Singapore Expats

1. Diplomatic or Repatriate Clause - 10+ 2 or 12+2

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aargon
Chatter
Chatter

1. Diplomatic or Repatriate Clause - 10+ 2 or 12+2

Post by aargon » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 6:25 pm

This clause is to safe guard you if in the event you are no longer employed, transferred to other countries, you can terminate the lease after 12 months by giving 2 months notice. Thereafter, the security deposit will be refunded to you. Please note that most landlords will only include the diplomatic clause if the lease is more than a year.

Point in bold, does that mean a minimum of 12 months then you can terminate by giving 2 months notice after 10 months or does it means a minimum of 14 months, where you give 2 months notice after 12?

appreciate any experience on this matter.

:???:
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 7:32 pm

Twelve plus two.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 8:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Twelve plus two.
Thanks SMS, you`re a legend in this forum.

Anyone else with a different interpretion/experience? was really hoping for a 10+2....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 8:30 pm

Just analyze the sentence:

You have this sequence:
1) you can terminate the lease after 12 months (so you can not do anything earlier)
2) by giving 2 months notice (and from (1) you can not give this notice before part (1) is fulfilled)

this makes 12+2

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 8:32 pm

aargon, the LL will probably let you leave at 10 months but it will cost you 4 months rent to do so. Sounds like he's got you by the short & curlies! :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 8:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:aargon, the LL will probably let you leave at 10 months but it will cost you 4 months rent to do so. Sounds like he's got you by the short & curlies! :(
FARK! :mad:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:43 am

aargon wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:aargon, the LL will probably let you leave at 10 months but it will cost you 4 months rent to do so. Sounds like he's got you by the short & curlies! :(

Is the company moving you overseas or are you no longer employed at all? If the latter, you could be screwed but if the former, and a company wants you to relocate then it could be negotiated with them to reimburse any lost deposit as part of the relocation expense.

This might, for example, also include any loss from an early termination of a Mobile Phone or Cable TV contract.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Mon, 24 Sep 2012 4:22 pm

aargon wrote:
My TA with landlord is worded as such, i would advise all those who are looking to rent out, take note and amend the TA to reflect this instead before signing :

"Tentant shall have the right to terminate this agreement by giving one (1) month's notice to the Landlord or appointed Agent with the condition of a minimum stay of twelve (12) months on premises, inclusive of the notice period."

This makes a 11 + 1 instead of a 12 + 1.

=edited for great justice and poor grammar=
~~ I have nothing witty or interesting to add here ~~

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 24 Sep 2012 9:14 pm

winnoe wrote:
aargon wrote:
My TA with landlord is worded as such, i would advise all those who are looking to rent out, take note and amend the TA to reflect this instead before signing :

"Tentant shall have the right to terminate this agreement by giving one (1) month's notice to the Landlord or appointed Agent with the condition of a minimum stay of twelve (12) months on premises, inclusive of the notice period."

This makes a 11 + 1 instead of a 12 + 1.

=edited for great justice and poor grammar=
Being like yourself a Singaporean or like myself SPR I would not even mentioned about any diplomatic clause if I have one in my TA.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 2:28 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
aargon wrote:

Is the company moving you overseas or are you no longer employed at all? If the latter, you could be screwed but if the former, and a company wants you to relocate then it could be negotiated with them to reimburse any lost deposit as part of the relocation expense.

This might, for example, also include any loss from an early termination of a Mobile Phone or Cable TV contract.
It's the former and I have already signed the contract.

double FARK! :mad:

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 2:31 am

x9200 wrote:Being like yourself a Singaporean or like myself SPR I would not even mentioned about any diplomatic clause if I have one in my TA.

typical selfish singaporean attitude. it's all about money, money, money with you lot. :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 7:46 am

aargon wrote:
x9200 wrote:Being like yourself a Singaporean or like myself SPR I would not even mentioned about any diplomatic clause if I have one in my TA.

typical selfish singaporean attitude. it's all about money, money, money with you lot. :roll:
Let me explain so you will not make an idiot out of yourself for the second time. The diplomatic clause is typically for non-residents so i.e. work pass holders. SC and SPR are the residents. Majority of the agents and many landlords are aware of this and will be very reluctant to keep the diplomatic clause in TA in such cases. Both winnoe and myself are renting apartments here (we are the tenants) so if I were him I would not suggest any alteration to the clause because he should be happy to have a standard one inside his contract. Messing around would bring unnecessarily attention of the LL and the agent to this clause and they may want to completely remove it.