Singapore Expats

HELP! Sending a gold ring to India.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vijithforever

HELP! Sending a gold ring to India.

Post by vijithforever » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:20 pm

Hi there,

I need a help. I need to send a gold ring to my parents in Trivandrum, India. I tried checking with courier and postal services here in Singapore, but they do not take gold as it is in their prohibited list. Is there anyway that I can sendthe gold ring to India?

I thought of putting it in a hard envelope wrapped inside papers so it would look like some confidential documents, but then it would still be detected by the metal detectors and I will end up losing the ring. Have any of you sent a ring to ur home? Please help me on this.

It would be really helpful if you know anyone who is travelling to India [Trivandrum or Bangalore] so that I can send it via them.

Appreciate all your help.
Thanks,
V.
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:58 pm

There is no reason that couriers or the post office won't send gold. Just, you'll have to insure it and that will cost $$$.

p.s. Reminds me of Bolivia back in the 80's. Gringos (always American, and seemingly always bros/(imported 'basketball players')) trying to get you to take their 'mail' with you to post back home.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 1:45 pm

JR8 wrote:There is no reason that couriers or the post office won't send gold. Just, you'll have to insure it and that will cost $$$.

p.s. Reminds me of Bolivia back in the 80's. Gringos (always American, and seemingly always bros/(imported 'basketball players')) trying to get you to take their 'mail' with you to post back home.
Wrong, couriers have some restriction on sending 'jewellery' and that includes watches too .. that's the reason for not shipping gold stuff .. even cheap ones ..

My solution to send some stuff to Philippines was to buy a nice aluminium bottle put the watch inside and pack it with enough paper and courier it .. through the same courier who refused the watch ..

Then again, the watch was not expensive and if it had gone missing, I wouldn't have bothered much ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:05 pm

ecureilx wrote: Wrong, couriers have some restriction on sending 'jewellery' and that includes watches too .. that's the reason for not shipping gold stuff .. even cheap ones ..
Really?

Didn't stop a jeweller in the US FedExing a pair of serious diamond stud earrings to me in Singapore. Or the Cartier I had DHLd to me from the US to Europe.

Both of these were fully disclosed/insured. I wonder which couriers you have in mind?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:18 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Wrong, couriers have some restriction on sending 'jewellery' and that includes watches too .. that's the reason for not shipping gold stuff .. even cheap ones ..
Really?

Didn't stop a jeweller in the US FedExing a pair of serious diamond stud earrings to me in Singapore. Or the Cartier I had DHLd to me from the US to Europe.

Both of these were fully disclosed/insured. I wonder which couriers you have in mind?
err .. try DHL/Fedex - EX-SINGAPORE :) or one of the many air courier companies .. Yes, that's the rule in this part of the world :) No kidding .. if at all they accept it, they will return to you, once the shipment gets rejected .. their consolidator ..

Why send Cartier from US to Europe ? shouldn't it be the other way around ? ;)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 9:17 pm

err .. try DHL/Fedex - EX-SINGAPORE :) or one of the many air courier companies .. Yes, that's the rule in this part of the world :) No kidding .. if at all they accept it, they will return to you, once the shipment gets rejected .. their consolidator ..

I wonder why this applies to SG?

$$$!
You can buy at a discount and online in the US. Something I found impossible to do in the UK; never mind SG.
Here is an example (note this is not the retailer that I used). http://www.jomashop.com/

[/quote]

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:09 am

JR8 wrote: I wonder why this applies to SG?
ehem .. Not just SG, I said 'that's the rule in this part of the world' ;)

$$$!
You can buy at a discount and online in the US. Something I found impossible to do in the UK; never mind SG.
Here is an example (note this is not the retailer that I used). http://www.jomashop.com/

Wow .. something to keep in mind ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 6:09 pm

Same goes for diamonds. If you're comfortable that you know what you're doing then you can buy much cheaper in the US than SG (my benchmark on SG prices being Lee Hwa and Soo Kee), and get it shipped over. I'd estimate that SG is about double the price. Mrs 8's engagement ring was sourced online in Texas (I had it Fedexed to SG).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 8:41 pm

JR8 wrote:Same goes for diamonds. If you're comfortable that you know what you're doing then you can buy much cheaper in the US than SG (my benchmark on SG prices being Lee Hwa and Soo Kee), and get it shipped over. I'd estimate that SG is about double the price. Mrs 8's engagement ring was sourced online in Texas (I had it Fedexed to SG).
:o :o :o

Maybe I should start hinting to someone to look over there :P :P :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:28 pm

ecureilx wrote: Why send Cartier from US to Europe ? shouldn't it be the other way around ? ;)
Almost everything can be had cheaper in the US.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:28 pm

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Same goes for diamonds. If you're comfortable that you know what you're doing then you can buy much cheaper in the US than SG (my benchmark on SG prices being Lee Hwa and Soo Kee), and get it shipped over. I'd estimate that SG is about double the price. Mrs 8's engagement ring was sourced online in Texas (I had it Fedexed to SG).
:o :o :o

Maybe I should start hinting to someone to look over there :P :P :P

bluenile.com is a decent place to start. (change it to ship to US, USD, in top right corner)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:41 pm

They're probably the biggest online retailers and I hear they have a good name.

p.s. Lynx, what you can save on $, can be spent on size ;)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:10 pm

i buy watches regularly from the US - my items (fairly high value) are always insured by parcelpro or jewel systems and always sent through fedex.

no problems... (knock on wood) yet.

might be worth checking out if you want peace of mind. most postal/courier companies won't insure beyond a certain amount or won't pay out when things get "lost."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 8:43 am

taxico wrote:i buy watches regularly from the US - my items (fairly high value) are always insured by parcelpro or jewel systems and always sent through fedex.

no problems... (knock on wood) yet.

might be worth checking out if you want peace of mind. most postal/courier companies won't insure beyond a certain amount or won't pay out when things get "lost."
Do you have any recommended merchants for watches you like? I've seen great prices on some sketchy sites, even good prices on Amazon. My concern about the former is getting ripped off, with the latter not getting the exact watch I want. I don't always trust it to be the current year model for example. The watch I just bought was about $500 USD cheaper on Amazon, so it would have been nice...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 6:21 pm

Hmmm curious. Which watches have 'current year models'?