Singapore Expats

Islands in Thailand

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
omglol22

Islands in Thailand

Post by omglol22 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 6:48 am

I am looking to visit few islands in Thailand and was hoping posters here who have visited thailand could give me some information regarding travel offers,island information which they found useful. I am not interested in visiting the crowded islands and looking for a more secluded spot which offers a decent natural vista and diving spots. Any information as to which part of thailand I should be visiting or avoid would be very helpful.

emvis

Post by emvis » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:36 pm

thailand is one of my favourite spots in the world!!!

there are so many different islands which offer lots of different holidays.

you said you like diving? ko tao would be the best diving island. ive oly been there once, in 2005.. and i didnt dive, but this enitre island is dedicated to diving. when i went there it was very relaxing, you could get a cheap or luxury type villas and the town is very chilled out. many cafes offering thai /western food and quiet markets for shopping. the only problem is getting there, not so straight forward. you would fly to ko samui, then get a 3 hour ferry.

ko samui is also great, surely there are diving spots there too. ko samui has a quiet side where you can relax by beach, go to fishing villages for fresh seafood, markets etc plus a few bars here and there.

ko phi phi and ko panghan are great, but are quit busy with bars and travelers. lots of fun, but not so chilled out.

my favorite island is ko samet, it has one main beach, very quiet, and along the beach is a row of thai restaurants, all set on the sand. this place has great luxury villas and its not touristy.. actually alot of the tourists i see are locals. theres also a few bars here too.

hope you have a great trip!!

kikeo

Post by kikeo » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 1:17 pm

I back up emvis here.

Go to Koh Samui where you will find plenty of cool quiet spots (especially in the south of the island).

For diving, you can stay in Samui but the spots are not the best, you can also arrange 1 day (or longer) diving trips to Koh Tao or other nearby islands with diving shops based in Samui. As it's not very easy to find a place to sleep in Tao, you should base yourself in Samui.

If you want to party a bit or at least meet more active people, you can hang out around Chaweng beach.

If you want to explore you can rent a jeep or a motorbike and go see the waterfalls, the jungle, the hills, etc.
You can also do that with a helicopter but it's not the same prices...

Food is awesome (but sometimes pricey, especially in the resorts or "tourists" restaurants by the sea).