Singapore Expats

EP Likelihood?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sgexpat1

EP Likelihood?

Post by sgexpat1 » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 2:35 pm

Hey guys, I'll make it short and sweet, and I won't say "I have a friend..."

I was a stupid, stupid kid back about four years ago, and hit another foreigner in the face a couple times back in Hong Kong. He got a charge against him for harassing one of the couple girls I was with, got a lawyer, and got off. As much as I'd like to claim otherwise, I wasn't drinking. I got an assault conviction, had to pay about SGD1k, and spent no time in jail. If I had gotten a lawyer, I'm sure I would have gotten out of it... maybe it was bravado, but I didn't think it was such a big deal. Of course, I would never do something like that again, and I learned a lot... *sigh*

I just got a job offer in Singapore from a great company I'd LOVE to work with, and after calling a few companies that do these EPs, they pretty much all say I should tick "Yes" for "Any criminal conviction in any country?"

I'm absolutely devastated. Even though it's considered "spent" in Hong Kong, I assume they'll find out either way. What can I do to maximize my chances of getting the EP? Is it even possible? This is so freakin' embarrassing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: EP Likelihood?

Post by the lynx » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 2:42 pm

sgexpat1 wrote:Hey guys, I'll make it short and sweet, and I won't say "I have a friend..."

I was a stupid, stupid kid back about four years ago, and hit another foreigner in the face a couple times back in Hong Kong. He got a charge against him for harassing one of the couple girls I was with, got a lawyer, and got off. As much as I'd like to claim otherwise, I wasn't drinking. I got an assault conviction, had to pay about SGD1k, and spent no time in jail. If I had gotten a lawyer, I'm sure I would have gotten out of it... maybe it was bravado, but I didn't think it was such a big deal. Of course, I would never do something like that again, and I learned a lot... *sigh*

I just got a job offer in Singapore from a great company I'd LOVE to work with, and after calling a few companies that do these EPs, they pretty much all say I should tick "Yes" for "Any criminal conviction in any country?"

I'm absolutely devastated. Even though it's considered "spent" in Hong Kong, I assume they'll find out either way. What can I do to maximize my chances of getting the EP? Is it even possible? This is so freakin' embarrassing.

Any help would be much appreciated.
According to SPF: http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/Rendered%20Sp ... nquiry.htm

If it is spent, you can tick 'NO'

You can chill now, friend :)

sgexpat1

Post by sgexpat1 » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 3:16 pm

the lynx wrote: According to SPF: http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/Rendered%20Sp ... nquiry.htm

Unfortunately, that's five years, and mine is only spent under HK law (three years).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 4:21 pm

sgexpat1 wrote:
the lynx wrote: According to SPF: http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/Rendered%20Sp ... nquiry.htm

Unfortunately, that's five years, and mine is only spent under HK law (three years).
There is a field to explain it on the application form. Just explain the situation and I imagine it will be OK. I know someone who had to answer yes to "Have you been denied entry to Singapore before?" and explained it, and was still approved.