Singapore Expats

Singapore most emotionless society in the world

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:35 pm

I'm not sure what methodology was used in arriving at this conclusion. I feel that this is not too off the mark.
I've noticed MOST Singaporeans I encoutered in my profession tend to be non aligned. There is neither an expression of strong feeling of love/hate but a tendency to withhold true feelings of expression which comes out as lack of emotion.

I'm a instructor running several technical courses, and when often when I ask people on how they feel on a particular topic/product/technology never can i get a good debate/discussion going. It almost fizzles out right from the time I ask a question.
This is completely different from say the reactions I get when I run the same courses in say Malaysia or Australia or India where I get active participation.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 1:53 pm

Again, what is confused is lack of emotions with unwillingness / inability to express it. This is probably one the most significant factors contributing to the survey error. And the problems do not end here. IMHO of course.
You may not get the debate going because they don't want to talk to you about this and not necessarily because they don't care about the subject.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 2:34 pm

Not specifically related to this survey or SG but I have been recommended this book "Quiet:The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" . Not everyone has the need to be constantly voicing their opinions :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Intro ... op+talking

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 6:10 pm

SV1231 wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Perhaps Gallup missed the point that S'poreans just say no when a question makes them uncomfortable, or when they don't know they answer, I think. So perhaps what it really shows is that a bunch of people got cold calls asking about there emotions and said no, no, no, no, yes, no, good bye.

Seriously.

I won't defend them about many things but one this I will!
Mr Expert,
No it did not happen like that.
By the way, did it occur to you that your observation is a comment (sad) on the intellectual grasp of Singaporeans ..
Looks like you will have to hypothesize a bit more .. too bad :(
Cheers
Actually, my comment was on the intellectual grasp of the survey designers.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 6:22 pm

So all but one got that.

+1 on your points BTW.

Like Mi Amigo said (good meeting you last night), there's no shortage of emotions, and quite the contrary to the point of overkill, when in a movie theater in Singapore, or on certain forums.
movingtospore wrote:
SV1231 wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Perhaps Gallup missed the point that S'poreans just say no when a question makes them uncomfortable, or when they don't know they answer, I think. So perhaps what it really shows is that a bunch of people got cold calls asking about there emotions and said no, no, no, no, yes, no, good bye.

Seriously.

I won't defend them about many things but one this I will!
Mr Expert,
No it did not happen like that.
By the way, did it occur to you that your observation is a comment (sad) on the intellectual grasp of Singaporeans ..
Looks like you will have to hypothesize a bit more .. too bad :(
Cheers
Actually, my comment was on the intellectual grasp of the survey designers.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 1:55 am

The survey measured emotion by whatever criteria Gallup set up across the sample. It did not say Singapore is emotionless just it is at the bottom of the emotion 'pile' ! I have to agree from my dealings with its population. My efforts to be open, honest and friendly in everyday life are never met with the same response. Common courtesies like opening doors, giving way in traffic, asking open questions are rarely acknowledged with any 'emotion' and more often treated with suspicion. As an outsider looking in, I would say that it is probably more cultural than intended. However, to me, there is a certain group of the native population (BLANK) of a certain age (BLANK), from a certain ethnic group (BLANK), that I rarely see (if ever) look happy or content. Chewing wasps comes to mind ! Life's too short........ you fill in the blanks !!
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:21 pm

Brah wrote:...when in a movie theater in Singapore, or on certain forums...
Yes. Movie theater is the place where they release everything that was held inside for the whole week. Sometimes feels like I'm in a kind of overgrown kindergarten or on a planet of apes... Spoils the movie though.

SV1231

Post by SV1231 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:23 am

x9200 wrote:SV1231, if you want to have by any chance a reasonable discussion on the points raised you are encouraged to quote properly and write the way people could comprehend and would be willing to respond with some arguments. Calm down, think over your approach inclusive of handling public relation matters and come back if you really want to discuss the survey.

I apologize for offending anyone on this forum through my comments. That was not my intention.

I am not authorized to speak publicly or to media on this issue.
May I suggest that you send an e-mail to the company & they will most certainly answer your queries :)

Apologize for any inconvenience or hard feelings caused!
In the Long Run We Are All Dead

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 2:04 pm

SV1231 wrote:
May I suggest that you send an e-mail to the company & they will most certainly answer your queries :)
And so who do you work for? :cool:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 6:11 pm

To paraphrase Hellraiser, my comments years ago in this forum on this exact point are legendary.
Sergei82 wrote:Yes. Movie theater is the place where they release everything that was held inside for the whole week. Sometimes feels like I'm in a kind of overgrown kindergarten or on a planet of apes... Spoils the movie though.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 9:18 am

SV1231 wrote:
x9200 wrote:SV1231, if you want to have by any chance a reasonable discussion on the points raised you are encouraged to quote properly and write the way people could comprehend and would be willing to respond with some arguments. Calm down, think over your approach inclusive of handling public relation matters and come back if you really want to discuss the survey.

I apologize for offending anyone on this forum through my comments. That was not my intention.

But I don't have any queries. I guess we are both a bit arrogant within our stand points. It looks like people (not only myself) question the approach or results within this small public debate triggered by the publication. The main point of concern is how the survey address the cultural differences between all these very different societies / ethic groups etc. It would seem the company should come up with some clarification but I guess it's ok to leave it just the way it is.

SV1231

Post by SV1231 » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 3:18 pm

x9200 wrote:
SV1231 wrote:

But I don't have any queries. I guess we are both a bit arrogant within our stand points. It looks like people (not only myself) question the approach or results within this small public debate triggered by the publication. The main point of concern is how the survey address the cultural differences between all these very different societies / ethic groups etc. It would seem the company should come up with some clarification but I guess it's ok to leave it just the way it is.

Friends, Do see- :

tonight on "Talking Point" Channel News Asia from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m..

you have been tipped off ;p
In the Long Run We Are All Dead

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 6:04 pm

SV1231 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
SV1231 wrote: I apologize for offending anyone on this forum through my comments. That was not my intention.

Friends, Do see- :

I checked Starhub menu, it is about Singaporeans being workaholic, do you work for cna? :???:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 6:24 pm

SV1231 wrote:Friends, Do see- :

Sorry, I'll be cutting my toenails then.
Be careful what you wish for

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 8:30 am

Unfortunately I saw the announcement only this morning.