Singapore Expats

Late payment to SP Services

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Late payment to SP Services

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 1:20 pm

Hi,

So when does SP Services (or any other local org) start to get mad about a late payment? I was traveling the last two weeks and forgot my stupid bank token, so couldn't pay them until today. 5 days late. I know this is Singapore and everything seems black or white, so I'm guessing I'm either completely fine or they'll be hauling me to debtors prison... (ok not quite). But anyway, what are the rough guidelines on this stuff for how it affects local credit?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Late payment to SP Services

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 1:29 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hi,

So when does SP Services (or any other local org) start to get mad about a late payment? I was traveling the last two weeks and forgot my stupid bank token, so couldn't pay them until today. 5 days late. I know this is Singapore and everything seems black or white, so I'm guessing I'm either completely fine or they'll be hauling me to debtors prison... (ok not quite). But anyway, what are the rough guidelines on this stuff for how it affects local credit?
You'll get a pink slip (late reminder) and then a cut off warning at 30 and 60 days respectively I think.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 1:37 pm

Ok, so a few days late won't affect any future credit/loans etc? I'd hate to not be able to buy a car or something over this.

I know it sounds ridiculous to worry, but every day I walk past the "No Skateboarding: Fine S$5000" sign in my carpark....

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 1:41 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Ok, so a few days late won't affect any future credit/loans etc? I'd hate to not be able to buy a car or something over this.

I know it sounds ridiculous to worry, but every day I walk past the "No Skateboarding: Fine S$5000" sign in my carpark....
Chill, dude, it is only two weeks, and it is not that you habitually 'forget' to pay or unable to pay in full each time.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 2:47 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Ok, so a few days late won't affect any future credit/loans etc? I'd hate to not be able to buy a car or something over this.

Chill, dude, it is only two weeks, and it is not that you habitually 'forget' to pay or unable to pay in full each time.
Some of the penalties for even a day late can be quite steep in the US, which is why I ask.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 2:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Some of the penalties for even a day late can be quite steep in the US, which is why I ask.
Judging by how often the credit card companies, telcos and other service agencies come across people who don't pay at all and run away from Singapore, they'd be appreciative of your sincere late payments.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 3:20 pm

Many yrs back, 1 pink reminder letter charge extra $0.50 + GST (For late charge)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 5:55 pm

Right now I'm disputing the latest bill as it's skyrocketed since the last, and I don't buy the averaging and meter reading BS.

In fact it shows more than one month of this kind of inaccuracy where it's higher when it should be lower based on usage and not even being in the country during the high months.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:57 pm

Check the neighbours haven't connected to your supply when you were away - it does happen !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 7:50 am

Brah wrote:Right now I'm disputing the latest bill as it's skyrocketed since the last, and I don't buy the averaging and meter reading BS.

In fact it shows more than one month of this kind of inaccuracy where it's higher when it should be lower based on usage and not even being in the country during the high months.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
I tried to dispute once a case where SP wanted to charge me less than what I expected an with all the averaging it was simply not possible I could have used that little. I had a SP technician on site checking all the meters and after it they still maintained that all was fine and this was what I had to pay (something like 1/3rd of my typical bill). The only theory I could have came up with was that this averaging also had to compensate some human errors for wrong meter reading. Probably they would not like to admit to such mistakes.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 8:14 am

Travailes wrote:Check the neighbours haven't connected to your supply when you were away - it does happen !
In condos the meter cupboards are locked. HDB not so. Tapping in is not so easy.
Now I'm called PNGMK

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:47 am

PUB did connect wiring wrong meter to wrong household when they change the new meter.

It happen before.
The household complained to PUB for 2 yrs. And finally PUB sent someone come down and check.

PUB insist they are correct, the meter are correct.
Household fault for high PUB bill.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:57 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Travailes wrote:Check the neighbours haven't connected to your supply when you were away - it does happen !
In condos the meter cupboards are locked. HDB not so. Tapping in is not so easy.
Where we live the properties have outside sockets at both the front and back.
I came home once to find the estate employees had connected their pressure washer to my supply. Cheeky b@@@tards !
Unless you are prepared to turn off you supply from the inside at the fuse box
(not practical when you have fridge etc) the system is open to abuse.
Saying that, I don't expect my neighbours would connect their aircon to our supply whilst we are away !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.