Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:46 am

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Spot on alantang_sha.

With born in Singapore, d.o.b., and race indicated, it would be very easy regardless of the name. How many were born on that day in Singapore of the indicated race who have not done NS and are not listed as deceased. All the databases are now linked to the ICA database. I'd reckon the number would be rather small (two or three maybe, if that many). Additionally, with image recognition software also installed and working, I'm sure with the other data, and a link to the image software it wouldn't be too hard to make a match.

In the words of Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"
I am responding to an old post, but just curious: how would the officer know the OPs race if he is using his US passport? Or do you mean by physical appearance? To me all oriental Asians look the same, but I guess oriental Asians are better at identifying race from appearance. I mean is it possible to differentiate a Thai from a Vietnamese or a Korean from Japanese or are these actually classified as races? :???:
All immigration officer in major airport hub are trained in race group classification by facial appearance and spoken language. You will get the hang of it once you practice it often.
I can tell the difference between Indonesian and Malay and Bruneian
Johorean , Kelantanese, Penang and many Malay from the different states, Korean with Japanese. Ozzies , Kiwis , etc
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:33 pm

Ciesther wrote:I did not apply for EP when he turn 13 because we were out of Singapore then. CMPB did not say to apply for EP when he turns 16, they said can only apply for deferment when he turn 16 but we have to apply for EP now. But my son has no NRIC or Sing Pass so we can't apply EP online.
EP application can be done from overseas once he turns 13.
Did you get this confirmation to apply for deferment when he turn 16 in writing?
Did CMPB states deferment only or deferment till 21 pending renunciation? Two separates issues. One only allows him to defer till NS call up and the later allows him to defer till 21 pending renunciation of SG citizenship
No need IC, BC is enough. You can e-mail to them when he turns 13 and ask for guidance.
Basically the onus to apply EP solely lies upon the parents NOT MINDEF or CMPB. This is the parent responsibility period.
Now you should contact www.ns.com.sg or cmpb to ask for guidance and assurance on returning to SG for EP application or is it possible to get EP from overseas( I doubt it but you can try)
I can help you once CMPB respond to your e-mail Their turn around is 72 hours so be patience.
Meantime if you need more info . Yell
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Ciesther

Post by Ciesther » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 4:42 pm

MS, thank you for your help. I will contact MINDEF.

Thanks again.

ga2013

Post by ga2013 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:36 pm

Hello Mad Scientist and forum friends,

Thank you for your advices on this matter and I understand the process for the most part by reading the posts on this thread.

My son turned 13 years old early this month and we received the letter from MINDEF reminding us to apply for EP. My son was born in Singapore as a Singapore citizen (I am a Singapore citizen), left Singapore when he was 8 months old and has not returned since. We intend to stay in US and renounce his Singapore citizenship when he turns 21 years of age. We are permanent residents here and will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year.

Wanted to ask your advice if

a) I can/should write to ICA/MINDEF on our intention to renounce his Singapore citizenship at age of 21 now (we still only hold Singapore passport at this point, no dual citizenship)

OR

b) Just apply for a less-than-2-year Exit Permit for now and write to ICA/MINDEF after we have obtained our US citizenship?

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you again.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 6:11 pm

ga2013 wrote:Hello Mad Scientist and forum friends,

Thank you for your advices on this matter and I understand the process for the most part by reading the posts on this thread.

My son turned 13 years old early this month and we received the letter from MINDEF reminding us to apply for EP. My son was born in Singapore as a Singapore citizen (I am a Singapore citizen), left Singapore when he was 8 months old and has not returned since. We intend to stay in US and renounce his Singapore citizenship when he turns 21 years of age. We are permanent residents here and will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year.

Wanted to ask your advice if

a) I can/should write to ICA/MINDEF on our intention to renounce his Singapore citizenship at age of 21 now (we still only hold Singapore passport at this point, no dual citizenship)

OR

b) Just apply for a less-than-2-year Exit Permit for now and write to ICA/MINDEF after we have obtained our US citizenship?

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you again.
Both will be the answer for you.
If your son and your family has become a naturalise US ciitzen , then proceed as above .
Proof of US citizenship and all the works is required for ICA/Mindef to approve stay of deferment pending renunciation of SG citizensip
If you are not able or in the process of getting one, do it before he turns 16 and you still inform Mindef your intention NOW.

ga2013

Post by ga2013 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:06 pm

Thank you very much MS for your guidance and Happy New Year!

ga2013

Post by ga2013 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 11:23 pm

Hello MS,

I have 3 more follow-up questions for the EP request:

1. Can I still apply for the EP online at www.ns.sg? Or it would have to be completed thru the email communication with MINDEF officers.

