Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 3:46 am

MeganL wrote:Anyone who went for the interview today care to share and update what are the stages like? I heard from my friend that they brought forward the kebaya round and that they'll let you know whether you've passed the interview either by post or phone call, which is weird because the interview stages are split into 2 days for the past few interviews right? :/
Hi, I'm a guy who went for the interview (after the lunch break) but I'm just gonna post anyway.. hope it helps :)

-Stage 1-
Mass introductions: Applicants (about 10-11 per group) sit in a row and one-by-one asked by a panel of 2 interviewers to stand up and talk for 1 minute, stating their name, give a short intro of themselves (eg. age, school, course of study, work), and answer a question. Everyone has to answer the same question, so obviously those sitting near/at the end of the row have much more time to think. The question my group got was: If you were to learn a foreign language, what would it be and why? Other common/possible questions you may get (based on what I've heard): What is your favourite colour and why? Who is your favourite superhero? What is your dream destination? etc. I observed that the interviewers focused less on what we were saying and more on the posture, body language, gestures.. not just of the person standing up but also of those sitting down as well, so I guess it's important to maintain good posture and appropriate facial expressions even when sitting down and listening to others speak (ie. throughout the whole round). This is a stage where I feel a bit 'unfair' for others, cos I (and another girl) was fumbling over some of my words and stammered a bit due to nervousness but I got through, while others who spoke much better than me (confidence level, smoothness, content-wise) didn't get through. Maybe I smiled more while some of the others looked more serious? I really don't know why. 2 guys and 3 girls from my group got through (the other guy who got through talked like he was narrating a well-rehearsed story..). I peeped at the results list and saw only 5 lines to write down the names, so perhaps the max successful applicants allowed per group for Stage 1 is 5? Average is 2-5, based on what I've heard from those who went after the lunch break o.o

-Stage 2-
Height test + Document verification: Height test is where they measure your height (shoes off) and then ask you to stretch or tip-toe to touch a line that's pasted on the wall. The thing is, you can't stretch/tip-toe to touch the line with your toes already touching the wall - they actually ask you to stand some distance away from the wall before allowing you to try and touch the line, so it may look easier than it is (I saw a girl unable to touch the line because of this). Document verification is where they ask you to show your identification card and highest attained education cert to verify with your application form. Some guy showed only photocopies of his documents but still got through, even though the website said 'originals'..

-Stage 3-
Skin check: For guys, not really a 'skin check' but have to roll up your sleeves and remove your watch/accessories to check your forearms - top and underside - for any visible scars or tattoos. If the person catches any marks or what, he'll ask you abt it and you'll have to explain (eg. 'it's just a small cut that will go off in a few weeks/months'). After that, he'll ask you to walk abt 5 metres forward and back to see your posture, before facing him and giving him a smile..lol. For girls, based on the little that I saw when I was inside (the guys and girls were in the same room for Stage 3), they'll really take their time to scrutinize your skin and teeth using rather harsh spotlights, before asking you to do a catwalk. Some girls didn't make it to the catwalk. This is a stage where I feel a bit 'unfair' for many of them, cos I heard that several ppl had seemingly perfect skin but didn't get through this stage. I overheard from someone that they were actually looking for more 'Chinese-looking girls' for today's interview, which perhaps caused many of them to not pass this round, including those exotic-looking Pan Asian types with flawless skin.

