Singapore Expats

Issues with my new Galaxy S3 LTE with Starhub.. HELP! :)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
deniall

Issues with my new Galaxy S3 LTE with Starhub.. HELP! :)

Post by deniall » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 1:55 pm

So in a nutshell, I bought a StarHub Galaxy SIII LTE phone yesterday, and I have some weird problems with it I was hoping someone else has seen them or knows what I should do.

Any time I try to download some apps over my WiFi (Chrome, Facebook, etc) I get an error that says "Package file is invalid". But if I disconnect from my WiFi and download these over the air it works fine. Is my phone defective? Should I take it back to Starhub? If anyone knows anything, it would be amazingly helpful.

Cheers!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 8:08 pm

Quite possibly a problem with the ISP on the wifi network you're connecting to. Are they caching or proxying anything? Have you tried multiple different wifi networks? Do yo know which ISPs they're using? Is this numerous different apps, or only a specific few? Try the Amazon App store? Buy an iPhone?

deniall

Post by deniall » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I am stuck with this phone unless Starhub gives some sort of 14-30 day return policy.

It seems to be only a few select applications. Some work fine downloading over WiFi, others give the "Invalid Package" error. Even Google Chrome gives me the error when downloading it over WiFi, but over the air it works just fine.

I actually used to have an iPhone but decided to switch to Android to see what it was all about lol.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:32 pm

deniall wrote: I actually used to have an iPhone but decided to switch to Android to see what it was all about lol.
And now you know what it's all about ;) (I say it as someone who owns multiple iOS and Android devices*).

Is there anything specific about the packages you can't get? Some commonality? I know a carrier can restrict you from installing/obtaining certain packages. Is it possibly the Wifi you're using is say SingTel or M1 and they don't approve the Starhub packages you're getting? (Long shot). Have you tried going to the Google Play store in your browser from your PC and sending the trouble packages directly to your device? What happens if these same packages are downloading, copied to the device by USB? (Just so we can troubleshoot if it Wifi causing the issue, or the issue is packages not coming via LTE)

*- And my conclusion from owning both is that iPhone limits what you can do, but just works, and usually well. As long as you only want to do what it lets you. Android gives you 1001 ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Great you have so many ways to install an app for example, but something is fundamentally wrong when you have to mess around to make those apps install. Also interestingly I googled your problem, and *lots* of people make posts about it happening. No sure solutions though. :(

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:43 pm

deniall wrote:Thanks for the reply. I think I am stuck with this phone unless Starhub gives some sort of 14-30 day return policy.

It seems to be only a few select applications. Some work fine downloading over WiFi, others give the "Invalid Package" error. Even Google Chrome gives me the error when downloading it over WiFi, but over the air it works just fine.

I actually used to have an iPhone but decided to switch to Android to see what it was all about lol.
You didn't answer zzm's question. Do you experience the same behavior on all wifi networks? For example, is it just your home wifi? Does it work on your work wifi? A friend's wifi? Singtel free wifi... a true piece of sh*t, BTW?

Everything loads from Google Play. An invalid package error means that it did not download the complete package and you have a checksum error that requires reloading.

This is why it is important to know if the problem persists across multiple wifi slots... to know if it is the wifi or an issue with the phone.

Please reply with the answer if you want a solution.

deniall

Post by deniall » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:38 am

zzm9980 wrote:
deniall wrote: I actually used to have an iPhone but decided to switch to Android to see what it was all about lol.
And now you know what it's all about ;) (I say it as someone who owns multiple iOS and Android devices*).

Is there anything specific about the packages you can't get? Some commonality? I know a carrier can restrict you from installing/obtaining certain packages. Is it possibly the Wifi you're using is say SingTel or M1 and they don't approve the Starhub packages you're getting? (Long shot). Have you tried going to the Google Play store in your browser from your PC and sending the trouble packages directly to your device? What happens if these same packages are downloading, copied to the device by USB? (Just so we can troubleshoot if it Wifi causing the issue, or the issue is packages not coming via LTE)

*- And my conclusion from owning both is that iPhone limits what you can do, but just works, and usually well. As long as you only want to do what it lets you. Android gives you 1001 ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Great you have so many ways to install an app for example, but something is fundamentally wrong when you have to mess around to make those apps install. Also interestingly I googled your problem, and *lots* of people make posts about it happening. No sure solutions though. :(
I haven't had a chance to test it on a different WiFi network yet, but that is my next thing to try. I did find an application that was giving me the error over WiFi, then tried what you suggested. I manually downloaded the APK and transferred it to my phone, and it worked fine doing a local installation.

I have StarHub for my internet, and I don't see why they would be able to block certain packages from google play, like you said.. Long shot.

