Singapore Expats

I really want an old series Landy

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

I really want an old series Landy

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 5:34 pm

I love those things. Completely impractical. Amazing cost.... Basically $5k ontop of the paper value and as most of them were 'W' class vehicles the COE can be renewed indefinitely.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:26 pm

I saw one a few months back, and it was quite interesting. It was LHD, and had a very large sign on the back in yellow proclaiming it to be "LEFT HAND DRIVE". I thought those didn't exist at all in Singapore. I meant to ask about it, but forgot..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:28 pm

Hmm some quick Googling indicates it was probably a diplomatic vehicle. Interesting, I would think they would have had something newer.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 8:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hmm some quick Googling indicates it was probably a diplomatic vehicle. Interesting, I would think they would have had something newer.
Might be a vehicle they don't use very often. A lot of old landies here are ex RZNAF as well.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 9:05 pm

Now I'm called PNGMK

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:34 am

These things are bullet proof too, they are so simple under the bonnet you can fix them with household items... I like the first one!
nutnut

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 2:40 pm

i've been looking to buy one the past 18 months, but none of them comes with a hard top and i honestly don't want my stuff swiped when it's parked outdoors.

i've had parking labels stolen when i parked my dad's coupe with the top down.

i've seen 2 G plate landies that are older than 20 years, so i suspect a few of them can be renewed indefinitely.

i saw a beige/white one just the other day with a GM plate. looked like a LWB series 3... hard top!

my dad's neighbor has a series 2 land rover parked outside his house and it's permanently under a tarp.

my worry is not so much the engine but rust. there're no used parts dealer in singapore.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 1:45 am

taxico wrote:i've been looking to buy one the past 18 months, but none of them comes with a hard top and i honestly don't want my stuff swiped when it's parked outdoors.

i've had parking labels stolen when i parked my dad's coupe with the top down.

i've seen 2 G plate landies that are older than 20 years, so i suspect a few of them can be renewed indefinitely.

i saw a beige/white one just the other day with a GM plate. looked like a LWB series 3... hard top!

my dad's neighbor has a series 2 land rover parked outside his house and it's permanently under a tarp.

my worry is not so much the engine but rust. there're no used parts dealer in singapore.

There's a landowners group singaproe (LROS) that can source parts. There are some parts available from the wrecking yards and in JB as well.
Now I'm called PNGMK