Singapore Expats

Do international schools in SG hire NNESTs?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
annechw

Do international schools in SG hire NNESTs?

Post by annechw » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:49 am

Hi. Sorry that I posted a similar post early tonight about NNESTs looking for a job in Singapore. After viewing countless posts about the MOE program, it seems it's not a very good choice because of the poor wage.

As everyone has pointed out, International Schools seem a fair choice but English is not my mother tongue. Do International Schools hire teachers that are not native speakers? I have a BABEd qualification from HKU and am going to do the TEFL certificate in London next summer (already enrolled). Will I stand a better chance?

I hope there is someone who can answer my question. Thank you so much!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 9:53 pm

There's a German school, a French school, a Japanese school, a Korean school, a Swiss school, a Chinese school, an Indian school, an Indonesian school, etc. So, yes, International Schools will hire non-native english speakers if you speak one of those languages. I'm not familiar with the initials you use - NNEST. I don't believe native English speakers use that term.

annechw

Post by annechw » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:04 pm

I have waited the whole day for someone to reply my post. I came across that term in a project conducted by some Korean scholars on ESL teaching in Korea. I think I misspelled the word with an extra S... It should probably be NNET, i.e. Non-Native English Speaking Teachers.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I am glad someone answered my post!

scarbowl wrote:There's a German school, a French school, a Japanese school, a Korean school, a Swiss school, a Chinese school, an Indian school, an Indonesian school, etc. So, yes, International Schools will hire non-native english speakers if you speak one of those languages. I'm not familiar with the initials you use - NNEST. I don't believe native English speakers use that term.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:38 pm

annechw wrote:I have waited the whole day for someone to reply my post.

What do you think this site is, your instant personal reference library? Jeez, learn some manners! :roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:28 pm

Wrong side of bed this morning, JR8?

:?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

annechw

Post by annechw » Thu, 25 Oct 2012 1:11 pm

JR8 wrote:
annechw wrote:I have waited the whole day for someone to reply my post.

What do you think this site is, your instant personal reference library? Jeez, learn some manners! :roll:
That's not what I meant. I was only desperate for some answer, not that I was urging anyone to reply. "Jeez", I don't think it is me who has a manner problem here.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Do international schools in SG hire NNESTs?

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:57 pm

annechw wrote:...English is not my mother tongue. Do International Schools hire teachers that are not native speakers? I have a BABEd qualification from HKU and am going to do the TEFL certificate in London next summer (already enrolled). Will I stand a better chance?
if that will better help you get a valid working visa, then i say yes.

there are "NNESTs" working in singapore as english language teachers. not many, but i have met at least 2.

they're not my friends so i don't know how they were hired and what sort of working visa/permit/pass they're on.

but i do know they were hired by private schools, not by traditional International Schools.

annechw

Re: Do international schools in SG hire NNESTs?

Post by annechw » Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:47 pm

taxico wrote:
annechw wrote:...English is not my mother tongue. Do International Schools hire teachers that are not native speakers? I have a BABEd qualification from HKU and am going to do the TEFL certificate in London next summer (already enrolled). Will I stand a better chance?
if that will better help you get a valid working visa, then i say yes.

there are "NNESTs" working in singapore as english language teachers. not many, but i have met at least 2.

they're not my friends so i don't know how they were hired and what sort of working visa/permit/pass they're on.

but i do know they were hired by private schools, not by traditional International Schools.
Thanks for the information.
Will take it into consideration and do a little research on private schools.