Singapore Expats

Lifestyle: Hong Kong versus Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 8:30 pm

"The reason the digits are more commonly known as "Arabic numerals" in Europe and the Americas is that they were introduced to Europe in the 10th century by Arabs in North Africa and the Middle East, who were then using the digits."

Alfred Patric von Wikipedia

(actually they have been invented by Indians but there is nothing mentioned whether they had Masters and came from a prestigious university so we are probably on the safe)

refugees

Post by refugees » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 9:20 am

[quote="Callput"][quote="refugees"]the problem with hk flats are good quality r hard to come by. What i meant good quality is decent view with privacy (no need to look into neighbour), good facilities development n location, easy access to public transport. These flats usually fetch premium. and bear in mind that effective area of hk flat is only about 60-80% of advertised area. So you can't exactly compare 1k sqft flat in hk to 1k sqft flat in SG.

[b]There r huge PRC influx for HK private hospital[/b], hence pushing up the medical cost. My wife tried to reserved room from 3 private hospital 8m in advance, and they are all full. each labour will cost u easily SGD20-40k, while SG only cost u about SGD5-10k.[/quote]

So would it be fair to say that like you see the Indian invasion in Singapore, you get the equivalent of chinese invasion in HK? :lol:[/quote]

I never heard of any indian invasion in SG, but PRC invasion in HK hospital really posted serious social problem and cost concern to the local residents. Good to heard current gov is doing something about this.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:42 am

refugees wrote: I never heard of any indian invasion in SG
Probably not as bad as PRC invasion of HK, but it is one of the underlying root causes of current xenophobic local attitudes and government policy changes regarding EPs and WPs. Just read up in our PR/EP/Visa forum.

Actually, just do a forum search in the "PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners" forum for the words "MASTERS" and/or "VERY FAMOUS" (I'm only half joking about this)

refugees

Post by refugees » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:04 am

Yes i do follow the current xenophobic situation, ans I do understand where they coming from. Having spent more than 10y in SG, i have to say 1st few years were very pleasant where things were significantly cheaper, and good quality of life in SG.

However, sudden increase in SG population without having proper infrastructure supports has caused prices to gone up north and deteriorated quality of life. Im not complaining since I did benefited from the imported GDP growth, but for most locals who left behind, where their wages stagnant but cost of living double in last 5Y. So in a way, i feel xenophobic is abit too strong and unfair word to describe the local.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:13 am

refugees wrote: I never heard of any indian invasion in SG, but PRC invasion in HK hospital really posted serious social problem and cost concern to the local residents. Good to heard current gov is doing something about this.
Indian invasion is mostly in IT jobs, PR applications, resale HDB purchases and ghettoing in certain condos

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:25 am

Callput wrote: Indian invasion is mostly in IT jobs, PR applications, resale HDB purchases and ghettoing in certain condos
And can you believe I have one company of muppets trying to charge me S$400/hr for software service support? :o

I mean FMSWASS, extortion on a grand scale.

Want to know where inflation comes from? MUPPETS!
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 3:44 pm

I heard that some others are working between Hong Kong and Shen Zhen. Some said that the situation in Shen Zhen is not that bad, compared to Hong Kong. Time for Google again then :-|
"Budget Expat"

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 4:00 pm

v4jr4 wrote:I heard that some others are working between Hong Kong and Shen Zhen. Some said that the situation in Shen Zhen is not that bad, compared to Hong Kong. Time for Google again then :-|
It's farther than living in Johor. You also probably won't be able to easily get a visa to live there.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 4:25 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:I heard that some others are working between Hong Kong and Shen Zhen. Some said that the situation in Shen Zhen is not that bad, compared to Hong Kong. Time for Google again then :-|
It's farther than living in Johor. You also probably won't be able to easily get a visa to live there.
Visa is one thing. The other thing is the currency rate, combined with the political situation. I can't get a grasp of the lifestyle in Shen Zhen yet, but someone told me that it's kinda like Singapore.
"Budget Expat"

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:11 am

Callput wrote:
refugees wrote: I never heard of any indian invasion in SG, but PRC invasion in HK hospital really posted serious social problem and cost concern to the local residents. Good to heard current gov is doing something about this.
Indian invasion is mostly in IT jobs, PR applications, resale HDB purchases and ghettoing in certain condos
You may add medical sector and banking now.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 8:21 am

v4jr4 wrote: I can't get a grasp of the lifestyle in Shen Zhen yet, but someone told me that it's kinda like Singapore.
That is one of the last places I'd ever compare Shenzhen to. Maybe this person is living in a walled expat compound 30km outside?

Edit: On second thought, maybe you could compare it to Geylang with skyscrapers and malls?

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:
v4jr4 wrote: I can't get a grasp of the lifestyle in Shen Zhen yet, but someone told me that it's kinda like Singapore.
That is one of the last places I'd ever compare Shenzhen to. Maybe this person is living in a walled expat compound 30km outside?

Edit: On second thought, maybe you could compare it to Geylang with skyscrapers and malls?
Good Lord :lol:
The thing is, that statement comes from the HR who offered me for relocation. Full of traps, I guess.
"Budget Expat"

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:32 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Good Lord :lol:
The thing is, that statement comes from the HR who offered me for relocation. Full of traps, I guess.
Shenzhen is where (HK) locals go to buy their counterfeit/cheap goods, engage in vice activities for less $$ than they costs in HK (as there is no shortage in HK), and also have to deal with petty street crime. It really is apt to compare HK:SZ to SG:JB. It is doable, but just as you wouldn't tell someone looking to move to and experience Singapore to consider JB unless they didn't have any alternative options, it is the same with SZ.

Also consider in HK you can still get single-person rentals for under HKD$5000/month (~$800sgd) in very central locations. They may be small (Studios the size of office cubicles including the toilet/shower), but they exist and they're valid options.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 3:24 pm

Shenzhen is too big to define as one thing or another.

I used to do it the other way around, live in HK but work half the week at our plant in Shenzhen, taking the ferry over in the morning then train back at nights. Things have changed an awful lot since my days, though, but there is still the O&G communities around Shekou and it's a fine place to live for many. It was acceptable even in my time so it's got to have got better since then but, of course, you still have to accept that things won't operate in the way you would expect elsewhere.

There are large expat communities around the place now and the centre of Shenzhen has the usual trappings of any successful city.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE