Singapore Expats

How far is too far from school?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
col311

How far is too far from school?

Post by col311 » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 1:46 pm

We're planning to relocate to SG early next year & have a place for our 7 year old at AIS.

We're starting to look for places to live & was interested in parents' opinions in terms of how far is too far to live?

We want to live as close to AIS as possible but some of the condo's that are attractive to us (size, price, condition, facilities) are a little further away (still less than 2km). I heard the schools organise a bus to pick your child up each day & drop off, but am sure there is more to consider than that?

For the 6-12 months we're not planning to get a car so will have to rely on public transport.

Interested in hearing all opinions on this topic as being from Australia, we have no idea!

Thanks in advance..

elspike

Post by elspike » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Col,

We dont have a car and rely on public transport / taxis. I have a 7yo and 4yo.

We live about 4km drive from AIS (over near Marymount MRT). Our boys get on the bus at 8am (arrive before 8.30) and then they are home by 3.30pm. Costs just under SG$400 a term per child.

Busses are the 20 seater coasters. They have a driver and a bus Aunty that ensures they get on and off and that they wear their seatbelts etc. Most addresses can be accommodated. I have friends who live down on the east coast that send their kids by bus and it only takes about 45 minutes each way.

Feel free to PM if you want any more details.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:34 am

20 mins - 30 mins on a bus is long enough IMO.

make sure that you check the school bus company not just gothere.sg or googlemaps, they may have a route that means you are on the bus for 1 hour + when you are only 10 mins away. It's very normal.
nutnut

col311

Post by col311 » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the advice... yes I think more than 30 minutes on a bus each way is too much for my 7 y.o daughter.. so will check bus routes. I guess when they are older then a longer trip is fine, but we're planning to get a car within 12 months anyway..

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:07 am

A bunch in our condo every day sends their kids to school in Johor (malaysia) , and a chum at my daughter school lives in Johor and bring her kid into Sg every day.