Singapore Expats Forum

PEP online application with DP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 6:54 am

Do you want to gamble? :roll:

If I were ICA, and somebody went to all the trouble to file for PEP before the deadline and were successful, I might get the distinct impression you were trying to milk the system. At that point, I might be inclined to make sure you could meet the new credentials at time of collection. I'm probably wrong, but like Dirty Harry pointed out.....

Do you feel lucky?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 8:34 am

freeman.vu wrote:Oops, I have another question to bother you bosses

My in-principle approval is valid until April 2013. But the new requirements will have effect coming Dec. Does it mean I need to collect the PEP by end of this month?

If you collect it before the end of the month, you get a five year PEP. If you collect it after, you get a three year PEP. Not sure why you're even asking this question based on that.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 8:52 am

He most likely wants to quit his job but doesn't have another job lined up so wants to stretch the possible 6 months employment as far into the future as he can using the old system with a 34K/salary minimum for the year. At least that's how I read it. If I can see that, ICA will pick up on it even faster as they are pretty well versed to all the scams/milking being done. Hence the changes.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Postby Callput » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:07 am

I think there is no benefit whether he takes it now or towards end of the 6 months.

Earlier people used to postpone the collection of pass because the 5 year PEP started from the date you get the card so you could kind of get a 6 months extension.

But now no matter when you got your PEP, the end date is fixed i.e Dec 2014.

The only benefit I see by holding back on the collection of the pass is say, in the next 6 months the OP gets his dream job and the company files EP for him then he can stay with company EP rather than getting on to PEP. I would rather stay on company EP and back my ability to find a job rather than have this 2 years PEP and then having to go through the trouble of finding an employer who will file EP for me at the end of 2 years, when 1000s of others are doing the same.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:55 am

Valid point! :-k

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Postby freeman.vu » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 6:04 pm

No no
My question is not about collect it or not or milking the system. It's about will the approval is still valid or not if I collect it after 1st Dec so I can prioritize my schedule this week.
@CallPut: why do you think asking the company to file for EP after 2 years is trouble assuming you are working for the same company? I see it is only a step of filing a form by the HR so it should be straight forward... even 1000s others are doing the same, but it can't be from the same company right? also with EP, the company still needs to renew for you almost by end of year 2. So maybe you see something else or from different angle. Can you explain why? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:21 pm

The biggest difference is government priorities may well have changed in two years. If you are on a PEP, the employer does not have to justify the hiring of a foreigner. If you are on an EP, the justification at every renewal is there and will depend on a variety of things, major of which are the never ending moving of the goalposts. The PEP doesn't require that, but it does have the income requirement. EP holders may well find themselves qualified but their employers may no longer be able to justify to MOM a valid reason for hiring or keeping you hired.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Postby Callput » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:54 pm

SMS has said exactly what I wanted to say.

Freeman, timing is the key here. Its true that 1000s are not going to apply from same company, but all those applications are going to a single agency,MoM, one shot. They will be flooded with applications and this time they know before hand that they will be flooded with applications. They could conveniently bring a new rule just before that deadline to ease their workload.

Also bear in mind EP renewal is a simpler process and more easy to predict than a new EP application.

I hope that this scenario doesn't play out, but just something to take into account.

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Postby freeman.vu » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 8:27 pm

OK, I understood now. Thanks SMS and CallPut.

Again, one more question. I just tried to request to issue the PEP and DP card online but it failed because since I am holding EP at the moment, I need to cancel my EP and then DP, only after that I can proceed.

I found this: ftopic85398.html
so I know what I have to do. But my spouse is working under LOC at the moment, I am wondering by cancelling her DP does it mean she can't work for some days during the transition? end after that does her employer need to apply for a LOC again?
Also, I have the SingPass, can I cancel my EP and DP by myself or I need to ask the employer to do so?

Appreciate any advices

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Postby freeman.vu » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:38 am

Hello, anybody have any experiences?
I got more confused as I made a call to MOM today. the officer there told me that there is some transition time where I cannot work and same for my spouse. Also, my spouse's employer needs to apply for a new LOC again in order for her to resume work...

Never expect this before. I am thinking to going down to MOM to ask for it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:58 am

Your current EP must be cancelled before you can collect your PEP. I was able to have my HR group (it was outsourced to SantaFe) cancel it at about 11am one morning and I collected the PEP at 12pm. Essentially no interruption. SMS can provide more details.

No idea on the LoC.

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Postby freeman.vu » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 5:02 pm

Yup thank a lot zzm.

I asked my company to cancel my EP/DP today and proceeded with the pass issuance.
Regarding LoC, what happened is my spouse's company needs to apply again. Good thing is right after the EP/DP cancelled, we can straight away request for the PEP/DP and got the notification letter which can be used as evidence to stay and work and LoC can be re-applied immediately too... so theoretically there shouldn't be any gap. Hope it's helpful for someone

Callput
Regular
Regular

Postby Callput » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:54 am

freeman.vu wrote:Yup thank a lot zzm.

I asked my company to cancel my EP/DP today and proceeded with the pass issuance.
Regarding LoC, what happened is my spouse's company needs to apply again. Good thing is right after the EP/DP cancelled, we can straight away request for the PEP/DP and got the notification letter which can be used as evidence to stay and work and LoC can be re-applied immediately too... so theoretically there shouldn't be any gap. Hope it's helpful for someone

Good. Hope there won't be any issues with getting the loc approval this time, as you know rules for loc has been tightened too.

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Postby freeman.vu » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:04 am

My spouse's LoC is good now, it was approved after one day :)

Callput
Regular
Regular

Postby Callput » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 9:58 am

Congratulations :)