Singapore Expats

Conflicting information received

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
girlonthemove

Conflicting information received

Post by girlonthemove » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 9:26 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help with some information. My partner (de-facto) is currently considering a relocation from Australia to Singapore with his company. I am interested in finding work during his period in Singapore, and have been getting mixed messages from my research, especially with the recent visa change at the beginning of September.

It is likely I will be there on a LTVP visa, however have heard that it is possible to find work while there, assuming the company is willing to sponsor me. Is this the case, and how common is this? What criteria is generally required to receive sponsorship?

I'm just a bit confused, from the research I have done I was under the impression that it was really difficult to get work unless I was on a dependent visa (ie married) and get a LOC?

I have recently completed my master's degree in Marketing, and have work experience in Account Management in the Education Marketing industry. However I am interested in exploring other suitable opportunities while in singapore.

Thanks,
looking forward to moving!

x9200

Re: Conflicting information received

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 9:42 pm

girlonthemove wrote:It is likely I will be there on a LTVP visa, however have heard that it is possible to find work while there, assuming the company is willing to sponsor me. Is this the case, and how common is this? What criteria is generally required to receive sponsorship?

Firstly, to get LTVP you will need to prove your de facto relationship. Are you aware of this? I suggest you search this forum with the keywords like girlfriend, common law marriage etc. There is tons of info about this.
As for the work you can not work on LTVP but, there is nothing stopping you to find an employer and let him apply for your work visa. Whether it will be accepted is another issue.

I'm just a bit confused, from the research I have done I was under the impression that it was really difficult to get work unless I was on a dependent visa (ie married) and get a LOC?

With LOC it may be a bit easier but I understand you are not married yet.

I have recently completed my master's degree in Marketing, and have work experience in Account Management in the Education Marketing industry. However I am interested in exploring other suitable opportunities while in singapore.

Two main factors that matter:
1. a degree
2. your working experience (preferably 2 years or more) in the area associated with your degree

A clear tightening of the criteria is a fact so all together don't be too optimistic about an easy job finding.

Thanks,

girlonthemove

Post by girlonthemove » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 7:43 am

Hi

Thanks for the response, and clarifying some information for me.
Firstly, to get LTVP you will need to prove your de facto relationship. Are you aware of this? I suggest you search this forum with the keywords like girlfriend, common law marriage etc. There is tons of info about this.
As for the work you can not work on LTVP but, there is nothing stopping you to find an employer and let him apply for your work visa. Whether it will be accepted is another issue.[/color]
Yes thank you, we are aware of having to prove our relationship. My partners work will be handling of of our visa and paper work needed for this move so we are not too worried about getting me a visa to stay in singapore. I guess my main concern is the best way for me to go about getting work while in singapore. Am I correct to think that it tends to be difficult for people on LTVP to change sponsorship to there employers when they find work?

My partners are planning on getting married, I guess I am trying to figure out if we should rush our wedding ahead just so I can work while Im over in singapore. Or weather we stick to our original time line on the wedding.

Thanks,

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 8:27 am

Unless you are really desperate to find a job ASAP I would not change your original wedding plans.
LOC gives you this advantage that it is typically approved by MOM without much hassle but the other side of the coin is that the employers are not so keen to hire DP holders so it does not guarantee at all easy job finding. This is for various reasons including that they are simply not aware they can. EP is much more difficult to get approved but then it is more satisfaction for and you don't need to change your plans and getting married sooner just to get a work visa may not feel that nice neither.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 9:02 am

girlonthemove wrote:My partners are planning on getting married, I guess I am trying to figure out if we should rush our wedding ahead just so I can work while Im over in singapore. Or weather we stick to our original time line on the wedding.
How many partners do you have? :???: :wink:

That notwithstanding, if you do get married, working on a LoC, once the Employer figures out how easy it is to get, will be the problem that it fully hinges on your spouse's EP, expiring and renewing in tandem. This means if your partner loses his EP you lose you LoC. This could be bad. This also will cause your potential employers to think about how much ROI they can expect. Having a LTVP just means that you will have to qualify like anybody else when applying for a job. e.g, you will be given an EP as well if found suitable by an employer AND MOM.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

girlonthemove

Post by girlonthemove » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 2:03 pm

Ha ha ha :oops: - no I only have one significant other (that he knows of :P )

Thanks for the information, I suppose it comes down to weighing up the pros and cons of finding work on LTVP or finding work while on a dependent Visa.

On a side note, Im assuming its not difficult changing visas from a LTVP to a Dependent visa?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 2:17 pm

Just to clarify something, my understanding from various other posts over the months and years is as follows:
  • LoC is available under DP, but not LTVP.

A DP holder can work with an LoC, but an LTVP holder cannot work (they would need their own EP).

LTVP+ allows the holder to work, but this is only available to a spouse of a SC.
Or a meringue (with a Scottish accent)?
Be careful what you wish for

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 2:34 pm

girlonthemove wrote:On a side note, Im assuming its not difficult changing visas from a LTVP to a Dependent visa?
No, not difficult providing your partners :) are eligible:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx