Singapore Expats

Logistics and Supply chain guys

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Logistics and Supply chain guys

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 1:51 pm

thought i'd set up a thread where the aforementioned industry could be discussed.

the outlook seems pretty good for now(specially in contract logistics), while shipping seems to be suffering due to the obvious glut of supply and reduced global trade. On another note, singapore's LNG terminal expansion to offer more opportunities? :)

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 3:37 pm

anybody in the industry?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 5:35 pm

I don't know what "contract logistics" are but I do know that most MNC's are combining IT and logistics under a single unit since so much of IT is about supply chain.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 4:31 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't know what "contract logistics" are but I do know that most MNC's are combining IT and logistics under a single unit since so much of IT is about supply chain.
contract logistics are when a logistics service provider takes over the supply chain of another company promising to run it under a stipulated contract.

combining IT and logistics under a single unit? that's news to me . Unless you mean things like procuring laptop and outsourced services.

It takes way more than procurement experience to run an IT dept. Commoditizing your IT dept will make it difficult to build your systems in such a way that allows them to deliver ahead of the curve.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:36 pm

AndrewV wrote:combining IT and logistics under a single unit?
I didn't say logistics. I said supply chain. Once you get past financial systems, the far larger and more complex IT systems are supply chain... as you know, everything from inbound materials shipping, warehousing, customs, etc, to everything outbound... and the vendor, material, scheduling databases that must all support it.

The demand model for IT services is changing. What used to be an "IT department" providing services to other departments is morphing into becoming an adjunct to the most important service areas, supply chain being one of them, finance another, and HR yet a third.

So what I'm saying is that rather than some CIO exercising demand management and setting priorities for systems, the supply chain VP will set the priorities and needs, to be coordinated by the CIO with other similar integrations.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 3:44 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
AndrewV wrote:combining IT and logistics under a single unit?
I didn't say logistics. I said supply chain. Once you get past financial systems, the far larger and more complex IT systems are supply chain... as you know, everything from inbound materials shipping, warehousing, customs, etc, to everything outbound... and the vendor, material, scheduling databases that must all support it.

The demand model for IT services is changing. What used to be an "IT department" providing services to other departments is morphing into becoming an adjunct to the most important service areas, supply chain being one of them, finance another, and HR yet a third.

So what I'm saying is that rather than some CIO exercising demand management and setting priorities for systems, the supply chain VP will set the priorities and needs, to be coordinated by the CIO with other similar integrations.

Perfectly described. This is exactly how I operate as Supply Chain VP

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 4:59 pm

It changes the budget model, too. Your division will still be billed for the infrastructure to support IT, but instead of being billed for your SAP systems, etc, they become the responsibility of the supply chain division... so that cost accountability is more effectively placed where it needs to be.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:It changes the budget model, too. Your division will still be billed for the infrastructure to support IT, but instead of being billed for your SAP systems, etc, they become the responsibility of the supply chain division... so that cost accountability is more effectively placed where it needs to be.
Good insight from the users perspective of supply chain. From the providers perspective (dedicated shipping/logistics company's), they are more open to modernization of their systems to keep in line with developing trends. Most company's are getting rid of their 20 year old mainframes and switching to solutions such as Oracle TM, JDA, Manhattan Asociates, etc...
SAP couldn't stay away from this pie for too long so they come up with SAP TM (which shouldn't be out in the market at all; anyone who takes a look at it will feel like he's using a piece of beta-release software which SAP is using to gather requirements rather than present a respectable solution at all)

Industry wise, there seems to be more specialization with several shipping company's merging their operations for economies of scale.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 1:37 pm

Looks like the Fire in the bangladesh factory is getting people talking about supply chain processes and standardization again. Walmart is relooking at their Chain.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:24 pm

AndrewV wrote:Looks like the Fire in the bangladesh factory is getting people talking about supply chain processes and standardization again. Walmart is relooking at their Chain.
It's not about supply chain processes, it's about FIRE SAFETY and chickenshit firms like Walmart refusing to pay for additional fire safety upgrades.

Walmart doesn't need to look at their 'chain', they need to look at their worthless record for employee rights to see why they couldn't join a consortium of clothing makers that were going to spend USD 20 million to improve fire safety in 70 factories.

F*ck Walmart. And f*ck the Waltons.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 4:50 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
AndrewV wrote:Looks like the Fire in the bangladesh factory is getting people talking about supply chain processes and standardization again. Walmart is relooking at their Chain.
It's not about supply chain processes, it's about FIRE SAFETY and chickenshit firms like Walmart refusing to pay for additional fire safety upgrades.

Walmart doesn't need to look at their 'chain', they need to look at their worthless record for employee rights to see why they couldn't join a consortium of clothing makers that were going to spend USD 20 million to improve fire safety in 70 factories.

F*ck Walmart. And f*ck the Waltons.
you maybe right, but the various lawsuits its facing and it's share price reflects that people are watching this unravel with interest.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 3:48 pm

seems like same day shipping is going to be the next big thing
also google is getting into the supply chain tracking things