Singapore Expats

Extreme manpower shortage in service sector

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vestapo

Extreme manpower shortage in service sector

Post by vestapo » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:35 pm

I talked to some friends who own restaurants or small shops here and all off them said they are unable to hire service staff to work, as owner they have to work as servers some time. They put ads online, outside the shops for weeks but only foreigners willing to take the jobs, some local agreed to work but then last minute called to cancel or work a few days then quit. They paid them attractive salary to the maximum they can afford but the turn over rate is still extremely high. Is it true that Singaporeans do not like to work in those jobs? If so why are they complaining foreigners take away their rice bowl?? I stayed for a few years here but could not understand the mind set of some local people, it seems like they just complain but for no reason!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:08 pm

There is some shortage but no "extreme" situation. The government wants to encourage businesses to automate and find ways to use less labor and increase productivity. They are aware that some businesses might just leave Singapore.

The presence of foreign workers - particularly at the service level - serves to depress wages. If there are fewer foreign workers wages will rise and Singaporeans will have access to better paying jobs. THAT is why having so many foreign workers is not so beneficial to locals.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:20 pm

scarbowl wrote:There is some shortage but no "extreme" situation. The government wants to encourage businesses to automate and find ways to use less labor and increase productivity. They are aware that some businesses might just leave Singapore.

The presence of foreign workers - particularly at the service level - serves to depress wages. If there are fewer foreign workers wages will rise and Singaporeans will have access to better paying jobs. THAT is why having so many foreign workers is not so beneficial to locals.
I can see automation for manufacturing but for hawker centre stalls and small retail shops, not so much.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 5:37 pm

scarbowl wrote:There is some shortage but no "extreme" situation. The government wants to encourage businesses to automate and find ways to use less labor and increase productivity. They are aware that some businesses might just leave Singapore.

That's the theory... but it is self defeating. Singapore competes against Vietnam, China, Thailand, Malaysia, and now, Indonesia. But the companies are putting automation in there as well, with cheaper labor.

Wages will rise and the jobs will disappear. Wages will rise, and costs for everything in the commercial/retail/F&B sector will rise, making things again unaffordable.

Singapore has a real problem. Blue collar manufacturing jobs are leaving here just like they are leaving in the US. But, the US has a much stronger technology base and much more access to natural resources. Both Singapore and the US are moving to service jobs which tend to pay less, except it seems, that here in Singapore, only the foreign talent will work for those wages... oh wait... same in the US... no one but migrant workers will work in the fields or the slaughterhouses.

And well off Singaporeans want cheap labor... it makes them richer when they can exploit foreign workers... just like the average American sneers at foreign labor but conveniently looks the other way when it is low paid construction workers that allow her/him to buy a McMansion instead of a more modest house for the same money.

I'm a strong liberal but populism is a dangerous thing... and that is what the PAP party is pandering to right now. It will badly backfire.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 5:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Singapore competes against Vietnam, China, Thailand, Malaysia, and now, Indonesia. But the companies are putting automation in there as well, with cheaper labor.
+1
Just show 'em the money :P
"Budget Expat"

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 6:17 pm

nakatago wrote:I can see automation for manufacturing but for hawker centre stalls and small retail shops, not so much.
If the people (usually younger females) who work in these places looked up from their iPhone for a couple of minutes every hour and actually served a customer or two, they might improve their productivity without requiring automation
I HAVE MASTERS!

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:49 pm

JayCee wrote:
nakatago wrote:I can see automation for manufacturing but for hawker centre stalls and small retail shops, not so much.
If the people (usually younger females) who work in these places looked up from their iPhone for a couple of minutes every hour and actually served a customer or two, they might improve their productivity without requiring automation
+1 :D

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Extreme manpower shortage in service sector

Post by Saint » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:47 am

vestapo wrote:I talked to some friends who own restaurants or small shops here and all off them said they are unable to hire service staff to work, as owner they have to work as servers some time. They put ads online, outside the shops for weeks but only foreigners willing to take the jobs, some local agreed to work but then last minute called to cancel or work a few days then quit. They paid them attractive salary to the maximum they can afford but the turn over rate is still extremely high. Is it true that Singaporeans do not like to work in those jobs? If so why are they complaining foreigners take away their rice bowl?? I stayed for a few years here but could not understand the mind set of some local people, it seems like they just complain but for no reason!
Tell me about it, it's one of the major issues I have!