Singapore Expats

What happens if I don't serve my NS?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 5:40 pm

revhappy wrote:...Regarding SG passport. No way. This place is not at meant for retiring...
i beg to differ. i know many people who like retiring in singapore. my parents are now singapore citizens and they cannot think of another place they'd rather be.

i'm not saying this is the perfect place - i don't think anywhere is, but it's been a suitable place for a good number of AARP members.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 7:19 pm

taxico wrote:
revhappy wrote:...Regarding SG passport. No way. This place is not at meant for retiring...
i beg to differ. i know many people who like retiring in singapore. my parents are now singapore citizens and they cannot think of another place they'd rather be.

i'm not saying this is the perfect place - i don't think anywhere is, but it's been a suitable place for a good number of AARP members.[/quote

I think it mostly has to do with the size of one's savings.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 7:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
taxico wrote:

i'm not saying this is the perfect place - i don't think anywhere is, but it's been a suitable place for a good number of AARP members.[/quote

I think it mostly has to do with the size of one's savings.
It costs too damn much and prices for everything continue to rise. Not a good place to retire.

Hell... not such a good place to work anymore, between the rising living costs and the apparent hostility towards "foreign talent" on the part of the gahmen and the populace.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:32 pm

+1, and painfully so
Strong Eagle wrote:It costs too damn much and prices for everything continue to rise. Not a good place to retire.

Hell... not such a good place to work anymore, between the rising living costs and the apparent hostility towards "foreign talent" on the part of the gahmen and the populace.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 2:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Hell... not such a good place to work anymore, between the rising living costs and the apparent hostility towards "foreign talent" on the part of the gahmen and the populace.
it seems when the shits hits the fan, the first targets are generally the "foreigners". happens in australia too. when the shit hit the fan, finding a job with a name other than smith, jones, or moore was pretty impossible.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 11:51 pm

sensei_ wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Hell... not such a good place to work anymore, between the rising living costs and the apparent hostility towards "foreign talent" on the part of the gahmen and the populace.
it seems when the shits hits the fan, the first targets are generally the "foreigners". happens in australia too. when the shit hit the fan, finding a job with a name other than smith, jones, or moore was pretty impossible.
For some reason, blaming "foreigners" is a "legit" shortcut.
"Budget Expat"

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:54 am

v4jr4 wrote:
sensei_ wrote:
For some reason, blaming "foreigners" is a "legit" shortcut.
It is called scapegoating. It is a short cut and myopic way of thinking that prevents one from understanding the real issues and finding the solutions.

Having said that, it is no easy task for a group to accept new comers. It takes time to absorp and come to terms with these new societal influences. We are humans, not robots! It is a generational process. Most people are not that open-minded and flexible nor accepting of changes.