Singapore Expats

Why is my wife Long Pass Rejected?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
IceecI

Post by IceecI » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:05 am

taxico wrote:
IceecI wrote:
taxico wrote:have you sought help from your local RC or seen your MP?
The last time i went and get my Mp to write a letter but it is useless also.
but i find no harm meeting up.
lol
MPs have a little more weight these days. perhaps you should try another one - maybe one in your parents' or siblings' GRC/SMC.

and why did she cancel her S pass?

if i've read your original post correctly, you may be married, but where's the child you've made with her?

perhaps the problem is that your son was not born by your current vietnamese wife but from a previous marriage (6-7 year old boy, but you only got married to her in feb 2012).
I can go to my parent Grc?
Is kinda sad when i think of here as my home.
:(

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 1:36 am

my apologies. i misunderstood it. my condolences on your loss.

at the end of the day, i'm unsure how your son with your late wife fit into the picture of your new marriage although seemingly it does form a complete "family unit."

maybe the people looking at your your application do not think so and treat it as if it were just you and her. especially since you do not have any children with her.

as for parents' GRC, yes, you can try it. some MPs don't mind and you are your parents' son after all, so it will affect your parents too (the whole looking after elderly parents thing).

i also know of people who go from MP to MP with their problems, to some success.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:50 am

I also misunderstood, my apologies also.

In that case, I'm not sure why they'd reject.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Why is my wife Long Pass Rejected?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:23 pm

IceecI wrote:HI all,
I have some issues and hope the Pros here could advice.
My wife is a Vietnamese, we got married in fed 2012. I have a kid from with my later wife.
So after ROM with my Viet Wife, i applied for long term pass as she canceled her SP. It was not approved and of 4mths + of appeal we got a 6mths short term. During this waiting time we have been going in n out Msian about 4 time and we where hold back by the Msian custom ( whom wanna a ang pow ), so its a bad ideal.
Ok so her pass expired around christmas, and we have re-apply , a long term pass via Ica.
Guess what it was not approved again with no reason stated.
Its very stressful as we have a kid at home and he will be in Pri 1 next year. I have to work and she gotta take care of him.

If I'm not wrong, our PM Lee said we need children( birth rate ). So we got married.
I did as what my country needed and plan to have kids. But ICA is making things difficult for Man With Foreign Wife.
A friend of my with a 3yrs old gal also had a hard time getting a long term pass for the mother of their child.

So pls try to advice me on;
What i should do?
What are the reasons its not approved?

Many Thanks in advance
:D
My 2¢, for what it's worth.....

I feel that maybe the ICA is looking at the chain of events surrounding your marriage. Let me elaborate (and I hope I'm wrong on 2nd guessing ICA):

You have only been married to a Vietnamese wife for less than a year. Shortly after marrying she quits her job. ICA is protective of it male citizens here and maybe they are wondering WHY after securing a Singaporean husband, she is giving up her S pass. I would have to ask the same question. Wouldn't it be better if she had continued to be employed? Or was her job in jeopardy anyway and she was looking for a way to stay in Singapore without any problems.

Who was looking after your child before you married this woman? Couldn't that same person continue to help look after the child after you married? I'm not dissing your decisions, but just asking questions that may have occurred to the ICA officer who rejected her application.

You comment about PM Lee saying the country needs children doesn't gell. You already have a child and your marriage to your current spouse has not produced any children. Additionally, while we know your income level. If it's not at least $2,800/mo and possibly over 3K/mo, regardless of having ROM'd in Singapore, ICA will not give her an LTVP as they don't feel you can support her (this especially so with her having quit her job, some more). Add to that the additional costs of a schooling child, the level of income required would probably be pushed up from 2.8l~3K/mo to maybe more than 3.5K/mo.

At least that is the way I'm reading it at the moment....

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

IceecI

Post by IceecI » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 5:04 pm

Hi all
thanks for the tips, advice and point of view.
i think i wasn't clear on that she leave her job 2 mths before we rom.

By reading all of the replies , i can look out of the box. ( as it is rather hard to see the pic when i am in it and stress)

Many Thanks again. :D

Now may be i will be going through some steps like going to mps and writing a appeal letter again.
By the way do any peers here know how is the best way to write a appeal letter?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 8:30 pm

IceecI wrote:...she leave her job 2 mths before we rom.

...writing a appeal letter again.
By the way do any peers here know how is the best way to write a appeal letter?
i think you need to think of a good reason why she gave up her job and re-read sunday's last reply.

was the reason to be a full time wife and step-mother (and daughter-in-law)?

in that case an LTVP should suffice - perhaps being prepared to sacrifice the working rights (LTVP+) may convince them. but what about in future?

i have never seen a "standard format" for appeal letters. it may sometimes help if the MP (or at least a minion) helps you write it and send it off.

good luck!