Singapore Expats

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 9:46 pm

I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument. This is a western habit - thinking your argument has to be sound and logical for the other person to accept it. In Asia, not so. You can present and win the most illogical argument if you need to.

2. Be prepared to pay a little to win a lot. You don't need to win 100% to win in Asia. Give a bit to save face, and you can take the majority win.

3. Use physical intimidation. Puff out your chest, move into their space, raise your voice. Asians, generally, won't respond with violence to these tactics unlike some westerners.

4. Don't drag in family members, wives or highly emotional words unless you want to lose (the whole relationship in the real sense). Insulting someones mother will lose the argument. Some words - are highly offensive to some people - and they'd rather die than have you win after those words are said.

Others?
Now I'm called PNGMK

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 9:48 am

5. Black and white agreements are necessary. Sometimes, related with point 2, in certain countries, forgeries are acceptable with additional amounts :P
"Budget Expat"

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:03 am

offshoreoildude wrote:I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument.

Married? Should come as second nature to any male.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:40 am

Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"

Speaking about westerners, did you watch the video of the Barclays executive hurling vulgarities at the construction workers? Its only in Singapore, that he could do that. Any other country, they would have just buried him in the concrete, alive, lol.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:43 am

Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"
And stab you sharp from the back. :P

That's their typical passive-aggressive for you.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 7:30 pm

I agree but I wouldn't attribute it to politeness.

Fear of confrontation, fear of loosing face by coming out wrong in the dispute, fear of having to admit they are wrong, are just some of the reasons.

6. The F-word carries strange weight here. You could be reasonably POed and in the right at, say, a taxi driver for not taking the route you requested, for not helping with the luggage, or any number of reasons and they may argue, but know they are wrong and may avoid accountability to that point with all kinds of out there excuses, most with that trademark grammatically incorrect sentence starting with "Because.... "

However, you use the f-word in any of it's many innocuous vernacular varieties, and you will get into a whole 'nuther level of argument.

7. Flipping the bird can get you in legal trouble. (I think it's referred to as a "Vulgar Gesture", another classic one like "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)

It's one reason why I don't drive here, too many legitimate opportunities to use it.
Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 8:59 pm

Brah wrote: "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)
Hahaha! Brilliant :cool:

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:48 pm

Callput wrote:Speaking about westerners, did you watch the video of the Barclays executive hurling vulgarities at the construction workers? Its only in Singapore, that he could do that. Any other country, they would have just buried him in the concrete, alive, lol.
Should have buried him. im sure the gov't would have closed one eye.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 7:46 am

Too high in the food chain for such banal charge?

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:04 am

the lynx wrote:
And stab you sharp from the back. :P

That's their typical passive-aggressive for you.
Sometimes, they can be pretty destructive (like, bring their own "pack") :-|
"Budget Expat"

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:30 am

Or if it's an all-girl band, "Modesty Outrage", a contemporary of Pussy Riot.
JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:54 pm

OK, since this thread is already derailed, how about some other very Singaporean offences that would make a good band names:
  • Mischief

Unlawful Assembly
Hmm. Methinks I'd better stop there. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 5:58 pm

Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 6:12 pm

If I were either of the two, I'd demand lie detector tests, if for no other reason that if they are theoretically telling the truth via the tests, it will put the onus on the women. It's been known here for the women to do jail time when found out.

Of course, if their are guilty, they better just hope for Prada or Gucci bags in payment settled out of court.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:33 pm

Brah wrote:Or if it's an all-girl band, "Modesty Outrage", a contemporary of Pussy Riot.
JR8 wrote:
Thanks for the idea guys. When I get (enough) girls, I will use that name for some laughs.