2. If to use online EP request, should I choose 'Study Oversea' or 'Social Visit' for ‘Reason for Departure’? my son is a 8th grader now.

3. I wrote an email to MINDEF ([email protected]) about our intention to renounce my son’s Singapore citizenship, will this be acceptable or I should send in a letter formally?

Thank you again.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 3:49 am

ga2013 wrote:Hello MS,

I have 3 more follow-up questions for the EP request:

1. Can I still apply for the EP online at www.ns.sg? Or it would have to be completed thru the email communication with MINDEF officers.

Yes, you can apply thru that website. At the same time e-mail to CMPB on your intention now, followed by snail mail to both CMPB and ICA with supporting documents. Make sure you keep a copy of that too.
They will reply if you have provided them a returning address. Supply yours and the wife foreign citizenship copy too.
This 99.9% works if the whole family has emigrated to another country and has attained foreign citizenship not PR

2. If to use online EP request, should I choose 'Study Oversea' or 'Social Visit' for ‘Reason for Departure’? my son is a 8th grader now.

Reason of departure and states emigrated to .....................
3. I wrote an email to MINDEF ([email protected]) about our intention to renounce my son’s Singapore citizenship, will this be acceptable or I should send in a letter formally?

As above answer. You need to get them to reply formally via e-mail or snail mail. Proof of citizenship is the key. They will send you a set of documents if they accept your intention to renounce your child SG citizenship at 21. All the guidelines is there to follow before submitting it back via snail mail to them

Thank you again.

ga2013

Post by ga2013 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 4:54 am

Hello MS,

Sorry to keep bothering you....

Reason of departure and states emigrated to .....................

It has only 2 options 'Study Oversea' and 'Social Visit' for 'Reason for Departure'. I guess I have to choose one, not sure if there will be any implication down the road if I choose either one.

Thank you....

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 5:14 am

You have three months to apply for EP when your son turn 13. I would suggest call CMPB and explain, they can give you an EP with your intention to renounce.
If you sent an e-mail the turn around is about 72 hours. There is not much you can do due to the year is ending soon. Call them will be the best and get it straight from the horse's mouth. This involves everything and get it in writing .

When I did mine many many moons ago, I dropped in at CMPB personally hence there was no drama. It involves all the implication revolving pros and cons but again back then I was somebody but now I am nobody

ga2013

Post by ga2013 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 6:37 am

MS, appreciate all your advice and this really helped us a lot!
Wish you and family a Happy New Year!

slade26

Post by slade26 » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 8:38 am

Hello MS!

I've been reading a lot of all your posts, and I was wondering if you could help me in a relatively simple question I have.

My son is 4 years old, dual Singaporean/Malaysian, born in Singapore.
My wife is Singaporean.
I am Malaysian, Singapore PR.

We are migrating to Australia permanently at the end of this year and we want to renounce my son's Singaporean citizenship and only keep his Malaysian citizenship.

How can I do this? Will my son definitely still need to come back at 18 to serve his NS? I don't wanna split my family up! :(

Thanks!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:33 am

slade26 wrote:Hello MS!

I've been reading a lot of all your posts, and I was wondering if you could help me in a relatively simple question I have.

My son is 4 years old, dual Singaporean/Malaysian, born in Singapore.
My wife is Singaporean.
I am Malaysian, Singapore PR.

We are migrating to Australia permanently at the end of this year and we want to renounce my son's Singaporean citizenship and only keep his Malaysian citizenship.

How can I do this? Will my son definitely still need to come back at 18 to serve his NS? I don't wanna split my family up! :(

Thanks!
Another one :roll:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 6:09 pm

Are you both becoming Ozzies or just Ozzi PR ?

Does this include your child too ?

Are you and your spouse prepared to renounce M'sia and Singapore citizenship respectively if it comes to the wires. ?

slade26

Post by slade26 » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:00 pm

We will first be becoming PRs, and maybe apply for Ozzie citizenship in future (I understand we all have to give up M'sia and Singapore citizenship respectively, if we decide to do that).

But even if we don't become aussies, both my son and myself can still keep our Malaysian citizenship right?

Thanks for replying!