Singapore Expats

Work from Home Culture in Singapore?

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
Seemstobe

Work from Home Culture in Singapore?

Post by Seemstobe » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:52 am

Hi fellow FTWM,
The concept of working from home is really common in the US but I have heard that its a totally different culture in Singapore . Wanted to know if this is a myth or firms in Singapore are supportive of such an arrangement ? Is it specific to MNCs only ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 7:10 am

The concept here is that if the boss can't see you he doesn't believe he's getting his money's worth. Only a couple companies really practice that. The only one that immediately comes to mind is HP. But I don't know if they are still promoting it or not. Most do not. MNC or SME.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:40 am

Almost non existent. As the other poster said - 'to be seen, is to be working' - this is not just the bosses problem but also one for parents (no mother believes her kid is working from home - she thinks the kid has been fired) and colleagues (wah! - so lucky - boss cannot see you ah?).
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:42 am

I might add that MSFT have tried this and failed I believe.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Seemstobe

Post by Seemstobe » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 9:38 am

Any WFHM please raise your hand !! ... i really find it hard to believe there are hardly any WFHMs in this forum

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:07 am

It depends on what type of WFHM you are actually talking about. Are you a citizen or a PR? Or, are you on a Dependent's pass or LTVP pass?

Will make a big difference as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Seemstobe

Post by Seemstobe » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:45 am

Why would the citizenship or PR matter in this respect ? Are there special work privileges for full time working moms who are PRs ? Am new to Singapore hence don't have insights into these things.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:56 am

You didn't answer my question.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:36 am

my work place has a WFH system, subject to approval (of course) and .. well, you need to prove you have a seperate office room / area at home, prove your internet / phone line is ok .. etc. etc

I have one colleague of mine, from JB/Malaysia, who requested to work twice a week from home, in view of her three kids. She produced pictures of her 'office room' at home ..

Approved

And so does another Singaporean guy, who's wife is taking up some exam -3 days a week from home. Approved as well.

Others, if the job needs face to face meetings, no allowed / not likely to be approved.

HR has said they will only consider 5 days a week WFH only on a strictly case by case basis.

Then again, the colleague who works from home, I can see she is sometimes lost, as not all communication goes by EMail - all verbal communication is misplaced .. and she gets left behind .. often.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:38 am

Seemstobe wrote:Why would the citizenship or PR matter in this respect ? Are there special work privileges for full time working moms who are PRs ? Am new to Singapore hence don't have insights into these things.
Yes it matters.

Citizens and PRs do not have to go through MOM for employment approval (be it WFM or not) but foreigners have to go through MOM for ANY approval for employment, and that category includes EP/SPass/WP as well as their trailing spouses on DP (subject to additional permission via LOC) or LTVP (LTVP holders are not allowed to work at all).

Hence, the question.