-Stage 4-
One-to-one interview: Turns out it was a two-interviewers-one-interviewee round instead of 'one-to-one'. lol. Two faced-down English passages - you randomly choose one, turn it face-up and read it aloud. The passage is actually abt a scenario that can happen in a flight/airline industry, so after reading it aloud you have to talk abt what you would do in that situation. The one I picked turned out to be abt inflight make-up standards, even though I'm a guy. But I just answered anyway. In fact, I completely misread the scenario and only realised it later, before changing my answer. [Note: from some people I heard, many of the scenario questions have to do with choosing between service and safety (eg. 'would you allow a VIP, such as a sultan, to bring his son into the cockpit during a flight if he requests for it?'). My advice is to ALWAYS choose safety over service (eg. politely explaining that to ensure safety, his son is not allowed to enter the cockpit during flight but maybe another visit can be arranged during downtime, or to offer him a complimentary bottle of wine if he insists/gets angry).] After answering that part, they'll ask you interview questions such as: Why do you want to be a cabin crew? Why do you choose SIA? Why do you not prefer Ground positions? Why do you think you suit the role of a cabin crew? What makes you different from the other applicants? Are you aware of the roles of a cabin crew? Do you know that you'll have to clean the lavatories (toilets) as well? Do you know that some rules in the airline industry are considered 'draconian' (strict, severe)? What do you feel about such things? They won't ask ALL these questions, but these are some of the questions they're likely to ask. It actually felt more like a conversation (at least for me), so don't be too nervous. And also remember to SMILE and ensure some eye contact with BOTH interviewers. I did observe, though, that they kept commenting on my results in school (I did well in 'O' and 'A' Levels), which makes me think that they emphasize more on academic qualifications than what is represented on their website ('At least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits'). I really get a sense that they care a whole lot abt paper qualifications cos I made several mistakes (fumbling over my words, repeating my points, and even misreading the whole scenario question) but still somehow managed to get through.. I think much of it also depends on who your interviewers are, and whether you can 'smile your way through' tough questions.

-Stage 5, 6, ...-
This is all on Day 2 at SIA Training Centre (Changi area), one day after the first-day interview, so I haven't been there and can't say much abt it. Heard that the kebaya-fitting stage has been changed to be on this day. There's also the management round where they pit 3 applicants against 3 applicants in a debate abt a topic, as well as ask sensitive/hard-to-answer questions such as 'Who among here do you think don't deserve to be a cabin crew?' So I guess have to try and be diplomatic and 'neutral'? I heard only about half who make it to the management round get through..

All in all, it was an eye-opening experience for me. I went for the interview just to see what it's like and had little expectations for myself (it's my first time), but didn't expect to clear so many stages considering that I didn't read up much on SIA, didn't really take care of my skin, carried a dumb-looking haversack etc., and still have quite a long period of 5-6 months before I graduate (the interviewer actually mentioned that I may have attended the interview too early). Personally, it was the biggest gathering of glamorous-looking people I've ever seen in real life, with everyone sizing up one another's appearance whenever they walk past someone or saw someone walk past them. It felt really competitive and quite intense, so you definitely need some way to calm yourself down (eg. making small talk with other applicants). And even though I got through Day 1, I'm definitely not blind to how 'unfair' the interview process can be, for reasons mentioned earlier. A lot of it is beyond your control, really, so don't be too hard on yourself. But this may not be easy for those who've already tried many times..

Phew, I think my post is too long.. lol :p
Last edited by dreamsaw on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 11:31 am

Thank you dreamsaw for the long but detailed post :D I'm sure it'll help clarify some of our doubts here! Oh which means you'll be going for the last and final day of interview today? Goodluck to you!

ultimatetauros

Post by ultimatetauros » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 11:34 am

got booted out of first round, spent months preparing with my friend with the cabin crew manual..i guess i misinterpret the question and couldnt answer the questions that confidently...hoping the next interview will be soon, i guess i can only take this as lesson learnt...damn =(

gigiq

Post by gigiq » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 11:45 am

Hello! Anybody want to share Kristine or Luke manual? I would like to go for the next interview!

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Post by xin1993 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:21 pm

Rouge wrote:The consultant is young or old? How was the skin test conducted? It really depends on luck. Maybe she's in the mood to fail people.
The consultant is quite young. The other three are older ladies but they seem more lenient. I was one of the last girls in my round to get checked so I observed that the other 3 passed a few while my consultant passed only one. Yea, she looked like she was already in a bad mood that morning. :/

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Post by xin1993 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:25 pm

wav35_ wrote:SIA is definitely stricter in today's recruitment. Heard that they dun really need alot of people but there was a massive turnout today - queue was all the way to the main road out of the hotel compound in the morning.

My friend told me that they were more lenient in the afternoon after lunch break, much more people were successful in the first round vs only 2 or 3 per group in the morning. SIA prob kicked out too many people in the morning, even if they were good. :(

Seems like timing is really important!
I reached there around 7.30 and I was in one of the early groups. 6 out of 10 passed the first round so I don't think it's because of timing. 2 others were booted out from my group during height check. After I got booted out of skin check for some reason, it was around 9.30 and I must agree with you that the queue was crazy long. I couldn't even see the end of the queue when I exited the hotel.
Last edited by xin1993 on Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Post by xin1993 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:33 pm

dreamsaw wrote:Personally, it was the biggest gathering of glamorous-looking people I've ever seen in real life, with everyone sizing up one other's appearance whenever they walk past someone or saw someone walk past them. It felt really competitive and quite intense, so you definitely need some way to calm yourself down (eg. making small talk with other applicants). And even though I got through Day 1, I'm definitely not blind to how 'unfair' the interview process actually is/can be, for reasons mentioned earlier. A lot of it is beyond your control, really, so don't be too hard on yourself. But this may not be easy for those who've already tried many times..
I agree with you! It was scary walking past the people queueing up while I was headed to skin check. Unfortunately, I got booted out there and I had to walk down the stairs of shame and disappointment. Please give a detailed post about today's management round and what you observed today. I'm so curious about it since it was my first time going yesterday and I didn't manage to experience the other rounds.

shinjiono84

Post by shinjiono84 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:35 pm

xin1993 wrote:
Rouge wrote:The consultant is young or old? How was the skin test conducted? It really depends on luck. Maybe she's in the mood to fail people.
The consultant is quite young. The other three are older ladies but they seem more lenient. I was one of the last girls in my round to get checked so I observed that the other 3 passed a few while my consultant passed only one. Yea, she looked like she was already in a bad mood that morning. :/
mine was the young lady, and she still can chit chat non stop with me. for me the only reason i could think of was my teeth haha. im a guy btw.

so which group were u in. my group only had 3 people that went past the first round.

frued
Regular
Regular

Post by frued » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:35 pm

@gigiq
Hey I'm interested! But possible to get more ppl do we can pay like <10/person?

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Post by xin1993 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 12:39 pm

shinjiono84 wrote:mine was the young lady, and she still can chit chat non stop with me. for me the only reason i could think of was my teeth haha. im a guy btw.

so which group were u in. my group only had 3 people that went past the first round.
Is she the one with short boyish hair? I was in Group 10. Which group were you in? Skin check is tougher on girls. :(

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 4:42 pm

MeganL wrote:Thank you dreamsaw for the long but detailed post :D I'm sure it'll help clarify some of our doubts here! Oh which means you'll be going for the last and final day of interview today? Goodluck to you!
xin1993 wrote:Please give a detailed post about today's management round and what you observed today. I'm so curious about it since it was my first time going yesterday and I didn't manage to experience the other rounds.
DAY 2 (continued from my previous post...)

-Stage 5-
Management round: There's some simple paperwork abt your medical history to fill up before this stage, so I won't talk abt it further. For the management round, applicants are split into groups of 6, with each group entering a private meeting room to face a panel of 3 interviewers (management ppl). For the 1st part of this round, the 6 applicants are split into 3 pairs. Each pair is given 3-4 minutes to find out more abt each other, before standing up and introducing each other (your partner). The interviewers said that we should try to introduce our partners with interesting stuff that's not already found in our applications forms (which are all laid out in front of the interviewers to see), so we tried to find out some 'fun facts' abt our partners. Obviously, those ppl who stand up and speak first have a slight advantage cos the info abt their partners are still fresh in their heads. I was the last person to talk so I said that 'I'll try to introduce her as best as I can remember'..lol. During the introductions, I observed that ppl tend to also comment on the impression of their partners they had when talking to them (so I did the same), and that the interviewers may sometimes follow up on what was being said by asking for more details abt you or your partner (eg. hobbies, current job scope, etc.).

For the 2nd part of the management round, it was an open discussion abt a topic with 2 possible stands (For or Against / Option 1 or Option 2), so it wasn't 3 ppl vs. 3 ppl as I'd expected. The topic my group got was 'If you were to hire an employee, would you choose someone who's hardworking or someone who's street-wise? Given that you can't have the ideal combination of both traits, which one would you hire? There's no right or wrong answer, and anyone can start the ball rolling'. Another group in another room had the topic abt the importing of dolphins for public entertainment purposes: For or Against. Personally, I feel that if you speak first/earlier, you have an advantage as you don't have to try and say things that have already been mentioned (unlike those who speak later). But some of you may feel that speaking later allows you to leverage on what has been said (give you inspiration), to add on to the points mentioned, or to counter with your own ideas. I was the 4th to speak and, as usual, I fumbled over my words and ideas. Oh well.

