Singapore Expats

Living in Geylang

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
flying_carpet

Living in Geylang

Post by flying_carpet » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:24 pm

I currently live in the CBD area but I am looking to move out of town - mainly to save $$$. I am thinking of moving to a condo around Lorong 25 Geylang which will cut my rent by half.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Geylang but Lorong 25 seems ok. Has anyone lived in that area and is it that bad? is it safe? I did see some ladies of the night during the day but that's about it. I don't mind it that much.

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:39 pm

I would strongly suggest going there multiple times before you make your decision. Ladies of the night are called that for a reason; they'll be a lot more at night. Go there sunday by day also, when all of the foreign workers are off. And obviously at night. Try 7pm, 10pm, later.

I don't recall exactly where L25 is (the even and odds don't line up perfectly) but I'm pretty sure it's a bad spot. I know L24 is as packed as an MRT station with ladies (of both sexes). I've tried driving down it on a Sunday afternoon and it was ridiculous. I think if you want "safe" Geylang, look in the Lorongs in the 30s and higher, especially 40+. The ones closest to Paya Lebar MRT. They'll be quieter, and you'll be closer to two MRT lines and some shopping.

Also, someone I know rented in City Plaza (Right across from Paya Lebar MRT) for under $3k a month. It's old, but it's a great location. The only vice activities you'll see are all of the working girls buying their skanky outfits at the cheap shops in there.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:43 pm

And slightly off-topic, I've considered buying a condo in this exact area, L40+. They're shoeboxes, but they're brand new, a few hundred meters to MRT, and freeholds.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 3:14 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Also, someone I know rented in City Plaza (Right across from Paya Lebar MRT) for under $3k a month. It's old, but it's a great location. The only vice activities you'll see are all of the working girls buying their skanky outfits at the cheap shops in there.
Don't forget the Karaoke on the 5th floor (I think this is the place where a guy took a young Viet gal who turned out to be under-aged) and Indonesian maid hangout on Sunday ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 3:59 pm

Hah didn't know about the kareoke on the fifth floor.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:41 am

I too wanted to live in Geyland - it's a bargain. My wife; and my bank - would not agree. You cannot get (or at least a few years back) mortgages for the odd numbered lorongs in Geylang.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:45 am

offshoreoildude wrote: You cannot get (or at least a few years back) mortgages for the odd numbered lorongs in Geylang.

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:48 am

I guess it depends on what cheap is. You don't say what rent you are paying now.

I pay just under 3k per month for a three bedroon, two bathroom place in Lorong 2. It's 5 minutes walk from the MRT, supermarket, shops and wet market.

Of course it's HDB housing not a condo but I am close to the city centre, have a big apartment and am not paying a fortune in rent :-)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:04 am

Steve1960 wrote:I guess it depends on what cheap is. You don't say what rent you are paying now.

I pay just under 3k per month for a three bedroon, two bathroom place in Lorong 2. It's 5 minutes walk from the MRT, supermarket, shops and wet market.

Of course it's HDB housing not a condo but I am close to the city centre, have a big apartment and am not paying a fortune in rent :-)
Ouch man - 3k for a HDB? Man I'm glad I got out of renting.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:19 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:I guess it depends on what cheap is. You don't say what rent you are paying now.

That apparently is the norm now for any modicum of convenience "on the cheap." Renting used to be 2400 max for a 3 bedder in a nice location. Now, that same 2400 will just get you a 2 bedder somewhere where it takes 3 transfers to where you work. :cry:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:20 am

offshoreoildude wrote:

I have no idea where Lorong 2 is (and neither does Google Maps), but i assume it is right next to Kallang MRT. That seems like a pretty decent price honestly. You'd pay more for something within 5 minutes of any other MRT station that close to CBD, and even some further out.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:38 am

I have friends, now in Australia, who lived in Geylang close to the No Signboard Seafood Restaurant. Nice place. They really enjoyed living there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 2:44 pm

I have no idea where Lorong 2 is (and neither does Google Maps), but i assume it is right next to Kallang MRT. That seems like a pretty decent price honestly. You'd pay more for something within 5 minutes of any other MRT station that close to CBD, and even some further out.[/quote]

We are 5 mins walk from Toa Payoh MRT station.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 3:24 pm

Steve1960 wrote: We are 5 mins walk from Toa Payoh MRT station.
Oh, that's no where near Geylang, the area this thread was about. No wonder I'm so blur

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 3:39 pm

Apologies, I was trying to introduce the idea that it might be possible to get reasonably priced (by today's standards) accomodation without being knee deep in ladies of the night.

If I am too far off topic burn me :cry: