Singapore Expats

Stamford American International School (SAIS)

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
mangla

Stamford American International School (SAIS)

Post by mangla » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 4:03 pm

Hi,

Has anyone here got kids in Stamford American? What do you think of the school? We're from London, so I'm not sure about an American school but we're going to the open day on Friday.

Would love to hear an insiders point of view

Thanks

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Stamford American

Post by scarbowl » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 8:35 pm

mangla wrote:Hi,

Has anyone here got kids in Stamford American? What do you think of the school? We're from London, so I'm not sure about an American school but we're going to the open day on Friday.

Would love to hear an insiders point of view

Thanks
British company, British headmaster, uniforms including hats, Aussie chef, you'll feel right at home.

arti55

Post by arti55 » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:24 pm

I think Stamford American is better......

ukexpat2000

Post by ukexpat2000 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:41 pm

If your from London, I would suggest an International School called Insworld Institute. It is smaller but it has a British principal and it follows the British syllabus. I'm British and my kid goes there, he has alot of British friends and the teaching is less stressful.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 5:25 am

arti55 wrote:I think Stamford American is better......
Better than what? Note - the OP posted 3 years ago! :shock:

colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:43 am

scarbowl wrote:
Are you sure? The date on my screen for original post is October 2012.. unless you are somehow living in the future, that's only a few months ago..

clueless_idiot

Post by clueless_idiot » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 1:00 pm

I have two kids at SAIS, 7th grade and 2nd grade. They both love the school. It is a new campus. The teachers are very engaging and communicate well with the parents. I am very happy with them so far.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 1:09 pm

Scarbowl, you were looking at the OP's join date and not the post's timestamp at the top of the message. :oops!:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 4:19 pm

Clueless,

Did you consider SAS prior to choosing SAIS? I'm exploring both schools and would appreciate your insight.

Thanks.

clueless_idiot

Post by clueless_idiot » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 8:18 pm

Yes. SAS is a very good school.

But is it far from where I work (and everything else). We felt it was too large for one of my kids who is a bit shy. And the waiting lists would mean that we would have to enroll in one school and leave it when a spot opened up. Having pulled my kids from their shool in the US to move to Singapore, I didn't want to force them to change schools again.

SAIS is more conveniently located for us. It is of a slighly smaller scale. There were no waiting lists. We felt the quality of the education would be similar to SAS.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks. I will take a look at SAIS.

singapore2013

Post by singapore2013 » Sat, 18 May 2013 9:43 pm

clueless_idiot wrote:I have two kids at SAIS, 7th grade and 2nd grade. They both love the school. It is a new campus. The teachers are very engaging and communicate well with the parents. I am very happy with them so far.
Apparently I don't have enough posts to PM you. Are you from the US? I was wondering how you felt about the quality of the education at SAIS relative to good schools stateside. Are the kids sufficiently challenged academically? I'm wondering whether SAIS and SAS are similar from a purely academic point of view.

How are the teachers? I know it's a new school and I'm wondering whether they've had any difficulty recruiting good teachers. And whether the "for profit" aspect of the school has any impact on student/parent life at the school.

It's really difficult applying sight unseen! Any guidance would be much appreciated.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 19 May 2013 1:32 pm

colio wrote:
scarbowl wrote:
Are you sure? The date on my screen for original post is October 2012.. unless you are somehow living in the future, that's only a few months ago..
You are correct! My bad!

singaporetamale

Bit suspect

Post by singaporetamale » Wed, 22 May 2013 6:37 pm

singapore2013 wrote:
clueless_idiot wrote:I have two kids at SAIS, 7th grade and 2nd grade. They both love the school. It is a new campus. The teachers are very engaging and communicate well with the parents. I am very happy with them so far.
Apparently I don't have enough posts to PM you. Are you from the US? I was wondering how you felt about the quality of the education at SAIS relative to good schools stateside. Are the kids sufficiently challenged academically? I'm wondering whether SAIS and SAS are similar from a purely academic point of view.

How are the teachers? I know it's a new school and I'm wondering whether they've had any difficulty recruiting good teachers. And whether the "for profit" aspect of the school has any impact on student/parent life at the school.

It's really difficult applying sight unseen! Any guidance would be much appreciated.
This post looks like a SAS admissions officer post....just a bit suspect!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Bit suspect

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 May 2013 8:34 pm

singaporetamale wrote:
singapore2013 wrote:

This post looks like a SAS admissions officer post....just a bit suspect!
singaporetamale

Interesting comment tamale, what makes a poster who only has six posts, with the current one in VN and the rest in Singapore all flogging SAIS and no other posts in any other forum here at all. Sure sounds like YOU are the shill for SAIS to me.

A bit of pot.kettle.black perhaps? Remember, when you point at someone there are four more pointing back at yourself.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers