Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 9:15 pm

maximum pay is only within $3500?

whitepetals
Chatter
Chatter

Post by whitepetals » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:38 am

calvink wrote:maximum pay is only within $3500?
no not true..

rainbow123: eh i got the same qns as u too! but my intv was last dec.. haha for me i was debating on yes-side too! did u get in?

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:43 am

Based on what I've heard, it's quite common to hit $6-8k, with minimum abt $4k.. it's not hard to see why so many ppl want this job :p

Rouge

Post by Rouge » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:05 pm

dreamsaw wrote:
MeganL wrote:Anyone who went for the interview today care to share and update what are the stages like? I heard from my friend that they brought forward the kebaya round and that they'll let you know whether you've passed the interview either by post or phone call, which is weird because the interview stages are split into 2 days for the past few interviews right? :/
Hi, I'm a guy who went for the interview (after the lunch break) but I'm just gonna post anyway.. hope it helps :)

-Stage 1-
Mass introductions: Applicants (about 10-11 per group) sit in a row and one-by-one asked by a panel of 2 interviewers to stand up and talk for 1 minute, stating their name, give a short intro of themselves (eg. age, school, course of study, work), and answer a question. Everyone has to answer the same question, so obviously those sitting near/at the end of the row have much more time to think. The question my group got was: If you were to learn a foreign language, what would it be and why? Other common/possible questions you may get (based on what I've heard): What is your favourite colour and why? Who is your favourite superhero? What is your dream destination? etc. I observed that the interviewers focused less on what we were saying and more on the posture, body language, gestures.. not just of the person standing up but also of those sitting down as well, so I guess it's important to maintain good posture and appropriate facial expressions even when sitting down and listening to others speak (ie. throughout the whole round). This is a stage where I feel a bit 'unfair' for others, cos I (and another girl) was fumbling over some of my words and stammered a bit due to nervousness but I got through, while others who spoke much better than me (confidence level, smoothness, content-wise) didn't get through. Maybe I smiled more while some of the others looked more serious? I really don't know why. 2 guys and 3 girls from my group got through (the other guy who got through talked like he was narrating a well-rehearsed story..). I peeped at the results list and saw only 5 lines to write down the names, so perhaps the max successful applicants allowed per group for Stage 1 is 5? Average is 2-5, based on what I've heard from those who went after the lunch break o.o

-Stage 2-
Height test + Document verification: Height test is where they measure your height (shoes off) and then ask you to stretch or tip-toe to touch a line that's pasted on the wall. The thing is, you can't stretch/tip-toe to touch the line with your toes already touching the wall - they actually ask you to stand some distance away from the wall before allowing you to try and touch the line, so it may look easier than it is (I saw a girl unable to touch the line because of this). Document verification is where they ask you to show your identification card and highest attained education cert to verify with your application form. Some guy showed only photocopies of his documents but still got through, even though the website said 'originals'..

-Stage 3-
Skin check: For guys, not really a 'skin check' but have to roll up your sleeves and remove your watch/accessories to check your forearms - top and underside - for any visible scars or tattoos. If the person catches any marks or what, he'll ask you abt it and you'll have to explain (eg. 'it's just a small cut that will go off in a few weeks/months'). After that, he'll ask you to walk abt 5 metres forward and back to see your posture, before facing him and giving him a smile..lol. For girls, based on the little that I saw when I was inside (the guys and girls were in the same room for Stage 3), they'll really take their time to scrutinize your skin and teeth using rather harsh spotlights, before asking you to do a catwalk. Some girls didn't make it to the catwalk. This is a stage where I feel a bit 'unfair' for many of them, cos I heard that several ppl had seemingly perfect skin but didn't get through this stage. I overheard from someone that they were actually looking for more 'Chinese-looking girls' for today's interview, which perhaps caused many of them to not pass this round, including those exotic-looking Pan Asian types with flawless skin.

-Stage 4-
One-to-one interview: Turns out it was a two-interviewers-one-interviewee round instead of 'one-to-one'. lol. Two faced-down English passages - you randomly choose one, turn it face-up and read it aloud. The passage is actually abt a scenario that can happen in a flight/airline industry, so after reading it aloud you have to talk abt what you would do in that situation. The one I picked turned out to be abt inflight make-up standards, even though I'm a guy. But I just answered anyway. In fact, I completely misread the scenario and only realised it later, before changing my answer. [Note: from some people I heard, many of the scenario questions have to do with choosing between service and safety (eg. 'would you allow a VIP, such as a sultan, to bring his son into the cockpit during a flight if he requests for it?'). My advice is to ALWAYS choose safety over service (eg. politely explaining that to ensure safety, his son is not allowed to enter the cockpit during flight but maybe another visit can be arranged during downtime, or to offer him a complimentary bottle of wine if he insists/gets angry).] After answering that part, they'll ask you interview questions such as: Why do you want to be a cabin crew? Why do you choose SIA? Why do you not prefer Ground positions? Why do you think you suit the role of a cabin crew? What makes you different from the other applicants? Are you aware of the roles of a cabin crew? Do you know that you'll have to clean the lavatories (toilets) as well? Do you know that some rules in the airline industry are considered 'draconian' (strict, severe)? What do you feel about such things? They won't ask ALL these questions, but these are some of the questions they're likely to ask. It actually felt more like a conversation (at least for me), so don't be too nervous. And also remember to SMILE and ensure some eye contact with BOTH interviewers. I did observe, though, that they kept commenting on my results in school (I did well in 'O' and 'A' Levels), which makes me think that they emphasize more on academic qualifications than what is represented on their website ('At least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits'). I really get a sense that they care a whole lot abt paper qualifications cos I made several mistakes (fumbling over my words, repeating my points, and even misreading the whole scenario question) but still somehow managed to get through.. I think much of it also depends on who your interviewers are, and whether you can 'smile your way through' tough questions.

-Stage 5, 6, ...-
This is all on Day 2 at SIA Training Centre (Changi area), one day after the first-day interview, so I haven't been there and can't say much abt it. Heard that the kebaya-fitting stage has been changed to be on this day. There's also the management round where they pit 3 applicants against 3 applicants in a debate abt a topic, as well as ask sensitive/hard-to-answer questions such as 'Who among here do you think don't deserve to be a cabin crew?' So I guess have to try and be diplomatic and 'neutral'? I heard only about half who make it to the management round get through..

All in all, it was an eye-opening experience for me. I went for the interview just to see what it's like and had little expectations for myself (it's my first time), but didn't expect to clear so many stages considering that I didn't read up much on SIA, didn't really take care of my skin, carried a dumb-looking haversack etc., and still have quite a long period of 5-6 months before I graduate (the interviewer actually mentioned that I may have attended the interview too early). Personally, it was the biggest gathering of glamorous-looking people I've ever seen in real life, with everyone sizing up one another's appearance whenever they walk past someone or saw someone walk past them. It felt really competitive and quite intense, so you definitely need some way to calm yourself down (eg. making small talk with other applicants). And even though I got through Day 1, I'm definitely not blind to how 'unfair' the interview process can be, for reasons mentioned earlier. A lot of it is beyond your control, really, so don't be too hard on yourself. But this may not be easy for those who've already tried many times..

Phew, I think my post is too long.. lol :p
Hey dreamsaw,

What is the average age range that went for the interview? Anyone older than 26 and got in? For the two guys who didn't get in, were they over-confident even though they can speak well? Or relate their job experience to the passage when they weren't told to do so?
Dance as though you own the stage, the audience

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 9:14 pm

If you are easily 'trained' or 'brainwash' and have not much expectation especially if you are still fresh in the working world, probably SIA will take you in...

As long as you can be 'trained' .. :P

Rouge

Post by Rouge » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:19 pm

calvink wrote:If you are easily 'trained' or 'brainwash' and have not much expectation especially if you are still fresh in the working world, probably SIA will take you in...

As long as you can be 'trained' .. :P
I am a dance instructor and have only been in this job all my life, been 7yrs now and I'm 28 this year. Don't know if I'm too old for the job.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:16 pm

Time has change... The perks and number of 'working hours' are not as attractive as it used to be in the old times...

That's probably why many can't take it and left the job after finishing up their bond....and went back to the corporate world....or venture out on their own...

That is why the 'younger ones' who have not much working experience would probably have a higher chance of 'reviving' their career in the corporate world once they decide to leave SIA...

If you dont speak well, not so knowledgable about grooming, etcs , etcs -- you will be 'trained' ... during the training programme

I believe they may have realised that hiring those with plenty of working experience or able to carry him/herself well or they know the do's and don't in their current job scope well - these are the people who already have formed a solid expectation in mind which might be hard to 'dislodge' and might not be that eased to send them for training in order to 'lower their career objectives' to serve passengers... ------- just my opinion on the hiring process as some of you may be wandering why are those who spoke well cant get in....unlike last time.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:27 pm

But anyway, no harm keep trying and be persistent if you really want the job... but just have to keep in mind that career switch from a cabin crew to a desk job is not that easy...your chances will definitely be lower ....

You might have to take up courses to upgrade your skills...and look for a better opportunity if you really leave SIA by then (especially if you are reaching the mid-career age).... just like what my senior did....been with SQ for 15 years....got married...left the job....doing a normal customer service desk job ... attending courses...and she will definitely look for a better opportunity elsewhere..

wav35_

Post by wav35_ » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:54 pm

dreamsaw wrote:
Based on what I've heard, it's quite common to hit $6-8k, with minimum abt $4k.. it's not hard to see why so many ppl want this job :p
I dun think you hit that much for a FS/FSS. My crew friend told me average out $3k plus to $4k plus monthly, although once in a very long while you can hit $6k and above if u are on many long haul flights that month. And increments only for LS/LSS and above.

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 1:20 am

wav35_ wrote:I dun think you hit that much for a FS/FSS. My crew friend told me average out $3k plus to $4k plus monthly, although once in a very long while you can hit $6k and above if u are on many long haul flights that month. And increments only for LS/LSS and above.
hmm...probably different airlines have different average salaries o.o

Rouge

Post by Rouge » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 1:30 am

calvink wrote:But anyway, no harm keep trying and be persistent if you really want the job... but just have to keep in mind that career switch from a cabin crew to a desk job is not that easy...your chances will definitely be lower ....

You might have to take up courses to upgrade your skills...and look for a better opportunity if you really leave SIA by then (especially if you are reaching the mid-career age).... just like what my senior did....been with SQ for 15 years....got married...left the job....doing a normal customer service desk job ... attending courses...and she will definitely look for a better opportunity elsewhere..
Well if I really get into SIA, most likely I'll stay till I retire. Tired of freelancing where there is very little stability. I understand from my fren that SIA doesn't really like the idea of recruiting people who takes this job as a stepping stone, hence doesn't take the job seriously. Wonder how true is that.

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 1:35 am

Rouge wrote:What is the average age range that went for the interview? Anyone older than 26 and got in? For the two guys who didn't get in, were they over-confident even though they can speak well? Or relate their job experience to the passage when they weren't told to do so?
Rouge wrote:I am a dance instructor and have only been in this job all my life, been 7yrs now and I'm 28 this year. Don't know if I'm too old for the job.
I think the average age range was 21 (after NS) to about 26 (alr working for a few years after uni graduation), but I didn't ask around to see if anyone > 26 yrs old got in - also cos not many ppl revealed their age during the interview.. sorry abt that. The two guys related their job experiences to the topic (which was relevant), not the passage. I didn't get a sense that they were overconfident, but their confidence/eloquence might have been misconstrued by the interviewers as overconfidence, or maybe their answers weren't well-liked.

I suppose 28 yrs old is okay if you maintain well, but SIA is indeed harsher on females (Rouge, are you female? I'm assuming so..) in terms of youthfulness and beauty (eg. regular BMI checks and pressure to lose weight if necessary)..
Last edited by dreamsaw on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 1:41 am

Rouge wrote:I understand from my fren that SIA doesn't really like the idea of recruiting people who takes this job as a stepping stone, hence doesn't take the job seriously. Wonder how true is that.
This is true. During the interview, the interviewer questioned me abt where I see myself in this career down the line and mentioned the high turnover rate among cabin crew who leave after 1-2 years, before commenting that it's a waste of resources on them.

Rouge

Post by Rouge » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 2:52 am

dreamsaw wrote:
Rouge wrote:What is the average age range that went for the interview? Anyone older than 26 and got in? For the two guys who didn't get in, were they over-confident even though they can speak well? Or relate their job experience to the passage when they weren't told to do so?
Rouge wrote:I am a dance instructor and have only been in this job all my life, been 7yrs now and I'm 28 this year. Don't know if I'm too old for the job.
I think the average age range was 21 (after NS) to about 26 (alr working for a few years after uni graduation), but I didn't ask around to see if anyone > 26 yrs old got in - also cos not many ppl revealed their age during the interview.. sorry abt that. The two guys related their job experiences to the topic (which was relevant), not the passage. I didn't get a sense that they were overconfident, but their confidence/eloquence might have been misconstrued by the interviewers as overconfidence, or maybe their answers weren't well-liked.

I suppose 28 yrs old is okay if you maintain well, but SIA is indeed harsher on females (Rouge, are you female? I'm assuming so..) in terms of youthfulness and beauty (eg. regular BMI checks and pressure to lose weight if necessary)..
What about mass intro? Did they reveal their age? Yes I'm female.

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:38 am

Rouge wrote:What about mass intro? Did they reveal their age? Yes I'm female.
Not really for the girls.. it was mainly the guys who revealed their age.