For the 3rd part (last part) of the management round, we're each told to turn a faced-down English passage in front of us face-up, before standing up to read the longest paragraph found in the passage. This passage is different from the scenario-based one in the Stage 4 interview - it's now like a mini-story, from the POV of a passenger on a flight. Some ppl read like they were taking an English Oral exam, with highs and lows in their voices. For me, I was so nervous I almost rushed through it and made some pronunciation errors. After the management round, all of us left to await the results outside. The entire management round takes abt 20-30 minutes. I could tell that everyone was nervous thereafter.

Again, I cannot over-emphasize how baffling the management's decision-making process (on who gets through and who doesn't) is, because the results were surprising. 4 out of 6 of us in my group made it. 2 guys in my group whom I thought spoke really well during part 2 (both of them related the topic and their views to their working experiences) didn't get through, while another guy and I, whom I felt were the two worst speakers during part 3 (being honest here, not humble), made it. Another girl who read the full passage during part 3 - instead of only the longest paragraph as told - got in too. It's really quite weird. But I suppose most of us who got through wouldn't really question it like I do, and were happy. I could really see the disappointment in the faces of those who didn't make it, having come so far in the stages..

-Stage 6-
For girls, kebaya-fitting. I'm sorry but I can't help much here as it was held in another room, and I wouldn't wanna peep~lol. For guys, some simple paperwork (bankbook info, signature, etc.), document verification (all your official and photocopied docs - they're stringent with this), and a briefing abt some contract policies (bond, contract period, etc.). You're practically through at this stage.

-Stage 7-
For the girls, some simple paperwork (bankbook info, signature, etc.), document verification (all your official and photocopied docs - they're stringent with this), and a briefing abt some contract policies (bond, contract period, etc.). Like the guys, you're practically through at this stage.

-Final Stage-
The medical round, to be completed within 2 working days from today. I can't say anything abt this...yet.

That's the end of my experience during the past 2 days. Please try not to think that all these interview stages are fixed and will not change. For example, the 3v3 debate segment was in the last interview but was taken out this time round, and the kebaya-fitting was also shifted.. so things may change for every interview that takes place.

P.S. Please don't quote me if it's not true but I asked an employee when the next cabin crew interview will be and she said mid-January 2013, and that SIA will try to have an interview every month or so. Best wishes to all hopefuls out there! :)

skyflyer

Post by skyflyer » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 8:32 pm

wav35_ wrote:SIA is definitely stricter in today's recruitment. Heard that they dun really need alot of people but there was a massive turnout today - queue was all the way to the main road out of the hotel compound in the morning.

My friend told me that they were more lenient in the afternoon after lunch break, much more people were successful in the first round vs only 2 or 3 per group in the morning. SIA prob kicked out too many people in the morning, even if they were good. :(

Seems like timing is really important!
Nope. I was in the afternoon one and my grp only me and another girl went through. Other grps i heard they call out their names also only 2 or 3 lol. It really depends luh dont think morning or afternoon better. There are cases all good and all got chosen to proceed, and cases all cant make it and went home. Peace :)

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 8:56 pm

dreamsaw wrote: That's the end of my experience during the past 2 days. Please try not to think that all these interview stages are fixed and will not change. For example, the 3v3 debate segment was in the last interview but was taken out this time round, and the kebaya-fitting was also shifted.. so things may change for every interview that takes place.

P.S. Please don't quote me if it's not true but I asked an employee when the next cabin crew interview will be and she said mid-January 2013, and that SIA will try to have an interview every month or so. Best wishes to all hopefuls out there! :)
Even though SIA's not expanding that rapidly(as compared to Silkair or other airlines), the staff turn-over rate is quite high so I'm also guessing another interview around Jan/Feb too.

Whoa. Congratulations on clearing everything on your first try! Beginners luck ya ;) All the best for your medical! So envious. SIA's interview is one of the most daunting interviews. haha

skyflyer

Post by skyflyer » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 8:56 pm

dreamsaw wrote:
MeganL wrote:Thank you dreamsaw for the long but detailed post :D I'm sure it'll help clarify some of our doubts here! Oh which means you'll be going for the last and final day of interview today? Goodluck to you!
xin1993 wrote:Please give a detailed post about today's management round and what you observed today. I'm so curious about it since it was my first time going yesterday and I didn't manage to experience the other rounds.
DAY 2 (continued from my previous post...)

