Singapore Expats

Suggestions needed: Apple Mac-Book Pro with Retina display

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sayantang

Suggestions needed: Apple Mac-Book Pro with Retina display

Post by sayantang » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 8:19 pm

I am on the lookout for a new mac-book pro - any suggestions on the best retailer in terms of free gifts that they offer?

I saw that epi-centre is offering goodys worth S$ 205.

Does anyone has any information on this?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 9:04 pm

Apples are for fags.
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Suggestions needed: Apple Mac-Book Pro with Retina displ

Post by taxico » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 9:16 pm

sayantang wrote:I am on the lookout for a new mac-book pro - any suggestions on the best retailer in terms of free gifts that they offer?

I saw that epi-centre is offering goodys worth S$ 205.

Does anyone has any information on this?
are you a singaporean?

sayantang

Post by sayantang » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:15 pm

Resident. What do you have in mind?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 8:38 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Apples are for fags.
Right, because the choice of a piece of electronics really means anything.

Out of curiosity, is it the hardware, or the software? What if he runs Windows XP on it, like grumpy old curmudgeons with long grey bears like yourself?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 8:40 am

sayantang wrote: I saw that epi-centre is offering goodys worth S$ 205.
Are the free gifts worth $205 to you though? Usually they bundle unpopular crap they couldn't sell.

If you're going on vacation anytime soon, buy it in Hong Kong at the Apple Store. You won't have to pay GST, and the warranty is world-wide. Apple keeps it's retail prices in very close sync to each other.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 9:00 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Apples are for fags.

There is a certain risk with this approach. As long as you do it occasionally people will give you some credit and see such post as wit and funny. Unfortunately, above some critical mass it will be like seeing one more AH on the Internet. I have the impression that recently you are getting a bit too close to this critical mass.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 9:02 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Are the free gifts worth $205 to you though? Usually they bundle unpopular crap they couldn't sell.
THIS. A thousand times this.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sayantang

Post by sayantang » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
i can see where both of you are coming from - and i would not disagree completely. but they are free right? so chuck it out if they are not gonna be 'useful' enough. and besides, the rate will be consistent with the price on apple's website - so why not.

usually, during the IT-Expos a lot of freebies are rolled out by the retailers - i was thinking on those terms. Though it is not the 'freebies' that would make me decide the 'product' it would certainly make me pick the retailer.

makes sense?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:13 pm

sayantang wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Are the free gifts worth $205 to you though? Usually they bundle unpopular crap they couldn't sell.
i can see where both of you are coming from - and i would not disagree completely. but they are free right? so chuck it out if they are not gonna be 'useful' enough. and besides, the rate will be consistent with the price on apple's website - so why not.

usually, during the IT-Expos a lot of freebies are rolled out by the retailers - i was thinking on those terms. Though it is not the 'freebies' that would make me decide the 'product' it would certainly make me pick the retailer.

makes sense?
If they the item+freebies price is the same. But usually, they won't lower the price and just include useless crap. Don't know about apples though.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 1:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
sayantang wrote:
nakatago wrote: THIS. A thousand times this.

makes sense?
If they the item+freebies price is the same. But usually, they won't lower the price and just include useless crap. Don't know about apples though.
Check out this site for refurbs and better prices:
http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/home/specialdeals

Then take the savings and buy your own accessories

240volt

Post by 240volt » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 5:27 pm

hey there mate, the retina macbook pros are not very user friendly, as in unlike in the previous MBP's where you can open it up, swap out the rams/hdd etc as you please, the retinas are glued together, so whatever spec you bought will probably remain the same throughout the whole time you use it - so i think its a good idea to invest in applecare because lets say something fails in there and the warranty is gone, the retina are pretty much very heavy and good looking paper weight with non replaceable internals

there are a lot of legit people in hwz selling packages of macbook pros + applecare that is A LOT CHEAPER than in apple shops (i know coz i got mine off there :D) and it comes with applecare + software extras that you can actually use

the bonuses from shops are usually those typical el cheapo mouse, neoprene sleeve, keyboard guard etc which you can pick up pretty cheap elsewhere too so i dont think those "extra bonuses" are worth it

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 9:04 pm

if you're not gonna be upgrading your apple computer, you can look for someone studying in a local university/polytechnic that did not use his/her subsidized computer purchase (every student qualifies for one with each new enrolled program; dip, bachelor, master, phd, post-doc).

if you're singaporean, you can probably find one among your network of relatives/friends.

these computers usually have a very comprehensive 3 year local warranty - including battery (!!!). i don't know if the retina display is included in such offers.

stock models are cheaper - usually comes with a free ram upgrade and a mouse, bag, integrated headphones/speakers which may add up to more than $205.

if you're gonna be upgrading the hard disks and dvd-drives and what not after purchase, these subsidized laptops are usually not value for money (YMMV).

in that case, you're better off going to a store. as someone has said prior, the "freebies" tend to be included in the final price of the machine, especially during computer exhibitions... not really a good deal IMO.

i've found better deals buying from overseas. i don't use apple so i don't know if they offer international warranty.

knowing the money grubbing people at apple, i doubt it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 1:23 pm

240volt wrote:hey there mate, the retina macbook pros are not very user friendly,
That's completely misleading unless you add "to repair or upgrade" which in fairness 95-98% of all laptop owners never do themselves.

Applecare is indeed cheaper usually when not purchased from Apple. You'll find that Applecare for a Macbook Pro is pretty much model independent. You can buy and hold onto it, activating it months later. I often see 50%+ off AppleCare sales on places like Amazon or eBay. The catch is, you have to remember to go buy your Applecare later before the one-year mark. Most people just bundle it together out of laziness sake.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:52 am

Challenger just sent me spam. If you're a member (which is worth it generally if you spend more than $1k there) you'll get a free copy of MS Office when you buy a 13" MBP Retina. They said it's worth S$188.