Singapore Expats

New Yorker Article About Chinese Tour Groups in Europe

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
nakatago

New Yorker Article About Chinese Tour Groups in Europe

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 3:21 pm

An American (probably an expat in China) joins a Chinese tour group on their European tour.

'Hilarity' ensues.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... rentPage=1

Interesting perspective, especially how the guide gives his cultural notes. I was like "hmmmm...." most of the time.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Yorker Article About Chinese Tour Groups in Europe

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 4:30 pm

nakatago wrote:An American (probably an expat in China) joins a Chinese tour group on their European tour.

'Hilarity' ensues.

Interesting perspective, especially how the guide gives his cultural notes. I was like "hmmmm...." most of the time.
Laughed and laughing till now .. !!!!!!!!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 4:45 pm

nakatago wrote:An American (probably an expat in China) joins a Chinese tour group on their European tour.

'Hilarity' ensues.

Not sure how funny it can go but it is certainly thought-provoking. The author really gave an honest yet objective observations on Chinese middle-class people in Europe as tourists and what they have observed/discovered.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 5:09 pm

the lynx wrote: Not sure how funny it can go but it is certainly thought-provoking. The author really gave an honest yet objective observations on Chinese middle-class people in Europe as tourists and what they have observed/discovered.
Hilarious for me, partly, because I saw the same behaviour from Singaporeans ..

Like when we were on a guided tour, we were stopping near a 'tribal village' and the van behind us was packed with Singaporeans .. (I knew they are Singaporeans as in the subsequent stop, they told me so .. ) and when the guide asked us to alight and stretch out legs and walk around the tribal houses, the van load of people just took pictures and drove off.. I found out that they wanted to 'crash course' the tour

When i saw another bunch of Singaporeans, in another tour, where we get off the transport and take a carabou ride, the Singaporeans were running behind the cart, and the cart only had their bags .. when I met them in the next stop, they sheepishly admitted that they wanted to fast track the tour and made the cart as light as possible, as they had a timeline to meet .. even on a holiday, they were rushing like mad max ..

Oh, later, when I was in the bar that night, I saw the whole gang, to see, they had missed the last boat out of the island, despite their rushed tour .. and I heard them planning their next tour, as to make it as compressed as possible ..