I haven't been able to nail down a pattern quite yet as to which apps fail, and which apps work.. but I'll keep you posted when I get a chance to try it on a different WiFi network. Thanks so much for the help! :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:47 am

deniall wrote: I haven't had a chance to test it on a different WiFi network yet, but that is my next thing to try. I did find an application that was giving me the error over WiFi, then tried what you suggested. I manually downloaded the APK and transferred it to my phone, and it worked fine doing a local installation.

I have StarHub for my internet, and I don't see why they would be able to block certain packages from google play, like you said.. Long shot.

I haven't been able to nail down a pattern quite yet as to which apps fail, and which apps work.. but I'll keep you posted when I get a chance to try it on a different WiFi network. Thanks so much for the help! :)
Starhub cable internet suffers through extended periods of general suckiness. It's not that they block packages, it's that they just don't download properly. I'm a dissatisfied customer.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:51 am

Well if it fails via your ISP/Wifi, keep in mind the major ISPs (Singtel, Starhub, maybe M1) do outbound web caching for everything, and you can't get around it. In most cases, you'll never notice, but I've had a few applications have problems with it. Basically, if your device makes an HTTP/HTTPS request, it'll look like it is coming from one IP (one of the caches), but if you make any other type of request, it'll be a completely different IP (your router's actual IP). I can't imagine this is actually affecting Google Play; there would be hundreds of thousands of impacted users here if that was the case.

The other thing in regards to your ISP is that certain telcos can block you from installing specific packages on your phone. I don't know how widely this is done in Singapore, but Google Wallet for example cannot be installed on Verizon (biggest US mobile telco) devices.

deniall

Post by deniall » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Well if it fails via your ISP/Wifi, keep in mind the major ISPs (Singtel, Starhub, maybe M1) do outbound web caching for everything, and you can't get around it. In most cases, you'll never notice, but I've had a few applications have problems with it. Basically, if your device makes an HTTP/HTTPS request, it'll look like it is coming from one IP (one of the caches), but if you make any other type of request, it'll be a completely different IP (your router's actual IP). I can't imagine this is actually affecting Google Play; there would be hundreds of thousands of impacted users here if that was the case.

The other thing in regards to your ISP is that certain telcos can block you from installing specific packages on your phone. I don't know how widely this is done in Singapore, but Google Wallet for example cannot be installed on Verizon (biggest US mobile telco) devices.
Turns out it must be something with this WiFi modem StarHub provided. I tried it over a WiFi at starbucks, and everything downloaded as it should. Perhaps I need to disable the WiFi on this, and get my own DLink or Linksys wireless router.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:09 pm

nakatago wrote:
deniall wrote: I haven't had a chance to test it on a different WiFi network yet, but that is my next thing to try. I did find an application that was giving me the error over WiFi, then tried what you suggested. I manually downloaded the APK and transferred it to my phone, and it worked fine doing a local installation.

Starhub cable internet suffers through extended periods of general suckiness. It's not that they block packages, it's that they just don't download properly. I'm a dissatisfied customer.
My Starhub cable has been great with in island speeds close to the advertised 60 meg... not always but quite decent... never had a package issue with my dog of an Android phone.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:24 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:

My Starhub cable has been great with in island speeds close to the advertised 60 meg... not always but quite decent... never had a package issue with my dog of an Android phone.
I think it's because you live on a less dense housing area. Speeds during the school holiday nights on weekends is just pathetic.

deniall

Post by deniall » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:46 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:

Yea, I'm not sure.. all I know is it worked fine on Starbucks' WiFi.

Once I get a router, i'll test it again. Cheers!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 2:24 pm

Bumping this thread as I'm experiencing something very similar on my phone and tablet (and apparently, with my flatmate as well). Net traffic is fine and dandy on both machines (even the laptop) except apps/updates over Google Play are stuck at "Downloading." Works fine, though, if I use a cellular network. Done the process of elimination and I'm sure it's Starhub.

Any of you guys experienced this?

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 2:30 pm

nakatago wrote:Bumping this thread as I'm experiencing something very similar on my phone and tablet (and apparently, with my flatmate as well). Net traffic is fine and dandy on both machines (even the laptop) except apps/updates over Google Play are stuck at "Downloading." Works fine, though, if I use a cellular network. Done the process of elimination and I'm sure it's Starhub.

It was, and that's due to the connection problem (not sure if they block Google Play or Android Market). Did you try using another network?
"Budget Expat"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 2:34 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
nakatago wrote:Bumping this thread as I'm experiencing something very similar on my phone and tablet (and apparently, with my flatmate as well). Net traffic is fine and dandy on both machines (even the laptop) except apps/updates over Google Play are stuck at "Downloading." Works fine, though, if I use a cellular network. Done the process of elimination and I'm sure it's Starhub.

It was, and that's due to the connection problem (not sure if they block Google Play or Android Market). Did you try using another network?
I did. I don't think they block it. Somebody just f'ed up. Info was sparse on HWZ; either that or I need to use Singlish in my search queries. Could it also be related to congestion during school holidays?

:-k