Singapore Expats

Too Many Ads

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Too Many Ads

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 5:05 pm

Okay, this forum is getting worse than a TODAY newspaper with the amount of real estate being taken by adverts.

In the newspaper we have to suffer stories going over multiple pages just so we are forced to see more ads. Now this forum has removed 1/3 of the real estate space for actually seeing stuff and replaced it by ads.

Not so bad on many of you guys with 19", 20" or 22" monitors but bear a thought for us on 11" or 13" laptop screens and I might start having to send you a bill for the upgrade to my glasses.

Oh, and don't bother to tell me about the Zoom function because set once, it effects all pages and with multiple tabs opening, closing, reopening the last thing I need is to keep changing the zoom ratio on each page. Honestly, I don't mind a few ads here or there but it's doing my head in already.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 6:11 pm

This is definitely not a good move

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 6:32 pm

Relax ... still tweaking.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 8:56 pm

New site layout is broken in some posts on Chrome and Safari (both WebKit) on OS X:

http://i.imgur.com/VhV3z.png

Looked ok in firefox on OS X.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 9:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:New site layout is broken in some posts on Chrome and Safari (both WebKit) on OS X:

Thanks for the feedback.

That thread is broken due to the extra long URL from genenotology. Will try my best to fix that.
Singapore Expats

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Too Many Ads

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 9:11 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Okay, this forum is getting worse than a TODAY newspaper with the amount of real estate being taken by adverts.

In the newspaper we have to suffer stories going over multiple pages just so we are forced to see more ads. Now this forum has removed 1/3 of the real estate space for actually seeing stuff and replaced it by ads.

Not so bad on many of you guys with 19", 20" or 22" monitors but bear a thought for us on 11" or 13" laptop screens and I might start having to send you a bill for the upgrade to my glasses.

Oh, and don't bother to tell me about the Zoom function because set once, it effects all pages and with multiple tabs opening, closing, reopening the last thing I need is to keep changing the zoom ratio on each page. Honestly, I don't mind a few ads here or there but it's doing my head in already.
The font size is back to normal now.

This forum has the luxury of 100% screen width for the past 10 years cos we have been trying our best to maintain it that way.

Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing costs we have to finally re-layout the forum for more ad space. By doing this we can also use a same layout throughout all the sections in this site.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Singapore Expats

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:41 pm

zzm9980 wrote:New site layout is broken in some posts on Chrome and Safari (both WebKit) on OS X:

Solved! Check again.
Singapore Expats

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:14 pm

It's like trying to read sms's from a 12 year old nokia phone. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:23 pm

Ahhhhhh. That better! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:38 pm

Editing while I type :)

Anymore wish list?
Singapore Expats

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:46 pm

That looks pretty good but one question. Is is possible to keep the fixed width for the advertising column as it but have the forum variable width frame that follows the remainder of the browser window? e.g., minimum & maximum frame width. if someone has a smaller screen with the fixed forum width they might have to keep scrolling back & forth.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 12:58 am

Those with smaller screens can now toggle the screen size BIG / SMALL by clicking "Change screen size" above!

Try it, I think it works :)
Singapore Expats

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 6:46 am

Sorry, Pal. Had to crash last night, but yeah, that should do it. The toggle screen works just fine. Bagus, Lah! :wink:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 8:34 am

See my other post in this forum on problem faced, didn't know this was being discussed in this one.

Then again, this is about the problems people are noticing, I also asked if there was an announcement.

To add - after posting, does not automatically take you back to your post as it used to, you have to click on the link now.

Click Here to view your message

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 9:40 am

Pal wrote:Those with smaller screens can now toggle the screen size BIG / SMALL by clicking "Change screen size" above!

Try it, I think it works :)
This works well.

Since you're on a roll, can we get the "Cat" sub-forum, and move all cat threads to it?