Singapore Expats

PR application. Alone or together with spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ben8118

Post by ben8118 » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 9:46 am

Any reasons why they expedite the process for malaysian chinese? I noticed this as well. Most malaysians who work less than one year obtained their PR within few months. Moreover they are single young adults.

Other employees e.g. from india, philippines have been waiting for a while.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:12 am

:shock: :shock: Flavour of the month
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ben8118

Post by ben8118 » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:16 am

flavour of the month only? not flavour of the year?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:27 am

The majority race here used to comprise 78 percent of the population. Thanks to lax policies in the past by MOM, the percentage of the Indian population has increase from 7% to around 9~10 percent thus skewing the demographics uncomfortably for the majority who unfortunately control the gubmint! Now they are in the process of a) reducing the inflow of PR's in response of complaint from the ground made extremely evident by this years GE back in May (this year along it dropped from 120K the previous year, to only 30K in 2011. And b) trying to correct the demographic balance so Indians took the biggest hit, but all across the board, the criteria has and is being tightened up.

However, educated Chinese Malaysian have a definite advantage over all the other applicants as they can almost seamlessly assimilate as they and Singapore where once one & the same. There is no cultural difference between a Singapore or Malaysian Chinese. Therefore, they are the flavour of the month. (not year, as MOM & ICA have been changing the OB markers almost on a monthly basis for the past 2 years).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The majority race here used to comprise 78 percent of the population. Thanks to lax policies in the past by MOM, the percentage of the Indian population has increase from 7% to around 9~10 percent thus skewing the demographics uncomfortably for the majority who unfortunately control the gubmint! Now they are in the process of a) reducing the inflow of PR's in response of complaint from the ground made extremely evident by this years GE back in May (this year along it dropped from 120K the previous year, to only 30K in 2011. And b) trying to correct the demographic balance so Indians took the biggest hit, but all across the board, the criteria has and is being tightened up.

However, educated Chinese Malaysian have a definite advantage over all the other applicants as they can almost seamlessly assimilate as they and Singapore where once one & the same. There is no cultural difference between a Singapore or Malaysian Chinese. Therefore, they are the flavour of the month. (not year, as MOM & ICA have been changing the OB markers almost on a monthly basis for the past 2 years).
what SMS says is spot on, I went to the citizen assimilation event, and I was the only non-chinese there. with 90% of the chinese seeming to be from malaysia (i can tell, been here so long)

wkwoods

Post by wkwoods » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:49 am

Just getting back to the TS. My wife and I were both on our individual EPs and we applied for PR separately. Although this was some time back, both were approved individually. We both worked for the same Stat Board. If both of you are well qualified individually, and a desired immigrant, it shouldn't be a problem. When she stopped working voluntarily, she renewed her PR under me.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 4:14 am

wkwoods wrote:Just getting back to the TS. My wife and I were both on our individual EPs and we applied for PR separately. Although this was some time back, both were approved individually. We both worked for the same Stat Board. If both of you are well qualified individually, and a desired immigrant, it shouldn't be a problem. When she stopped working voluntarily, she renewed her PR under me.
The problem is even if you are qualified, you are still not able to ascertain if you are in or out. If we could gaze at the crystal ball and knows what the hell they are thinking, there would not be an influx of queries about this issue.
Over the years I have heard sad stories, crocodile tears, "break my heart situation" and all sorts on just this issue alone.
On another post , forumer looking for ex immigration officer, PM to me on why and what can they do to increase their chances.
Although the Singapore Statutory on Immigration and Permanent Residence is crystal clear, the ever shifting of the goalposts due to political,social and economic situation makes one very hard to guess which way it will go.
As I have mentioned on another post since 2000, the average PR approval is 120K per year. This year 30K approval.
Last year application peaked at 200K. but last year approval 70K approx.
It is coming down and it will remain down until they win back the Aljunied GRC. If WP grows stronger which is a very high possibilities and they win another seat or GRC then all hell breaks loose and the shutting down of FT and PR is very high on the agenda
That is the very reason only certain ethnicity is allowed for contigency plan ahead.
I will dish out more as time goes by

Over and Out
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 4:22 am

Mad Scientist wrote: It is coming down and it will remain down until they win back the Aljunied GRC. If WP grows stronger which is a very high possibilities and they win another seat or GRC then all hell breaks loose and the shutting down of FT and PR is very high on the agenda

So it's about priorities then, i.e. their own.

