Singapore Expats

30% of EP, S-Pass applicants rejected so far this year

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 11:59 am

v4jr4 wrote:I know nothing about the IT curriculum in Singapore, but although there are a lot of swarms of Indian/Filipino IT sources, personally, I think it's not fair to make a direct assumption that SCs are not strong in IT.
I may be shot for saying this .. but .. as per the Singapore Education system, once you mess it in PSLE, you can kiss any chance of University away .. not that it matters, as almost 3/4th of the Uni students are foreigners ..

and a fair amount of local IT people, in the market, are those who 're-skilled' thanks to the subsidised courses and all, like the wave of people who took up nursing post SARS ..

Yes, there are a lot of local guys, who have been in IT since their graduation, and a lot more who did their Degree / qualifications after being in the industry for a while ..

For example, like a former colleague of mine, who has been eating, breathing and talking of nothing other than Linux, since he was 19 years and is a real maestro

And also a few other colleagues, who 'reskilled' and get agitated when the system behaves differently, or the version update moved the menu bars around .. or, well, when they realise the GUI is missing, they are stuck

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:01 pm

nakatago wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
revhappy wrote:How do you know what the quality of the local applying is? Just because he is local, is he entitled for the job? There must be something going right with the job and thats why they get Indians who are less fussy about work compared to the locals may be?
I know nothing about the IT curriculum in Singapore, but although there are a lot of swarms of Indian/Filipino IT sources, personally, I think it's not fair to make a direct assumption that SCs are not strong in IT.
Well, I work in software R&D and know a lot of people who are in it as well. The most common complaints about SC's is that they brush off any questions/queries if it's not directly related to their job scope. But wait, you're thinking, isn't that normal? Well, for most people they will tell you who to ask instead or perhaps ask someone who may know. But for SCs? They usually respond with "Don't know. Don't care." If they respond at all.

From personal experience, I've had Singapore project leads and managers not respond to me at ALL when I email them (and this is the preferred way of asking/escalating issues) after being told that these same people should know to whom to direct my queries. But when I ask someone else (of a different nationality), they would at least try to direct me to someone who may help me.

Others would say "Hmm...I don't know. Let me ask around who does and I'll get back to you."

There are exceptions of course but sadly, this seems to be the norm. :(
That's why I always use the email+direct approach combo. Email is only for black-and-white statement that something has been raised. As for the respond, a direct approach usually works at least within 3 attempts. It's not that easy, but I like to use this kind of workflow :P

And at the same time, I can't really say that all FTs are good, especially for the "masters". For my case, when I requested the "masters" support to follow a certain procedure, this guy always runs half of it *facepalm*
"Budget Expat"

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:12 pm

Holy Smoke ........

Another renewal rejection!!

Looks like the powers that be didnt have the foresight to think this might be an issue when we got downsized!!!

The latest one did her education in Singapore so I would assume that its not on educational grounds.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:20 pm

Barnsley wrote:Holy Smoke ........

Looks like the powers that be didnt have the foresight to think this might be an issue when we got downsized!!!

The latest one did her education in Singapore so I would assume that its not on educational grounds.
Race and age?
"Budget Expat"

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:10 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Holy Smoke ........

Race and age?
Myanmar and she is around 25

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:20 pm

Not sure whether its a coincidence or not, but off late, I have been seeing lots of jobs opening ads especially in the retail sector. Almost every other grocery store(Fairprice, Giant et el) I go or even the small stores, I see banners outside advertising vacancies.

Looks like its really gotten hard to get foreigner labour "into" the country and hence now they are looking for locals or those already here, more aggressively.
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:23 pm

revhappy wrote:Not sure whether its a coincidence or not, but off late, I have been seeing lots of jobs opening ads especially in the retail sector. Almost every other grocery store(Fairprice, Giant et el) I go or even the small stores, I see banners outside advertising vacancies.

Looks like its really gotten hard to get foreigner labour "into" the country and hence now they are looking for locals or those already here, more aggressively.
Oh yeah....noticed that too.

Even the chicken rice stall across the street is looking for a shop assistant.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:24 pm

revhappy wrote:Not sure whether its a coincidence or not, but off late, I have been seeing lots of jobs opening ads especially in the retail sector. Almost every other grocery store(Fairprice, Giant et el) I go or even the small stores, I see banners outside advertising vacancies.

From what I know, for FnB / Bars, the staff limit of 15 foreign workers - not sure on what basis that worked out, has been trimmed to 8 - so come renewals, there will be a bigger shortage.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:31 pm

Oh well, the locals have been complaining about FTs, so this is a way of saying, "There you go, now fill up those vacancies yourselves and stop complaining!"

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:40 pm

Now, I wonder if the appeal process can be "upgraded" by sending a letter (from the director himself) to MP :?
"Budget Expat"

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:43 pm

the lynx wrote:Oh well, the locals have been complaining about FTs, so this is a way of saying, "There you go, now fill up those vacancies yourselves and stop complaining!"
Problem we have is that no local folk appear to want to work night shift and on weekends.

Its gonna be a lot of hard work for HR and my boss.

Not sure when the next person for renewal is coming!!

That last line sounds a bit like Logans Run , but its like that at the minute, everyone has a chance of renewal apparently however nobody does. :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:45 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Now, I wonder if the appeal process can be "upgraded" by sending a letter (from the director himself) to MP :?
my 2 cents ? If you wanna appeal, keep the MPs and ministers out of it, unless your business here is extremely important or highly visible ..

Like the case of a ship owner, who had problems securing PR for his main people, and dropped a word to the minister of shipping that he is moving to Port Klang, and within days, the wheels move so fast that the affected people were told to report to ICA, and within 3 days their PR was approved - his annual turnover was just over 120 million US$

Or the case of a former employer of mine, who's annual turnover was more than 200 million $ and never had any EP refused - not even during the height of the economic crisis of the 90's

Or the case of a former colleague, who is highly involved in a lot of government stuff, whose PR came for renewal, and initially not approved, and with a letter from the minister, the ICA people chopped 10 years on the spot. The guy was important enough for the minister to issue a letter ..

Now, if the company in question here is not so 'powderful' or 'important' two words - > forget it ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:46 pm

this reaction serves the complainers a lesson, now they have to sort their own manpower issues, it is sad to see so many local become anti foreigners indiscriminately, anywhere you go you can see their attitude at you, you are just respond to a job offer they advertised and came here but they treat you like an enemy for no reason. If all the maids and bangla worker goes home, see who will really suffer

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:52 pm

lolipop99 wrote:this reaction serves the complainers a lesson, now they have to sort their own manpower issues, it is sad to see so many local become anti foreigners indiscriminately, anywhere you go you can see their attitude at you, you are just respond to a job offer they advertised and came here but they treat you like an enemy for no reason. If all the maids and bangla worker goes home, see who will really suffer
you didn't see the ASME news that 30% of businesses here are planning to 'migrate' due to manpower issues .. and another 10% swearing to shut down than run on reduced manpower ..

Personally, I know one restaurant owner who is not renewing his lease, and calling it quits, and make his 40 odd staff redundant, in view of the new rules- as his 20 Foreign staff may not make it in the cut ..

And for his space, he needs the foreign staff to cover the late night shifts - while his local staff only cover the day shifts

And one more bar owner who has downsized - reduced his floor space and making do with less staff and less customers ..

PS: then again, some of the local sentiments maybe justified, as i have seen some FTs really "owning" the place, and edging out locals, in my case, seen it in some volunteer work - in simple words "super aggressive" and extremely competitive to the extent, some long terms volunteers who have been assisting for over 20 years in an organisation I know, called it quits when the FTs were quite verbal about the Citizens not doing enough ..

And the foreign volunteers were very open in showing their attitude and disgust at the respect shown on some elderly volunteers ..

And that's just an example ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 1:53 pm

lolipop99 wrote:this reaction serves the complainers a lesson, now they have to sort their own manpower issues, it is sad to see so many local become anti foreigners indiscriminately, anywhere you go you can see their attitude at you, you are just respond to a job offer they advertised and came here but they treat you like an enemy for no reason. If all the maids and bangla worker goes home, see who will really suffer
I'm not quite sure if gahmen will do an aggressive cuts for blue collar workers. But one thing for sure: my Singaporean boss is having headache due to this (although he doesn't complain about FTs in office) :P
"Budget Expat"