Singapore Expats

Unwanted furniture

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
MrsK

Unwanted furniture

Post by MrsK » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 2:40 pm

How do you get rid of large items eg table? Is there a special collection?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 2:55 pm

Give it (together with a few dollars) to the Karung Guni man who comes honking or shouting through your estate almost daily.
Karung Guni men are among the lowest rank of Singapore society and try to earn a bit from what others discard (they also take waste paper and other recyclables). They are usually also very original characters.
(If you're in a condo, you might be out of luck, as most of them won't allow Karung Gunis in.)

Teon

Post by Teon » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 9:56 pm

The Salvation Army will come and collect it. They "ask" for $60 to pay for transport, but it is not mandatory.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:34 pm

The Salvation Army guys are very picky, rejected my stuff twice (although I found it still usable).
Also: Depending on their workload, they'll only offer a pick-up date weeks after your call.
Their shops are great for buying stuff cheaply, though!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:57 pm

I think HDB or NEA can remove unwanted furniture for no charge. Have to check their websites though. I recalled coming across such info. But I'm now in hurry to move so can't check for now.

wwww
Regular
Regular

Post by wwww » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 9:57 am

There are special pick up and disposal services when discarding an item from a condo. The going rate for one large item seems to be around $80 (at least thats the quote I got from most of them when I had to discard an old bedframe). Many of these guys have a website, just google for it.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Unwanted furniture Sell

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 12:58 pm

misnad wrote:You can sell them by calling old furniture buyer.
To someone in the USA from Singapore? You do realize this is a completely different country!
Now I'm called PNGMK

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 1:32 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

Nah... a spammer with the link to attract SEO hits. Now history.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:14 am

you have a few options

1. douse kerosene on it and set it on fire and dance wildly around it yelling satan!

2. ask the salvation army if they are interested

3. if the salvation army doesn't want your stuff you could advertise to sell your stuff on here or craigslist singapore

4. keep it for life as a relic.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:50 am

It amazes me sometimes how some people manage to survive, or how they survived in the days before the interweb...

Anyway, in answer to your query, does your condo have a guy who comes and washes cars? Or a cleaner? Hold up $20 to one of these guys and say "I need to throw away this item" and it will magically disappear.

You will find most things can be achieved with a couple of $$ and a low paid FDW...

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 3:35 pm

I put up a free with collection only ad on gumtree.sg. gotten rid of a couple of broken fans that way with minimal trouble.