Lol.... hilarious... :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 8:40 am

JR8 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: It is coming down and it will remain down until they win back the Aljunied GRC. If WP grows stronger which is a very high possibilities and they win another seat or GRC then all hell breaks loose and the shutting down of FT and PR is very high on the agenda

So it's about priorities then, i.e. their own.

Lol.... hilarious... :lol:
Always has been. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chenzi

Re: PR application. Alone or together with spouse

Post by chenzi » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 4:04 pm

ben8118 wrote:Hi,

I'm a Malaysian chinese currently under employement pass P2 and planning to lodge my PR application early next year. By that time I will have clocked up 9 months ++ working in Singapore. My wife is also currently under EP and we have the same period of time as me working in Singapore. She is currently pregnant.

My questions are:
1) I read from the ICA website that I need to download the PR application form and to apply, I need to make an appointment and submit the necessary docs. Is it advisable to apply PR seperately or should she apply under dependent on my behalf?
2) Any update or news on how long is the processing time? I understand that you guys encourage PR application after 2 years or work but in my circumstances, we would like to start a family and settle down in Singapore e.g getting our own flat etc.

Appreciate your feedback, advice and comments.

Hi All,

My situation is similar with ben8118. I & my husband plan to apply PR together but I have few questions as below. We are Malaysian Chinese, boths under EP.

1. My husband will be the main applicant & I will be the dependent PR. Am I right? Pls correct me if I’m wrong.
2. My EP going to expired by end of April 2012. Will this affect to our application.

Please help to advice & appreciate your feedback. Thanks

sonalimaniar

PR application separately or with spouse

Post by sonalimaniar » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 2:12 pm

We are Indian national and both of us are currently on Employment Pass P1 and working in MNC bank. Given the uncertainty in banking industry and lay offs my husband applied for his PEP which got approved within 2 weeks. Cionsidering PR takes 4-6 months to process we thought lets secure PEP first for him. I had in parallel taken my PR application appointment and am planning to apply separately. WIll this be an issue that we are not applying together. My PR application appointment is in Oct 2012 and my husband has already taken an appointment for January 2013. Will they question why we are not applying together as one application? My husband has already taken an appointment for January 2013 .

nakatago

Re: PR application separately or with spouse

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 2:30 pm

sonalimaniar wrote:We are Indian national and both of us are currently on Employment Pass P1 and working in MNC bank. Given the uncertainty in banking industry and lay offs my husband applied for his PEP which got approved within 2 weeks. Cionsidering PR takes 4-6 months to process we thought lets secure PEP first for him. I had in parallel taken my PR application appointment and am planning to apply separately. WIll this be an issue that we are not applying together. My PR application appointment is in Oct 2012 and my husband has already taken an appointment for January 2013. Will they question why we are not applying together as one application? My husband has already taken an appointment for January 2013 .
Yes it will be an issue. Applying separately looks like to the MOM that you're just doing it for job security. Moreover, you being Indian further reduces your chances as anecdotal evidence strongly suggests they want to reduce the number of Indians (yes, it is racist). Also, I'm guessing you don't have children. That further suggests you're not really here to take up roots. Moreover, working in an MNC bank means nothing.

Truth be told, a lot of things are against your favor than in. But since you already have your appointments, be ready to explain things and brace yourselves for rejections. If you get approved, then that will be a pleasant surprise. But don't count on it.

You can read up further on Indians being rejected for PR by using the search function. It's upsetting but that's just the way things are right now.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 3:30 pm

Get ready to go home.
Now I'm called PNGMK

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 4:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:What Saint said is absolute spot on BUT being Malaysian Chinese, ICA will expedite their process quick smart. You will be surprise that they will bent the rule to accommodate. This is what I have been fighting all my life the bloody unfairness treated between Aryan Race and the minority races.
If anyone said there is no racial discrimination in the RED DOT, either that person is blind or the eyes is covered with a lot of SH*T !!

I hate to say this but I have to agree that there is no transparency here at all, in fact from the time I am here till now the people that use singapore as stepping stone the most tend to be the ones that got approved the easiest

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 5:08 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Get ready to go home.
Well... one does have PEP and one does have EP... at worst, the letter will say, "You can continue to work on your work pass".