Singapore Expats

Getting a Maid Out of a Bad Situation

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Getting a Maid Out of a Bad Situation

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 10:43 am

A while back I posted a thread about a maid next door who is being verbally abused, and who has now come to us multiple times asking if we can do anything.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=

My wife talked to the lady of the house, and she generally agreed that her husband could be "grumpy". She also said that she would be happy to transfer the maid.

Thus, I post this to say if you have a need for a maid who is quite hard working and has good English skills, please do drop me a note and I'll connect you.

Many thanks.

linglang72

can try

Post by linglang72 » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 1:07 am

if she speaks good english, has good attitude and has experience in taking care of a child, I can have a try.
I am looking to change my helper who I have been using for 2.5yrs. I cannot stand her poor attitude and lack of attention on my son any more (always on the phone). I can't communicate with her well and she can't teach my son even the basics like numbers.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: can try

Post by QRM » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 1:26 pm

linglang72 wrote:if she speaks good english, has good attitude and has experience in taking care of a child, I can have a try.
I am looking to change my helper who I have been using for 2.5yrs. I cannot stand her poor attitude and lack of attention on my son any more (always on the phone). I can't communicate with her well and she can't teach my son even the basics like numbers.
I am missing something here? I didn't know maids are suppose to double up as cheap teachers? Thats what parents and schools are for? Maids job is to keep the house clean and kid alive?

Shame just saw this post, we have just signed up a second one subject to a medical pass. The last one we wanted failed her medical...

linglang72

helpers should upgrade themselves to be educators

Post by linglang72 » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 2:32 pm

Just to clarify

Lots of pinoy prefer to call themselves as tutors, instructors, educators instead of maids and helpers, because of the unfortunate low social class stigma associated to it.

Yes it is parents and educators job to educate the children. Parents do however implicitly expect that anyone (the grandparents or helpers) who takes up the child-caring duty can pass the children some knowledge. The expectation isn't that high, but at the least alphabet, numbers and colours. These basic items surface naturally when interacting with children and they are in most infants' books and toys. So how can the children not know - the only explanation is because my helper was either text-messaging or on the phone all the time while leaving my son alone to play. And that is why I need to change.

I don't think we are in a position to criticize how other people want to use their helpers, as long as it is within the ethic and legal requirements. Most of my friends have helpers who can teach a thing or two except mine. So I am not the freak here. And plenty of helpers during interview or when advertising themselves try to sell these extra skills they have. Don't office workers also do something that is outside their JD?

In fact I let my helper off for all Sundays and all evenings. She doesn't need to cook dinner nor wash dishes. she doesn't have to work for 6-8 weeks a year coz we are overseas. so do I get a refund for that or can I at least expect her to teach at least the numbers and toilet train my child?

You are trying to save this lady but you are kicking away the voluteers who knock at the door. Absurd.