Singapore Expats

Singapore Legal Drama with CNB guy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 7:39 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sensei_ wrote:i have to admit, i have given gifts in return for contracts. rolex watches, holiday, cruise, cookware for the partner, etc. all fair game in return for that elusive contract.
It is bribery, plain and simple. On a small scale, one to one, who cares? It is the person being bribed that also gets screwed.

But public corruption needs to be nailed to the wall. Why are China's high speed rail tracks failing in 5 years? Because bribes allowed second rate contractors to win the job. Why do buildings slide down the hill in KL? Why do China's bridges collapse? Why does everything in Indonesia cost twice what it needs to and still not work?

I've been in government jobs where people attempted to bribe me. 6 percent of my annual salary. It's stupid, and if this fellow would ignore his fiduciary trust over a piece of ass, let them remove his balls.
+1. I suspect he's also being set up as an example of the coming purge.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 1:01 am

Strong Eagle wrote:It is bribery, plain and simple. On a small scale, one to one, who cares? It is the person being bribed that also gets screwed.

But public corruption needs to be nailed to the wall. Why are China's high speed rail tracks failing in 5 years? Because bribes allowed second rate contractors to win the job. Why do buildings slide down the hill in KL? Why do China's bridges collapse? Why does everything in Indonesia cost twice what it needs to and still not work?

I've been in government jobs where people attempted to bribe me. 6 percent of my annual salary. It's stupid, and if this fellow would ignore his fiduciary trust over a piece of ass, let them remove his balls.
further proof that it is not what you know but who you know. what i dont understand is why these second rate contractors dont build something that will actually work. not some half baked attempt. afterall, i cannot imagine the name of the contractor being tarnished over a failed public project.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 8:21 am

sensei_ wrote: what i dont understand is why these second rate contractors dont build something that will actually work. not some half baked attempt. afterall, i cannot imagine the name of the contractor being tarnished over a failed public project.
Because, at the heart of it, they are thieves. They don't care. Substandard materials and labor cost less, means more money for the thieves.

Besides, kickbacks to the ones being bribed cost money.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 1:16 pm

Surely the CNB has a declaration of monetary value for gifts? Since this girl seems to be fairly "average" does that mean her BJ is considered as a monetary value based on the going rate in Joo Chiat/Orchard Towers or Brix? where you can get the same thing for differing costs. If so, does this fall into the declarable entertainment cost range of CNB?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was taken into account in court, sex and cost of sex are a very grey area in Asia to be honest, it's almost too difficult to tell the difference, I am glad I am married and not looking for a lady!
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 3:11 pm

nutnut wrote:Surely the CNB has a declaration of monetary value for gifts? Since this girl seems to be fairly "average" does that mean her BJ is considered as a monetary value based on the going rate in Joo Chiat/Orchard Towers or Brix? where you can get the same thing for differing costs. If so, does this fall into the declarable entertainment cost range of CNB?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was taken into account in court, sex and cost of sex are a very grey area in Asia to be honest, it's almost too difficult to tell the difference, I am glad I am married and not looking for a lady!
Excellent theory :D :D :P
I'd say that based on her slightly above average looks, this would be well within even my company's meager US$150 gift policy. :cool:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 3:29 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Surely the CNB has a declaration of monetary value for gifts? Since this girl seems to be fairly "average" does that mean her BJ is considered as a monetary value based on the going rate in Joo Chiat/Orchard Towers or Brix? where you can get the same thing for differing costs. If so, does this fall into the declarable entertainment cost range of CNB?

Excellent theory :D :D :P
I'd say that based on her slightly above average looks, this would be well within even my company's meager US$150 gift policy. :cool:
I was thinking the same to be honest, it's not going to be much more than a glass of wine and a Pizza in my local I'd say for sure, and that's not worthy of disclosure... ;)
nutnut

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:07 pm

It's been Alvin and Vivian week ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:15 pm

nutnut wrote:I am glad I am married and not looking for a lady!
I have yet to meet a married man that was not at least interested in other women, even if he didn't actually pursue them.

Man, as an ape, is not naturally monogamous, for either sex. We all want to f*ck each other. Our laws and culture surrounding monogamy (or is that monotony) originated at a time when there was no birth control, no way of proving paternity, and at a time when women better well be attached to a male in society or face disastrous consequences.

Not that I'm advocating cheating... just noting that commitment to a relationship and grabbing a piece on the side are not mutually exclusive.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:25 pm

Noted.
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 4:58 pm

Apparently they were on holiday.

Article on the web (that cannot be linked) says the trial resumed this morning.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 7:54 am

Not sure if my husband qualifies as a "talented, successful " man but as a married woman I am all for this law :P .

http://help-your-money.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 9:35 am

earthfriendly wrote:Not sure if my husband qualifies as a "talented, successful " man but as a married woman I am all for this law :P .

http://help-your-money.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html
You don't need a law. All you need it to sue using the Tort for loss of consortium. Old English law. Still applies in Singapore I believe.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 9:48 am

Interesting idea for a law. Not sure how well it would actually work, but intriguing. I'm not actually familiar with the "Woman's Charter" so I don't know how heavy of a financial impact it lays on the husband in a divorce. Is it similar to US divorce laws?

To the original topic, what the hell is with all of these delays in Singapore courts? I think the OJ Simpson trial took less time than this!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 5:24 pm

Back to the original point, Mr Ng will have to take the stand. The judge wasn't keen to just throw it all out based on everything thus far. I take that as not a great sign for him :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 5:32 pm

Apparently not getting your rocks off doesn't count as no case. e.g., if you went through the motions, it counted. Kinda like the F1. If you drove the race but blew up on the last lap, does that mean you didn't race? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers