Singapore Expats

Dependent Visa for new born

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
prad

Dependent Visa for new born

Post by prad » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 4:34 pm

Hello everyone,
I and my wife are on S pass in Singapore. My wife is due to give birth in December. Will my baby get a dependent pass? My wife is going to deliver in Singapore itself.
I read according to the new rules the minimum salary required is 4000 Sing Dollars. Our salaries are slightly lesser than 4000 each but together the salary is more than 7000.
Will the new born get the dependent visa? Please advise.
Cheers

a_a_m

Letter of the law says no

Post by a_a_m » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 8:59 am

Hi, looking at the guidelines, it seems to be a pretty explicit no: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

I see two options:

1. Negotiate a pay hike for either you or your spouse - companies should be aware of these changes and have some plans to retain employees, though they may not advertise the fact.

2. Apply anyway or try some kind of appeal. I guess you could also visit/call the MoM and ask them if there is any way to club your incomes to meet the criteria.

Option 1 is probably more likely to succeed - if nothing else it's a valid reason to get a hike! Option 2 hinges on flexibility, and my gut feeling is that it will be hard to swing. Probably easier to discuss this for the person who's not going on maternity leave.

Also, the link says that the baby will get a 42 day short term pass, so might be good to have an exit plan in place. While it's definitely not fun to have to travel with such a young baby, having to plan it at the last minute will definitely make things worse.

Good luck!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dependent Visa for new born

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 9:50 am

prad wrote:Hello everyone,
I and my wife are on S pass in Singapore. My wife is due to give birth in December. Will my baby get a dependent pass? My wife is going to deliver in Singapore itself.
I read according to the new rules the minimum salary required is 4000 Sing Dollars. Our salaries are slightly lesser than 4000 each but together the salary is more than 7000.
Will the new born get the dependent visa? Please advise.
Cheers
your salary of 4,000 or 7,000, is it basic or including benefits / commission ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:57 am

it's their combined household income.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:it's their combined household income.
Going by the case of a friend, who's combined income was around 6,500 - they were given a DP for their child .. the child was delivered in India.

Though LTVP was refused for the mother of the wife .. despite letters and all from the employer saying the pay of the wife has been revised to 4,000 with immediate effect.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:01 pm

Don't you think the authorities would smell the kickback scheme there? Pretty obvious I'd think.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Re: Dependent Visa for new born

Post by x9200 » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 11:15 am

Looks like a pretty tough situation. I understand you got simply caught by surprise as the rules have changed when your wife was pregnant already? I would try to arrange a meeting with an officer (not a desk clerk) in MOM and ask for advice. This is a transitional period, maybe they will show some more understanding for the cases like yours as if refused at least your wife and the child will have to leave. If they decided earlier (by granting her S pass) that her presence here is good for SG and the circumstances are beyond her control then who knows, maybe they will rule in your favour.

prad

Checked with MOM

Post by prad » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:01 am

Hi All,
Thank you for your replies. I checked with the MOM and they told me its case to case basis if your salary is low. But yes they told me to reach my salary to that bench mark and then the chances are higher. But still no confirmed answer.
Dear Me.
Anyways, If anyone of you can actually check up with the officers that would be great. Please keep me and others who are sailing in the same boat informed.
Thanks a ton.
Cheers

nakatago

Re: Checked with MOM

Post by nakatago » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:50 am

prad wrote:Hi All,
Thank you for your replies. I checked with the MOM and they told me its case to case basis if your salary is low. But yes they told me to reach my salary to that bench mark and then the chances are higher. But still no confirmed answer.
Dear Me.
Anyways, If anyone of you can actually check up with the officers that would be great. Please keep me and others who are sailing in the same boat informed.
Thanks a ton.
Cheers
We don't and can't speak with anyone inside MOM and ICA. We only work with anecdotal evidence.

MS sometimes has inside information but he is not always here (anymore) and if he is, he can't say what he knows about what you want.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Re: Checked with MOM

Post by x9200 » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:01 pm

prad wrote:Anyways, If anyone of you can actually check up with the officers that would be great. Please keep me and others who are sailing in the same boat informed.
It has to be YOU. Nobody will speculate about your case on a general ground and this would make no sense at all. Your only chance (apart from some kind of salary rise) is to go there in person and talk in person and in person help your case. Gosh, with your attitude you likely already lost the battle :roll:

prad

Post by prad » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 2:26 pm

x9200 wrote:Looks like a pretty tough situation. I understand you got simply caught by surprise as the rules have changed when your wife was pregnant already? I would try to arrange a meeting with an officer (not a desk clerk) in MOM and ask for advice. This is a transitional period, maybe they will show some more understanding for the cases like yours as if refused at least your wife and the child will have to leave. If they decided earlier (by granting her S pass) that her presence here is good for SG and the circumstances are beyond her control then who knows, maybe they will rule in your favour.

well i wrote with reference to this reply where the gentleman said that he would try and arrange a meeting with officer. So I thought someone is already checking up for this info. I know it has to be me to check the information and talk to the officers which I am already doing. I was just referring if anyone has a same case like me and what steps are they taking.
Cheers

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 9:08 pm

prad wrote:well i wrote with reference to this reply where the gentleman said that he would try and arrange a meeting with officer. So I thought someone is already checking up for this info.
This is what he said, I'm flabbergasted that you didn't understand what this meant:

"I would try to arrange a meeting with an officer (not a desk clerk) in MOM and ask for advice"

Is your masters in English?
I HAVE MASTERS!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 10:22 pm

JayCee wrote:
prad wrote:well i wrote with reference to this reply where the gentleman said that he would try and arrange a meeting with officer. So I thought someone is already checking up for this info.
This is what he said, I'm flabbergasted that you didn't understand what this meant:

"I would try to arrange a meeting with an officer (not a desk clerk) in MOM and ask for advice"

Is your masters in English?
Perhaps not an advanced master :P
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:08 pm

You know, it's no damned wonder that the locals are p*ssed off about FT today. The quality of FTs today..... Oh, wait a minute, for the most part there doesn't seem to be any quality. :roll:

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 8:40 am

Wait a minute! Granted that his English is not the best, that has nothing to do with his talent.

In India, we use very simple English and terms like "I would arrange a meeting with an officer" isnt as widely as used there to mean anything other than its literal meaning.

As an S Pass holder with probably a blue collar job, his English is already good enough for the job he is performing.

As it is English is a Freakin' crazy language totally different from any other language in the world where you say something and mean something else and you spell something and read something else. Have you English speaking guys ever even tried uttering a word in any other language? When you have never ever spoken anything other that what your mom taught you, you are obviously experts of that language. As Indians many of us can speak atleast 4 languages and some even more.

The level of English competency we have is good enough for this country or anywhere else.
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.