Singapore Expats

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
leong82

PR application

Post by leong82 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:05 am

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forum and really enjoyed it. I just recently applied for my pr for the third time on the 1st of October 2012. I applied in early 2011 and 6 months after that. Both are rejected :( Here are my details:

30 years old
Married to a Singaporean Chinese who is 28
I am Malaysian Chinese
Works in bank
Salary not good basic Sgd 2800 due to recent career switch
My wife earns 5k a month with big 4 audit firm
I have been here since 2008
Holds a degree in economics, graduated with high distinction Singapore institute of management. Just graduated in dec 2011

The reason that I am so worried about this application is because I really want to start a family here.

Please give some feedback. Thanks!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Need review on pr application

Post by the lynx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:08 am

leong82 wrote:Hi everyone, I have been reading the forum and really enjoyed it. I just recently applied for my pr for the third time on the 1st of October 2012. I applied in early 2011 and 6 months after that. Both are rejected :( Here are my details:

30 years old
Married to a Singaporean Chinese who is 28
I am Malaysian Chinese
Works in bank
Salary not good basic Sgd 2800 due to recent career switch
My wife earns 5k a month with big 4 audit firm
I have been here since 2008
Holds a degree in economics, graduated with high distinction Singapore institute of management. Just graduated in dec 2011

The reason that I am so worried about this application is because I really want to start a family here.

Please give some feedback. Thanks!
During the last two rejections, what did the letters said? Did the letters tell you to reapply after X months in Singapore?

leong82

Post by leong82 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:33 am

I remember the first one did but I am not so sure of the second one. But during both my previous applications which were rejected, I did not have a degree and not married yet. So I was hoping this 2 status change will help me for this time round.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:40 am

Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leong82

Post by leong82 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:50 am

Yeah, I applied under spouse scheme. I don't mind going for Ns if it gives me the pr to stay in Singapore.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:59 am

Hmm sounds alright then. As long as you follow the timeline inside the rejection letters, you won't go wrong in your application.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:08 pm

leong82 wrote:Yeah, I applied under spouse scheme. I don't mind going for Ns if it gives me the pr to stay in Singapore.
You don't get to do NS .. since you are 30 years old.

g073n

Post by g073n » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 6:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
leong82 wrote:Yeah, I applied under spouse scheme. I don't mind going for Ns if it gives me the pr to stay in Singapore.
Hi ecureilx,

if applicant less than 30 (let say 28), has he higher change to be called up for NS ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 6:47 pm

g073n wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Hi ecureilx,

if applicant less than 30 (let say 28), has he higher change to be called up for NS ?
you didn't search around right ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Second Generation Permanent Residents are required to go through compulsory full-time military service as well as reservist duties after they have completed their full-time military service and turns operationally-ready.

After completing full-time military service, they are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship. However, citizenship is not guaranteed for all applicants, as there are certain criteria that must be met such as educational qualifications and income qualifications. From 2006 to 2010, about 2% of 3,000 Second Generation Permanent Residents who completed full-time military service and applied for Singapore citizenship were rejected.[19]

If the person does not hold Singapore citizenship but still holds Singapore permanent residency, he is still required to serve the service requirement, i.e. reservist duties after he turns operationally-ready.[20]

Singapore Permanent Residents who served national service but did not acquire Singapore citizenship will be treated equally to those permanent residents without service obligation; they would not have access to the privileges granted to Singapore citizens.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 8:40 pm

leong82 wrote:I remember the first one did but I am not so sure of the second one. But during both my previous applications which were rejected, I did not have a degree and not married yet. So I was hoping this 2 status change will help me for this time round.
You were rejected because your first 2 applications were too close together AND you will probably be rejected this time because you filed using the Family Ties scheme and are a newlywed which will smell just like a marriage of convenience. You might not get the kiss of bye-bye letter but you will probably be told to wait at least for two years before you file again.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

g073n

Post by g073n » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:16 am

ecureilx wrote:
g073n wrote:
ecureilx wrote: You don't get to do NS .. since you are 30 years old.
Hi ecureilx,

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Second Generation Permanent Residents are required to go through compulsory full-time military service as well as reservist duties after they have completed their full-time military service and turns operationally-ready.

After completing full-time military service, they are eligible to apply for Singapore citizenship. However, citizenship is not guaranteed for all applicants, as there are certain criteria that must be met such as educational qualifications and income qualifications. From 2006 to 2010, about 2% of 3,000 Second Generation Permanent Residents who completed full-time military service and applied for Singapore citizenship were rejected.[19]

If the person does not hold Singapore citizenship but still holds Singapore permanent residency, he is still required to serve the service requirement, i.e. reservist duties after he turns operationally-ready.[20]

Singapore Permanent Residents who served national service but did not acquire Singapore citizenship will be treated equally to those permanent residents without service obligation; they would not have access to the privileges granted to Singapore citizens.
Hi ecureilx

thanks for your information. I have searched about it before, however I couldn't find any informative link that stated clearly about which age will not be called up for NS if the person granted PR under Family ties. most of it is based on their experience which is could be difference for other people.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 6:50 am

ecureilx wrote:
g073n wrote:
ecureilx wrote: You don't get to do NS .. since you are 30 years old.
Hi ecureilx,

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Squirrel, You didn't read the thread did you?
He's talking about appling under the Family Ties scheme NOT 2nd gen PR.

OP, the odds are against you having to do NS, but you still have to register AND if you are lucky, they will just give you a waiver.

However, you will NOT find it in writing as to what age this happens or if there is an age cutoff at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 8:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Squirrel, You didn't read the thread did you?

OP, the odds are against you having to do NS, but you still have to register AND if you are lucky, they will just give you a waiver.

However, you will NOT find it in writing as to what age this happens or if there is an age cutoff at all.
i stand corrected.

BTW, almost 7 years ago, the registration thing went out of the window for first generation and those coming under family ties, above the NS registration age. That's going by what I have seen among my friends..

Those who get under PTS are not subject to NS, and even Mindef stopped sending the letter stating so .. unlike before when they do send the letter and then say you are exempt ..

leong82

Post by leong82 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I also heard that the first application under spouse scheme always gets rejected. But it's a natural human life progression, to get married as you get older. They definitely will think it's fishy but what to do?

But thanks anyways!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Squirrel, You didn't read the thread did you?

i stand corrected.

BTW, almost 7 years ago, the registration thing went out of the window for first generation and those coming under family ties, above the NS registration age. That's going by what I have seen among my friends..

Those who get under PTS are not subject to NS, and even Mindef stopped sending the letter stating so .. unlike before when they do send the letter and then say you are exempt ..
Incorrect. Saint had to register when he took up PR under the Family Ties scheme, but was subsequently given a waiver. But you ARE still required to register.