Singapore Expats

UWC or SAS

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
singaporebound

UWC or SAS

Post by singaporebound » Fri, 13 May 2005 12:38 pm

We are an American family who has been overseas for two years. Our children 6 and 10 have been attending an International School in Beijing. In the Fall we will be moving to Singapore. We have seen both UWC and SAS and can not decide. Any opinions?

Depends

Post by Depends » Tue, 17 May 2005 12:31 am

on your choice re: curriculum. UWC is IB curriculum whereas SAS is an American based curriculum. Both seem to be excellent schools. We also liked both. I have heard (again) recently that SAS is well known for its academic excellence. (via a friend who is an international educator). We saw UWC first but there were no openings for our 6 & 7 yr old only for our 11 yr. old. at UWC. We decided to look at it just to be sure.
If you plan to return to US most people will often recommend going with SAS. If not, then go with your gut feeling or consider whether or not you want your children attending the same school.

school mom

UWC or SAS?

Post by school mom » Tue, 24 May 2005 3:28 pm

I posted a letter almost identical to yours this time last year. We were coming from an International School in Jakarta, and I was very torn as to which school to go to. I am American, my husband is not. I ended up choosing SAS, mostly just on a gut feeling that my kids would fit in there better. The student body seemed to have a similar makeup to our school in Jakarta, alot of Asian faces, as well as American. This was appealing, as I didn't want them to go to a school with only Americans, I liked the international exposure. My kids are MS age, and we have been very happy. That said, I think both are very good schools. If you can, visit the campuses. That's when my choice became easier. You won't go wrong with either school.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 24 May 2005 4:46 pm

I must endorse SAS wholeheartedly. UWC is a fine school, but SAS has a beautiful new campus as well as fine academics and an extremely diverse student body. Take a look at both, then decide --it's the best way.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Sun, 23 May 2010 10:09 am

Five year hence....

Any updates on SAS? I have done my research and am amply satisfied - my daughter will be going to SAS - least amount of culture shock moving from California and I have heard and read good things...

No, I am not going to change my mind ... but just wanting to hear from the inside the scoop on SAS and how my middle school girl will fare.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 23 May 2010 4:47 pm

Even if I had the inside scoop, it would only be my opinion and I wouldn't use this forum to discuss the school in details. My advice? Get involved at school and you'll find out all the information you can handle.