Singapore Expats

Hi! Need Help from an expat here! :)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
kelvin8888

Hi! Need Help from an expat here! :)

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 3:11 pm

As I'm doing a cross cultural managment module, would like to seek help from an expat here who has worked at least 6 months here for an interview (around an hour max). I will try to compensate for any expenses that you may incur during the interview. Hope to have a kind samaritarian who can help me! Thanks and hope to hear from you soon! :)

x9200

Re: Hi! Need Help from an expat here! :)

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 3:26 pm

kelvin8888 wrote:As I'm doing a cross cultural managment module, would like to seek help from an expat here who has worked at least 6 months here for an interview (around an hour max). I will try to compensate for any expenses that you may incur during the interview. Hope to have a kind samaritarian who can help me! Thanks and hope to hear from you soon! :)
That's intriguing unless you mean some ice tea or such.

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 3:39 pm

x9200 wrote:
kelvin8888 wrote:As I'm doing a cross cultural managment module, would like to seek help from an expat here who has worked at least 6 months here for an interview (around an hour max). I will try to compensate for any expenses that you may incur during the interview. Hope to have a kind samaritarian who can help me! Thanks and hope to hear from you soon! :)
That's intriguing unless you mean some ice tea or such.
Yes, we can meet for high tea or something like that .. are you keen? :oops:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 3:57 pm

What kind of expat? You've got your expat from the Indian subcontinent, from the US, from the UK, from AU. Might have come for different reasons... or not.

Some have been here for more than 20 years, some barely 6 months.

Some came for technical jobs, some for management, some for their own businesses.

Some were sent by their companies, others chose to make the move themselves.

And then there are the trailing spouses...

One person isn't going to tell you much about the group as a whole, although the individual story may be interesting.

I'm probably the most interesting expat on the board! 8-)

Except for all the rest.

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 4:17 pm

x9200 wrote:That's intriguing unless you mean some ice tea or such.
Iced water in a plastic cup at McDonald's and $1.28 bus fare!

Too bad i'm not eligible. :D
~~ I have nothing witty or interesting to add here ~~

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 4:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What kind of expat? You've got your expat from the Indian subcontinent, from the US, from the UK, from AU. Might have come for different reasons... or not.

Some came for technical jobs, some for management, some for their own businesses.

One person isn't going to tell you much about the group as a whole, although the individual story may be interesting.

Except for all the rest.
The purpose of my interview is to find out about issues facing people who work and live in a culture different than the one they grew in. Expats will mean those that are appointed by their company to come to work in a foreign country, which in this case, Singapore.

I will need just one, and that one kind samaritarian, regardless of nationality, will have worked here for at least six months. I will fully respect requests for anonymity.

I can't PM people due to some restrictions in place, so please PM me if interested. Thanks a lot! :)

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 5:06 pm

any kind soul willing to lend a helping hand? :oops:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 5:09 pm

kelvin8888 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What kind of expat? You've got your expat from the Indian subcontinent, from the US, from the UK, from AU. Might have come for different reasons... or not.

Except for all the rest.
The purpose of my interview is to find out about issues facing people who work and live in a culture different than the one they grew in. Expats will mean those that are appointed by their company to come to work in a foreign country, which in this case, Singapore.

I will need just one, and that one kind samaritarian, regardless of nationality, will have worked here for at least six months. I will fully respect requests for anonymity.

I can't PM people due to some restrictions in place, so please PM me if interested. Thanks a lot! :)
And is that for your assignment etc? Which institution you are coming from? Educational? Journalism? Government agency?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 5:09 pm

You have a rather narrow definition of "expat". Those that come from the subcontinent in search of a job are just as much expats as the American who gets posted here for two years.

And these two will face totally different issues and cultural context. The expat who arrives on a package gets a nice house, good car, private schooling, club membership... Singapore is Disneyworld for a couple of years.

The Indian tech who arrives with two kids, stays in an HDB flat, rides the bus, and eats rice daily because he only makes 4.5K per month has a totally different experience.

And, I haven't even spoken about the Indian/Burmese construction workers, or the Filipina maids, or the Filipina restaurant workers... guess what... they are expats, too.

And, the Indian will be treated differently than the white expat. So will the construction workers and the maids... often with sneering disdain.

So, again... you might get an interesting individual story... but you'll still know nothing of expats in general. Sounds like a bullshit "cross cultural management module" if it doesn't recognize the diversity in the expat population.

PS: You can PM with 5 posts. But please do not spam our membership with unsolicited requests, lest you find your posting privileges suspended.

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 5:33 pm

the lynx wrote:
kelvin8888 wrote:

Except for all the rest.

And is that for your assignment etc? Which institution you are coming from? Educational? Journalism? Government agency?
This is a compulsory module from my private university :)

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 5:36 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You have a rather narrow definition of "expat". Those that come from the subcontinent in search of a job are just as much expats as the American who gets posted here for two years.

And these two will face totally different issues and cultural context. The expat who arrives on a package gets a nice house, good car, private schooling, club membership... Singapore is Disneyworld for a couple of years.

The Indian tech who arrives with two kids, stays in an HDB flat, rides the bus, and eats rice daily because he only makes 4.5K per month has a totally different experience.

And, I haven't even spoken about the Indian/Burmese construction workers, or the Filipina maids, or the Filipina restaurant workers... guess what... they are expats, too.

And, the Indian will be treated differently than the white expat. So will the construction workers and the maids... often with sneering disdain.

So, again... you might get an interesting individual story... but you'll still know nothing of expats in general. Sounds like a bullshit "cross cultural management module" if it doesn't recognize the diversity in the expat population.

PS: You can PM with 5 posts. But please do not spam our membership with unsolicited requests, lest you find your posting privileges suspended.
Actually any nationality will do, as long as they are brought in by their company to work here in Singapore and has been here for at least 6 months.

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 6:11 pm

To clarify, this interview forms a part of my assignment for my cross cultural management module. This is definitely not a scam or a ploy to market anything, just a plea for help from an undergraduate :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 7:40 pm

I'm not your man, then. I came here to start a business.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 7:44 pm

winnoe wrote:

Bus fare does not count in as it is not during the interview - that's the problem. :-| Initially I was having some thought that he would throw at the poor expat a bawl of laksa or mee goreng or maybe even some rogan josh if he is particularly mean. Later he could record the cultural shock and cover the costs of the laundry services as he promised but now I don't know.

kelvin8888

Post by kelvin8888 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 8:22 pm

x9200 wrote:
winnoe wrote:

Bus fare does not count in as it is not during the interview - that's the problem. :-| Initially I was having some thought that he would throw at the poor expat a bawl of laksa or mee goreng or maybe even some rogan josh if he is particularly mean. Later he could record the cultural shock and cover the costs of the laundry services as he promised but now I don't know.
I understand you guys are busy folks, so I really do appreciate if a kind expat agrees to a short interview. For that, I will cover all expenses incurred during the interview as well as transport costs. Can anyone help me out please? :oops: