Singapore Expats

Is there a gap in the space between a DP and LTVP or?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Is there a gap in the space between a DP and LTVP or?

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:56 pm

A PR cannot get his spouse a DP - correct? But various pass holders can get their spouse a DP which allows their spouse to work - correct?

So - why does an SPR - like myself - have to bring his wife in on an LTVP which does NOT allow her to work?

Seem a bit disadvantageous to PR's or did I miss something?
Now I'm called PNGMK

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 1:18 pm

DP doesn't allow the spouse to work mate. LOC does, but, this is different.
nutnut

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 1:30 pm

nutnut wrote:DP doesn't allow the spouse to work mate. LOC does, but, this is different.
LOC for LTVP can?
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 1:45 pm

On if she is under the LTVP+ and you would have to be a citizen for her to qualify for that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 4:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:On if she is under the LTVP+ and you would have to be a citizen for her to qualify for that.
So, in this case, a PR is disadvantaged against a work pass holder.
Now I'm called PNGMK

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:05 pm

Dependents of PRs are disadvantaged against dependents of employment pass holders. Dependent spouses on LTVP cannot work under LTVP (no LOC available). Dependent children on LTVP must still apply for student pass to be able to go to school in singapore. The only advantage is that for now, renewal of LTVP is almost never rejected as long as the sponsor remains a PR. I hope this will continue in the future.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:23 pm

nutnut wrote:DP doesn't allow the spouse to work mate. LOC does, but, this is different.
That's not correct. Under a LOC, DP's can work... nothing "different", just the forms that must be filled out and the hoops that must be jumped through. DP's can work. No way that LTVP can work. Only SC can get LTVP+

So, OSOD is correct... PR does not get the same advantages as EP... and it is a damn good question as to why. Cruise in for two years on EP and your spousal unit can work on DP, commit to SG with a PR and spousal unit must sit at home watching TV and eating bon bons.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:43 pm

So when you apply for PR, apply as a family unit if the other partner wants to work. If they don't approve it, then think just how badly you really want PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 9:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
That's not correct. Under a LOC, DP's can work... nothing "different", just the forms that must be filled out and the hoops that must be jumped through. DP's can work. No way that LTVP can work. Only SC can get LTVP+

So, OSOD is correct... PR does not get the same advantages as EP... and it is a damn good question as to why. Cruise in for two years on EP and your spousal unit can work on DP, commit to SG with a PR and spousal unit must sit at home watching TV and eating bon bons.
Thankyou for confirming this. I now intend to write to my smiley face MP and ask 'why'. (In the good tradition of non SC's using MP's to raise issues).
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 9:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So when you apply for PR, apply as a family unit if the other partner wants to work. If they don't approve it, then think just how badly you really want PR.
Okaaaay.... except in my case I got PR when I was a young lad and not even considering settling down with a none SC.
Now I'm called PNGMK

previousnextlife

Post by previousnextlife » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 2:36 pm

hi offshoreoildude,
So until now your self still SPR and your wife LTVP?
If you have baby son born in SG, what will happen?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 6:17 pm

previousnextlife wrote:hi offshoreoildude,
So until now your self still SPR and your wife LTVP?
If you have baby son born in SG, what will happen?
Machine gun or IED fodder unless we/he does the needful to leave in time.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Oct 2012 8:14 pm

Funny. My earlier reply wasn't directed at you, but the OP. However, earlier while still at work I saw it I typed up a response to OP's question to you and with almost read, literally word for word, exactly what you said. :cool:

vestapo

Post by vestapo » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 1:18 am

Spouse of a PR can apply for PR but spouse of an EP cannot, however in current situation, it is too hard to get PR even if you are qualified to apply so yes EP has higher privilege than PR and probably higher than citizen since LTVP+ is not easy to be granted at first time

x9200

Re: Is there a gap in the space between a DP and LTVP or?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:26 am

offshoreoildude wrote:A PR cannot get his spouse a DP - correct? But various pass holders can get their spouse a DP which allows their spouse to work - correct?

So - why does an SPR - like myself - have to bring his wife in on an LTVP which does NOT allow her to work?

Seem a bit disadvantageous to PR's or did I miss something?
I guess it's because DP is of much more temporary basis than PR. Having a PR and allowing DP for PR's spouse would be like granting a sub-PR at least from a down to Earth pragmatic perspective. They want to have a better control over more permanent ability to take the jobs.