Singapore Expats

conversion of son's Singapore citizenship to PR

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
wmclaxton

conversion of son's Singapore citizenship to PR

Post by wmclaxton » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 2:27 pm

My son is a 15yo male Singapore Citizen (SC), born here but holding a foreign passport. He intends to serve NS but eventually settle in the foreign country. When he enters NS, will he be offered PR instead of his SC? Should he proceed to ICA and convert to PR before registering for enlistment?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 5:54 pm

Ain't gonna happen. He cannot give up his citizenship until such time as he as completed his NS and then and only then, can he renounce his citizenship within 12 month of his 21st birthday. e.g., he can renounce after turning 21. And at that point he will only be able to get an EP IF HE QUALIFIES, PR will be out of the question.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wmclaxton

Post by wmclaxton » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 6:54 pm

It sounds like you're saying they would refuse to downgrade him to PR. That's odd, since he was born with 2 citizenships and he's entitled to make his own choice.

Suppose he walks into ICA now and says "I want to convert my SC to PR". He will of course not be excused from NS, but he will still be eligible for employment in Singapore if he keeps a minimum residency here right?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 8:46 pm

wmclaxton wrote:It sounds like you're saying they would refuse to downgrade him to PR. That's odd, since he was born with 2 citizenships and he's entitled to make his own choice.

Suppose he walks into ICA now and says "I want to convert my SC to PR". He will of course not be excused from NS, but he will still be eligible for employment in Singapore if he keeps a minimum residency here right?
Singapore doesn't like it when people renounce SC. If it sounds vindictive, it is. Moreover, PR is a path to SC so there.

He could still work here but he'll have to qualify for an EP which MOM is making it even more difficult everyday to acquire just like any other foreigner. Of which, Singapore seems to be getting rid of.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 9:25 pm

There's a real risk he could be blacklisted by ICA and MOM and never be able to get an EP here. I'd suggest he quietly keep his rights to a second citizenship alive but not formally renounce his SC.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 9:39 pm

wmclaxton wrote:It sounds like you're saying they would refuse to downgrade him to PR. That's odd, since he was born with 2 citizenships and he's entitled to make his own choice.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. It's not odd. he's only entitled to make his own choice when he comes of age. Until such time he will have to keep both Citizenships. And he will have to do NS as well as it's an obligation.

If he walks into ICA and says that, they will just laugh at him. (maybe not to his face but they will have a good laugh when the go out on break). He will only be eligible for employment here if he keeps his citizenship as he cannot renounce until he is 21, at the point he cannot get PR. Therefore, the only way he can work here is if he qualifies for and EP like everyone else.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 2:07 am

No. In my experience, sons of SC who could have been SC and done NS lose out on the right to work and live permanently in Singapore on any form of pass should they give up SC. Ask K S (a pommy friend married to an SC)- 3 sons - all offered high end jobs after their UK education - but because they gave up SC as kids - no chance - not even for an EP. No even with the CEO of F and N appealing to MOM. Tell your son to 'suck it up princess', do his NS, turn 21 and then decide where he wants his life to be. THERE is no dual citizenship in Singapore and as a consequence there is no way to legally have your cake and eat it. Perhaps it would be better to see if he can downgrade to PR in the 'other' country.
Now I'm called PNGMK

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 7:33 am

Nowadays people are very pragmatic when it comes to citizenship so the government does exactly the same. I don't see anything really vindictive in it. Just a clear warning for future wannabe citizenship jumpers that the government is serious about this.