Singapore Expats

Successful PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:46 am

v4jr4 wrote:
Callput wrote:The ironic part is Malays too came from Indonesia and so they are also not Bhumiputra in the true sense.
[OOT] To me, the most ironic part is that most of them in both groups (Malaysians and Indonesians) tried to "sever" this connection. But within the past several years, the Chinese groups are accepted bit by bit in Indonesia, even in politics. It's a good thing :mrgreen:

[BTT] Even if gahmen tries to pull out the Malaysian-Chinese from Malaysia, I wonder how it will boost the birth rate :P
What I like about Indonesia politics is (although I dont know much about it) that regions have been given some autonomy, like for eg Bali is still allowed to be a Hindu kingdom and its ministers are all Hindus so that way they are allowed keep their culture alive even though they are minority in the country as a whole.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:21 am

Callput wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
Callput wrote:The ironic part is Malays too came from Indonesia and so they are also not Bhumiputra in the true sense.
[OOT] To me, the most ironic part is that most of them in both groups (Malaysians and Indonesians) tried to "sever" this connection. But within the past several years, the Chinese groups are accepted bit by bit in Indonesia, even in politics. It's a good thing :mrgreen:

[BTT] Even if gahmen tries to pull out the Malaysian-Chinese from Malaysia, I wonder how it will boost the birth rate :P
What I like about Indonesia politics is (although I dont know much about it) that regions have been given some autonomy, like for eg Bali is still allowed to be a Hindu kingdom and its ministers are all Hindus so that way they are allowed keep their culture alive even though they are minority in the country as a whole.
Yes. Bali and Jogja are not fully dictated by the central government. Even so, I haven't seen someone's interested to make both of them as a new hub :P
"Budget Expat"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 5:21 pm

Callput wrote: - In fact the word Bhumpiputra is of Indian origin :)
- Hindu temples there like Batu caves and tells me Indians came to this place really long long time ago before the British.
- Also the Indian influence in Thailand and Indonesia is really intriguing.
- Most Indonesian names are Hindu names.
- Bangkok's international airport name is again so Indian.
- Singapura is also Indian origin, btw :)
Is the above an example of life imitating art?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5QgeCL1fs
Mr 'Everything Comes From India' scenes (Goodness Gracious Me)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 5:24 pm

D'you know what JR? I had exactly the same thought when I saw the earlier post. Didn't have time to dig out the clip though; thanks for posting it. That show was quite ground-breaking in its day, wouldn't you agree?

The Royal family, they're all Indian - descended from Queen Victoria, Empress of India. :lol:
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 5:52 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:D'you know what JR? I had exactly the same thought when I saw the earlier post. Didn't have time to dig out the clip though; thanks for posting it. That show was quite ground-breaking in its day, wouldn't you agree?

The Royal family, they're all Indian - descended from Queen Victoria, Empress of India. :lol:
I'd agree it was. It showed a level of 'social arrival' or belonging, in that they had the comfort and confidence to needle and lampoon themselves so mercilessly.

p.s. '... Except Prince Charles, with ears that big, like elephants, he must be from Africa!' :lol:

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 8:44 pm

JR8 wrote:
Callput wrote: - In fact the word Bhumpiputra is of Indian origin :)
- Hindu temples there like Batu caves and tells me Indians came to this place really long long time ago before the British.
- Also the Indian influence in Thailand and Indonesia is really intriguing.
- Most Indonesian names are Hindu names.
- Bangkok's international airport name is again so Indian.
- Singapura is also Indian origin, btw :)
Is the above an example of life imitating art?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5QgeCL1fs
Mr 'Everything Comes From India' scenes (Goodness Gracious Me)
Haha, thanks JR8, absolutely enjoyed watching this. I am going to share this on Facebook :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:53 pm

Callput wrote: Haha, thanks JR8, absolutely enjoyed watching this. I am going to share this on Facebook :)
I'm glad you can see the humour in it, it is a bit of a classic sketch that one!

The show 'Kumars at #42' .... don't know if you've heard of it. It was very popular in the UK, including - or maybe especially?? - with the Indian-origin community. In fact it became a popular catchphrase for a number of months back at that time... someone would make a claim about something, the more outlandish the better, and someone else would spontaneously add 'Indian you know!'.

tmtmy

Re: PR Approved

Post by tmtmy » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:30 pm

I waited half a year for my PR approval. Below is my criteria

27 years old Malaysian Chinese,
Mechanical Engineer in O&G
Income > $40k pa
Bachelor first class honors (Aussie Uni)
Started working in SG holding Employment Pass type Q since Nov 2010
First applied in May 2012, approved in early Oct 2012, formalities done in early Nov 2012

I hope the above info is helpful to those would be applicants. :D

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 9:20 am

Just curious, how favourable are Ang Moh applications for PR? Also how about Thai people? Thanks.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Mon, 03 Dec 2012 9:36 am

noskich wrote:Just curious, how favourable are Ang Moh applications for PR? Also how about Thai people? Thanks.
Not very favourable, main reason: hardly any ang moh convert to citizen