-Stage 5-
Management round: There's some simple paperwork abt your medical history to fill up before this stage, so I won't talk abt it further. For the management round, applicants are split into groups of 6, with each group entering a private meeting room to face a panel of 3 interviewers (management ppl). For the 1st part of this round, the 6 applicants are split into 3 pairs. Each pair is given 3-4 minutes to find out more abt each other, before standing up and introducing each other (your partner). The interviewers said that we should try to introduce our partners with interesting stuff that's not already found in our applications forms (which are all laid out in front of the interviewers to see), so we tried to find out some 'fun facts' abt our partners. Obviously, those ppl who stand up and speak first have a slight advantage cos the info abt their partners are still fresh in their heads. I was the last person to talk so I said that 'I'll try to introduce her as best as I can remember'..lol. During the introductions, I observed that ppl tend to also comment on the impression of their partners they had when talking to them (so I did the same), and that the interviewers may sometimes follow up on what was being said by asking for more details abt you or your partner (eg. hobbies, current job scope, etc.).

For the 2nd part of the management round, it was an open discussion abt a topic with 2 possible stands (For or Against / Option 1 or Option 2), so it wasn't 3 ppl vs. 3 ppl as I'd expected. The topic my group got was 'If you were to hire an employee, would you choose someone who's hardworking or someone who's street-wise? Given that you can't have the ideal combination of both traits, which one would you hire? There's no right or wrong answer, and anyone can start the ball rolling'. Another group in another room had the topic abt the importing of dolphins for public entertainment purposes: For or Against. Personally, I feel that if you speak first/earlier, you have an advantage as you don't have to try and say things that have already been mentioned (unlike those who speak later). But some of you may feel that speaking later allows you to leverage on what has been said (give you inspiration), to add on to the points mentioned, or to counter with your own ideas. I was the 4th to speak and, as usual, I fumbled over my words and ideas. Oh well.

For the 3rd part (last part) of the management round, we're each told to turn a faced-down English passage in front of us face-up, before standing up to read the longest paragraph found in the passage. This passage is different from the scenario-based one in the Stage 4 interview - it's now like a mini-story, from the POV of a passenger on a flight. Some ppl read like they were taking an English Oral exam, with highs and lows in their voices. For me, I was so nervous I almost rushed through it and made some pronunciation errors. After the management round, all of us left to await the results outside. The entire management round takes abt 20-30 minutes. I could tell that everyone was nervous thereafter.

Again, I cannot over-emphasize how baffling the management's decision-making process (on who gets through and who doesn't) is, because the results were surprising. 4 out of 6 of us in my group made it. 2 guys in my group whom I thought spoke really well during part 2 (both of them related the topic and their views to their working experiences) didn't get through, while another guy and I, whom I felt were the two worst speakers during part 3 (being honest here, not humble), made it. Another girl who read the full passage during part 3 - instead of only the longest paragraph as told - got in too. It's really quite weird. But I suppose most of us who got through wouldn't really question it like I do, and were happy. I could really see the disappointment in the faces of those who didn't make it, having come so far in the stages..

-Stage 6-
For girls, kebaya-fitting. I'm sorry but I can't help much here as it was held in another room, and I wouldn't wanna peep~lol. For guys, some simple paperwork (bankbook info, signature, etc.), document verification (all your official and photocopied docs - they're stringent with this), and a briefing abt some contract policies (bond, contract period, etc.). You're practically through at this stage.

-Stage 7-
For the girls, some simple paperwork (bankbook info, signature, etc.), document verification (all your official and photocopied docs - they're stringent with this), and a briefing abt some contract policies (bond, contract period, etc.). Like the guys, you're practically through at this stage.

-Final Stage-
The medical round, to be completed within 2 working days from today. I can't say anything abt this...yet.

That's the end of my experience during the past 2 days. Please try not to think that all these interview stages are fixed and will not change. For example, the 3v3 debate segment was in the last interview but was taken out this time round, and the kebaya-fitting was also shifted.. so things may change for every interview that takes place.

Hey wow, is your name Adrian or something?

dreamsaw

Post by dreamsaw » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 9:02 pm

skyflyer wrote:Hey wow, is your name Adrian or something?
No.. haven't heard of him. Btw, I was in the morning batch for today.