Nah, we're just fishing around :lol:
"Budget Expat"

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:17 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Almost every other person on the street wants to bite each other's head off.
At least you won't get a random bottle smashed on your head only because you look different or said a couple of words in different language...
sabaisabai wrote:Look at the way they squabble and try to do each other in all the time just so they can feel better.
Those who have problems with sex, squabble. :)
sabaisabai wrote:You cannot have different opinions and sit down as friends and talk over beer.
I can.
sabaisabai wrote:To the Asians, it means you are their enemy and must be beaten up, or stabbed in the back etc.
Which Asians? In any case, if somebody thinks like that, it's his personal problem. I didn't beg him to drink beer with me.
sabaisabai wrote:Try walking up to any Singaproean and saying 'hi how are ya'. They are so selfish and bitter they just look at you like a rapist.
I dun even have to say anything, some of them already think like that. :)
sabaisabai wrote:Because in their minds, and culture, they are thinking, why would another person say hi to them without wanting anything (money etc) in return?
5.5 years in Asia, that's a revelation!

sabaisabai, are you a woman?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:20 pm

nakatago wrote:Guys, don't feed the troll.
Yes, you are right, but I was in the middle of replying when you said that...

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:34 pm

the lynx wrote:
sabaisabai wrote:

Wow, just wow. That's just full of vitriol. I'd be fearing for my life here too if I were to be surrounded by such people.

Thankfully, I'm not. I know I certainly would be, in other countries though. Surely sucks being you, dude, especially when you're experiencing this in Singapore.
You are Malaysian Chinese, and you probably have not lived outside of Malaysia and Singapore.

Even though you make personal attacks against me (that's how you guys behave when faced with an opinion you don't like), we all know the Chinese love Singapore so hey I wish you a great life in Singapore.

You may be a good person, who knows? But the reality is the overwhelming majority of people are such.