Singapore Expats

Need assistance of US citizen to vote

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 6:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's the scary part. While Romney is switching position, Obamy isn't! And his position for the past 4 years hasn't helped anybody. In fact, the man on the street is worse off. Once net figures are taken into account, he's not created any net jobs as once jobs lost are subtracted, those who have dropped of the unemployment rolls (so are no longer counted as unemployed as that is the only measure so far) and those who have "tried" to enter the workforce and are unable to find meaningful employment (new Graduates) don't show up in the "unemployment" figures just released. And he's planning on doing more of the same? Blaming the trebling the deficient on what "Bush" left him, is a bit of a red herring and a tired old joke. I'm not in favour of either one of them, but I do know that the US cannot endure 4 more years of the same.
Although I disagree with your facts, your premise, and your conclusions, even if I give them to you, it's only one small part of the overall larger economic picture... and the last thing we need is more Bushonomics that pushed this country into the state it is.

I stand by my reasons for electing Obama... cutting of the social extremists, controlling military spending, and creating a sound fiscal policy that creates jobs, not kills them.

(Ball smashed over net... in your court... will there be another volley?)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 7:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Although I disagree with your facts, your premise, and your conclusions, even if I give them to you, it's only one small part of the overall larger economic picture... and the last thing we need is more Bushonomics that pushed this country into the state it is.

a) how do you square suggesting the US is in a Bush-induced state, with yesterday celebrating the fact that stock-markets are at a high? :???:

p.s. I can't imagine ever voting for Obama, but that is only because my senses tell me if I met him I wouldn't like him - as a person - irrespective of his politics. Way too far up his own xzy for me!

edit: colour/format for clarity
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 21 Oct 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 8:06 pm

JR8 wrote: a) how do you square suggesting the US is in a Bush-induced state, with yesterday celebrating the fact that stock-markets are at a high? :???:

:cry: :x :cry: :x as my unvested fortunes are down 15% in the past 30 days...

karl rkf

Post by karl rkf » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:06 pm

Issue resolved as I voted already - thanks to those who offered to help!

Did not mean for this to turn into a political discussion, but since it did just to let you know I voted for Obama.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:53 am

karl rkf wrote:Issue resolved as I voted already - thanks to those who offered to help!

Did not mean for this to turn into a political discussion, but since it did just to let you know I voted for Obama.
Meh. Everyone's a pundit.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 1:03 am

karl rkf,

Hopefully he takes YOUR income earned abroad exclusion FIRST as a thank you for the vote.

SE,

I understand all of what your are saying, but like a lot, I don't see how any of what you are spouting is going to help those who need it NOW. So far trebling the debt hasn't helped anybody except the bankers who he gave it to as a favour for getting him elected in the first place. And what did they do? Gave it to themselves as bonuses.

As I pointed out before, I'm not enamored with Romney either. I frankly don't like either one of them. Then there is the old saying, "caught betwixt a rock & a hard place" or "The devil you know and the devil you don't know" or "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

The only think I DO know is the country cannot afford four more years of this, as every failure, every "end run" he does around the hill to avoid being forced to justify his actions, it puts us further and further in debt. You talk about trickle down economics and how it don't work. Fine. But obviously Obamy's way ain't workin' either. Romney had a pretty good track record in his state. (whether good or bad or transferable to the Whitehouse is another story). Obama, letting the numbers speak for themselves, has a pretty abysmal record for the last for years. It was to be expected, as he didn't have any experience when he conned everybody 4 years ago. Now, he's proved he cannot do the job, he cannot work across the aisle. He didn't even try in the beginning so right off the bat, he made enemies across the aisle. So at then end of the next 4 years, he will still be blaming Bush! And when that happens, it will be a long dry spell for the Donkeys before they ever see the Whitehouse again.

I wonder? Can you tax yourself out of poverty?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 11:28 am

One has to wonder, if after 4 years of no/little improvement, will Romney be excusing that with what he inherited from Obama?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 1:35 pm

Brah wrote:One has to wonder, if after 4 years of no/little improvement, will Romney be excusing that with what he inherited from Obama?
That's what I expect. But at least under Romney there is a higher probability my taxes will not go up during those four years of the same old shit :p

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 2:22 pm

Brah wrote:One has to wonder, if after 4 years of no/little improvement, will Romney be excusing that with what he inherited from Obama?
Of course.

Remember this old joke about the envelopes? http://dailyjoke.wordpress.com/2010/05/ ... envelopes/

It's kinda true, if you think about it.

Coincidentally, all incoming presidents, upon entering the oval office, see an envelope on the desk with "To #N, from #N-1".
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 3:43 pm

I'm not so sure that is not not a fair question to not still blame Bush (or predecessors, or pre-2008 financial situations). (awkward triple negative intended)

So this re-re-re-raises the dominant questions, does it or does it not take more than one term to fix the problem, and, would switching horses in the middle stream set it back essentially to 2008, effectively putting reform out another 8 years?
sundaymorningstaple wrote: So at then end of the next 4 years, he will still be blaming Bush! And when that happens, it will be a long dry spell for the Donkeys before they ever see the Whitehouse again.

I wonder? Can you tax yourself out of poverty?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 3:59 pm

If the answer to my last question is Yes, then maybe he can. But if the answer is No, they the previous 4 years are all we need to know.

If it doesn't work after 8 years, then what? a deficit that has either quadrupled or quintipled at best. More possibly. In the words of Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry, paraphrased, Do you feel lucky? Especially seeing we already bleeding to death.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 7:09 pm

Pending the proverbial corpulent fairer sex's chant, which is still quite a few days away, looks like a change may be likely:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/ ... 2720121020
Last edited by Brah on Mon, 22 Oct 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 7:24 am

Then there was this, this morning:

"The Romney campaign released a new TV ad Sunday......focusing on how Romney worked with a Democratic legislature while Obama has blamed his inability to "change Washington" on opposition from House Republicans."

"...in just one term, Romney drove the state down to 47th out of 50th in job creation, increased per capita debt to the largest in the nation, left his successor a $1 billion deficit, and pushed through a tax cut that overwhelmingly benefited 278 of the wealthiest residents while raising taxes and fees on everyone else," she added. "And he did all of this while refusing to work across the aisle. Mitt Romney wouldn’t make Washington better - he’d make it worse."

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:22 pm

I don't agree with global taxation but earned income exclusion doesn't even prioritize on my list of important reasons in choosing the next president.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 5:41 pm

When you've been out of the country for 30 years, like me, you'll change your tune. :-)