Singapore Expats

Christmas is coming

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Christmas is coming

Post by Steve1960 » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 4:15 pm

I spent last Christmas and New Year in Philippines and whilst it was a wonderful time with my family I could not find a turkey anywhere and even if I had there was no oven in the apartment to cook it!

Yesterday I spied frozen turkeys in Cold Storage, probably in preparation for Thanks Giving more than for Christmas but it did prompt me to put together a check list of other food items as I am planning a turkey dinner just like home.

Sage & Onion stuffiing and Bisto gravy are no problem but what about brussel sprouts? I have not seen them anywhere that we have shopped.

Any idea where I might find the good lod sprout?

My Filipina wife asked me what a turkey was, best I could come up with was 'a big ugly chicken with a bad attitude' :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 4:28 pm

Cold Storage will have brussel sprouts in the run-up to Christmas. Turkeys (larger ones can be gotten in Cold Storage or Jasons, Smaller ones (up to around 5.5~6Kg in NTUC). If you have an oven, be careful as the ovens here are smaller than western ovens, hence the 5.5kg birds which will fit nicely. If a 12 lb turkey is sufficient, get one at NTUC as you will pay about a 15~20% premium for the same bird at Cold Storage or Jasons. You might be able to get a fresh bird at some of the butchery shops, I'm not sure as I don't shop there.

I've been roasting birds here for 26 years. Three years ago, I started deep frying them. The first year I borrowed Strong Eagles's rig, and since then I've assembled my own rig. I do at least two turkeys a year and sometimes 3, Thanksgiving, Christmas & maybe in March on my daughters birthday (buy the bird just after Christmas, usually on sale, and just park it in the freezer till march (In fact, there is a bird in my freezer at the moment!) Deep Frying is the only way to go. Cook a 12 lbs turkey in 25 minutes. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 4:36 pm

Fantastic news thank you :-)

Yea, I heard about the frying method and maybe its something to consider for the future but this year it will be good old roast.

Good tip about the oven, ours is quite small so I will contain my enthusiasm when buying the bird!!

Hmmm, when do you think I should tell the wife what effect sprouts have on my gastric system....................................

nakatago

Re: Christmas is coming

Post by nakatago » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 9:03 pm

Steve1960 wrote:My Filipina wife asked me what a turkey was, best I could come up with was 'a big ugly chicken with a bad attitude' :lol:
There are turkeys in the Philippines and are not uncommon.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:04 pm

Marks & Sparks usually also have a reasonable selection of Christmas goodies, in case you can't get everything you need from CS.
Be careful what you wish for

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:53 pm

nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:My Filipina wife asked me what a turkey was, best I could come up with was 'a big ugly chicken with a bad attitude' :lol:
I guess I just didn't look hard enough, we didn't really frequent areas where the ex pats shop that probably didn't help.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:37 pm

Brussel Sprouts are for sale in Giant. If you know the Turf City shop they are located at the weigh station ready bagged and priced !

Also doing the deep frying method this year. Burner and roasting pot just arrived courtesy of Amazon from the US (very cheap). Just negotiating a bulk peanut oil purchase from a SG supplier.

Christmas puddings will arrive in November from the UK courtesy of a guest we have staying and the inlaws will deliver fresh 'large' parsnips via Tesco's the week before Christmas. Shipped them in myself last year (4 bags at a £1 a bag) and they lasted about 2 minutes once roasted up.
Also satsumas which I have never seen here.

Champers already stockpiled from the Carrefour Mega Expo sale !

Just need some snow !!!!!!!!!
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:47 pm

nakatago wrote:
But most of them are holding public office, aren't they?

:cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 8:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:
But most of them are holding public office, aren't they?

:cool:
Nonsense!

It's incompetent leeches that hold public office. The turkeys are not necessarily elected into position; they just happen to work in government offices.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:41 am

Travailes wrote:Brussel Sprouts are for sale in Giant. If you know the Turf City shop they are located at the weigh station ready bagged and priced !

Also doing the deep frying method this year. Burner and roasting pot just arrived courtesy of Amazon from the US (very cheap). Just negotiating a bulk peanut oil purchase from a SG supplier.

Christmas puddings will arrive in November from the UK courtesy of a guest we have staying and the inlaws will deliver fresh 'large' parsnips via Tesco's the week before Christmas. Shipped them in myself last year (4 bags at a £1 a bag) and they lasted about 2 minutes once roasted up.
Also satsumas which I have never seen here.

Champers already stockpiled from the Carrefour Mega Expo sale !

Just need some snow !!!!!!!!!
How did you get the Tesco's parnsips?