Singapore Expats

Study

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.
Linguistics

Study

Post by Linguistics » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:24 pm

With sincere thanks.
Last edited by Linguistics on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:38 pm

What's wrong with American English? At least we pronounce the words as they are spelled.

And why not Ozzies or Kiwis? To the untrained ear, they all sound British.

And mate, do they need to be exclusively from the English part of UK? What about the Scotch? The Irish? The Liverpudlians... all far different forms of pronunciation and accent.

And why don't 50 year old's qualify? All the ones I've met, even the British, still seem to be able to speak.

Sounds like a load of rubbish.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What's wrong with American English? At least we pronounce the words as they are spelled.

And mate, do they need to be exclusively from the English part of UK? What about the Scotch? The Irish? The Liverpudlians... all far different forms of pronunciation and accent.

And why don't 50 year old's qualify? All the ones I've met, even the British, still seem to be able to speak.

To be fair, OP is doing a thesis and he is just setting a set of parameters, which is a normal practice in research and study, because after all, the sky is the limit and one has to define the parameters to work within.

But I still have to agree that scope is pretty narrow but this is set by OP/OP's thesis supervisor and there is nothing you and I can do to change it. I'm no linguist expert, but this work will have a little bit of hard time convincing others as a credible or reliable source of reference in this field.

Singapore English is after all, derived (not sure if it is the right word) from British English, thanks to the history of being a British colony. Not saying that American English, Canadian English, Australian English is inferior but I guess it makes sense that OP is looking at British English.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:40 pm

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What's wrong with American English? At least we pronounce the words as they are spelled.

To be fair, OP is doing a thesis and he is just setting a set of parameters, which is a normal practice in research and study, because after all, the sky is the limit and one has to define the parameters to work within.

But I still have to agree that scope is pretty narrow but this is set by OP/OP's thesis supervisor and there is nothing you and I can do to change it. I'm no linguist expert, but this work will have a little bit of hard time convincing others as a credible or reliable source of reference in this field.

Singapore English is after all, derived (not sure if it is the right word) from British English, thanks to the history of being a British colony. Not saying that American English, Canadian English, Australian English is inferior but I guess it makes sense that OP is looking at British English.
Which explains why so many that come out of university don't know any more than when they first went in.

Flawed input into a flawed study yields garbage out. And, everyone pretends that something useful is going to come out of this nonsense.

Theodore Sturgeon said, "90 percent of everything is crap", and this applies to academic studies, in spades.

Show me why it has to be British English when there are English speakers of every stripe in Singapore... hello... this is the modern world. Show me why the age cutoff is 45.

I bet the OP has no idea why either of these conditions exists... she/he will just blindly move forward to complete the assignment without ever asking the questions that really need to be asked... like... "How stupid is this survey?"

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:43 pm

I just went and listened to the survey... why this is restricted to British English speakers I'll never know.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:26 am

Strong Eagle wrote:What's wrong with American English?

Sorry SE, couldn't resist :mrgreen:
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 8:29 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What's wrong with American English?

Sorry SE, couldn't resist :mrgreen:

I must be missing something. It is the second most widely spoken version of English on the planet, and the one most popular in media.

The first most spoken? Indian English, so take that and stew on it :P

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 9:19 am

I've completed your Survey, happy to be of service!
nutnut

Linguistics

Post by Linguistics » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:19 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Which explains why so many that come out of university don't know any more than when they first went in.

Flawed input into a flawed study yields garbage out. And, everyone pretends that something useful is going to come out of this nonsense.

Theodore Sturgeon said, "90 percent of everything is crap", and this applies to academic studies, in spades.

Show me why it has to be British English when there are English speakers of every stripe in Singapore... hello... this is the modern world. Show me why the age cutoff is 45.

I bet the OP has no idea why either of these conditions exists... she/he will just blindly move forward to complete the assignment without ever asking the questions that really need to be asked... like... "How stupid is this survey?"
Dear all, thanks for your interest.

Certain experimental requirements/ perimeters have to be put in place to meet certain specific objectives of the study (as pointed out by the lynx). Age group and nationality are some of the factors, among others, that are controlled in this study. It has been shown that age can influence how people perceive languages. In addition, I am narrowing it by nationality due to the study's requirement.

I am not implying that there are anything 'wrong' with other types of English, nor the way English is spoken by other nationalities. Any misunderstanding is deeply regretted.

Thank you all once again for taking the time to pen down your thoughts. I appreciate it.

I wish all of you a pleasant week ahead and the very best in all your endeavors!

Linguistics

Post by Linguistics » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:21 pm

nutnut wrote:I've completed your Survey, happy to be of service!
Dear nutnut, thank you very much! Most appreciated. Have a good day!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:42 pm

Linguistics wrote:
nutnut wrote:I've completed your Survey, happy to be of service!
Dear nutnut, thank you very much! Most appreciated. Have a good day!
A sampling of 1, and a "nutnut" at that. By the way, how are you controlling to ensure that it is really only the British taking your survey and that they are between 18 and 45?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 7:30 pm

when had to do a study for a paper in university, i offered coffee or grocery store vouchers to respondents. tacked them up on notice boards all over campus and i had more people than i needed.

they gave me their information too, so i know they were legit.

i'm not sure if you'll get the accurate numbers you need by posting on internet forums...

just sayin.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:33 am

Yeah, I'd like a coffee! Thanks please.
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:39 am

nutnut wrote:Yeah, I'd like a coffee! Thanks please.
Fancy a cuppa, guv'nah?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:58 am

taxico wrote:when had to do a study for a paper in university, i offered coffee or grocery store vouchers to respondents. tacked them up on notice boards all over campus and i had more people than i needed.

they gave me their information too, so i know they were legit.

i'm not sure if you'll get the accurate numbers you need by posting on internet forums...

just sayin.
Trust me, these days, students seem to forget the courtesy of rewarding the participants for their time. Budget constraints, etc... whatever.

I still remember when I was volunteering to conduct survey interviews (for some cause I was championing) on university students back when I was studying, I offered simple henna artwork on-the-spot on participants as a form of thank-you (and also for publicity purposes).

I'd say that one should be creative in rewarding survey participants.