Singapore Expats

Chances for MOM to Approve Pass After Criminal Record

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
prettychick18

Chances for MOM to Approve Pass After Criminal Record

Post by prettychick18 » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 2:45 pm

Hi, I wanted to work again in Singapore. However, last 2008, i was convicted by my employer for stealing. I was sentenced for a 3 week jail or a SG$3,000 penalty. Wherein, in my case, I just paid the fine. Will my record still shows that I have a criminal offense in Singapore upon applying in MOM? And, will i be approved for a work pass given my record? Thank you.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:10 pm

I am pretty sure you have to declare this indefinitely in Singapore, depending on the severity of the crime, but theft is considered a serious crime.

With all the passes they are currently rejecting, unless you tremendously skilled, I wouldn't hold your breath!
nutnut

prettychick18

Post by prettychick18 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 6:12 am

Oh, it's so sad because I really want to go back to work. What are the chances of finding if i won't declare this upon applying for a pass? Also, what if I already got married and changed my surname to my married name, can they still trace my record? Thank you.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:11 am

PrettyChick, you are a foreigner right? You have no rights to be here unless the government want you here, if they consider your crime worthy of rejecting your pass then forget about it an move on, live somewhere else.

Personally, if you stole from your employer previously then chances are, even if the government are willing to accept, trying to find an employer that wants to employ a convicted thief is going to be hard! Don't even think about not disclosing it, you WILL be found out by the government upon pass prcessing and y any employer eventually anyway.

If you change your name and passport they will of course pick it up, that's a bit of a daft question. :roll: :roll:

Basically, it's up to employers and government, as I say, chances are you will struggle, but, I may be wrong. However, I wouldn't employ a thief.
nutnut

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:53 am

prettychick18 wrote:Oh, it's so sad because I really want to go back to work. What are the chances of finding if i won't declare this upon applying for a pass? Also, what if I already got married and changed my surname to my married name, can they still trace my record? Thank you.
Interesting question. I've seen this trick done by people desperate to get back into KL after being kicked out. I'm not sure what measures the Singapore gahmen use - after all they don't take pics or fingerprints at the entry points. HOWEVER, if you're caught - you're probably facing a lifetime ban.
Now I'm called PNGMK

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 9:25 am

nutnut wrote: Personally, if you stole from your employer previously then chances are, even if the government are willing to accept, trying to find an employer that wants to employ a convicted thief is going to be hard! Don't even think about not disclosing it, you WILL be found out by the government upon pass prcessing and y any employer eventually anyway.
And while not exhaustive, there are other resources for employers too, to trace the background of individuals .. and that's not limited to calling your previous employer for reference, even if you ask not to do so :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 9:27 am

There have been other posts about this topic. I'm more interested in knowing whether the OP even considered this issue at the time she stole?
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 9:31 am

Well, there are a couple scenarios that could transpire.

With the new combined databases and photo recognition software, even with a new passport/name if you lie and say you never been in Singapore or never convicted of a crime, you stand to be picked up for perjury as well. This may well give you free room & board for a while if caught.

If you are coming with a new passport and DO manage to get through Immigration (possible if they are busy and don't do any checks), when your employer applies for the employment pass, you will get caught there when you are fingerprinted for your pass as your prints will be run through their computers. The Jig will be UP. At that point you whole life will start to unravel before your very eyes.

In the words of Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"

However, there is another possibility. As you were allowed to pay a fine instead of jail time, e.g., had the offence compounded, then there is a good chance that there will not be any lasting effect. Were you deported from Singapore after you paid the fine?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:18 pm

I'm confused as to why the OP posted this in the 'Entertainment, Leisure & Sports' section rather than the 'PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners' area where it really belongs. I do hope this is not a wind-up or another lazy journo fishing for some 'expat' quotes (wouldn't be the first time).

Assumng this is genuine, what I find disappoiniting is that the OP doesn't seem to want to face up to the consequences of her earlier actions. She's not the only person in the world who took a wrong turn at some point in their life, but the sensble ones are those who properly acknowledge the error of their ways, fully face up to the consequences, and don't try to pretend it never happened. Reminds me of all those who do a runner from Singapore leaving bank debts, unpaid rent and utilities, etc. They are destined to live in denial and have that 'what if?' thought hanging around their necks.

So my advice to the OP is: put aside all thoughts of not declaring the previous conviction, entering under a different name, etc. - that would just serve to perpetuate the previous dishonesty. Far better to go forward in an honest way, even if (as seems likely) it would seriously affect your chances of coming back here to work. Even if you were successful in fooling the authorities, would you really want to go through your time here constantly looking over your shoulder and wondering if/when they'll find you out?

TBH, the best advice would probably be to look elsewhere, as given the current climate here I can't imagine a new EP being approved for you.
Be careful what you wish for

Vadim_K

Post by Vadim_K » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,
i have a friend who was convicted of emplying illegal immigrant few years back. He paid the fine. Last year he applied for a new work visa in Singapore, and he declared about his past crime. Later he received some clarifications inquiry from MOM, and soon after he replied to it and provided details, he was given approval.
Anyway, if you try - no harm right ? Iven in the negative scenario, you will be out of Sg anyway.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:03 pm

Vadim_K wrote:i have a friend who was convicted of emplying illegal immigrant few years back. He paid the fine.

Last year he applied for a new work visa in Singapore, and he declared about his past crime. Later... he was given approval...
i think stealing and employing illegal labor might be weighed differently by MOM...