Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 3:41 pm

Sounds like you are going good. Remember, when you feel like you could chew the legs off a table, it's time to quit. Pushing past that will not do you any good. Congrats. Go to the supermarket and grab a 10kg bag of rice and carry it around while you shop. See why your body is thanking you. I tried it with two 10 kg bags, 5kg less than my total loss and was totally dumbfounded!
:o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 3:45 pm

So this is relevant although I could also have posted it elsewhere on this site.

Does anyone go swimming on a regular basis for exercise? I have high blood pressure and am about 10kg over weight and I need some motivation to get into the pool (yes I know the high BP alone should be motivation enough!), having a swim partner would help. I need to do non impact exercise after having spinal surgery a couple of times over the years.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 3:59 pm

I know from where you are coming. While there is nothing wrong with my Spine, I was a gout sufferer for 30 years and that coupled with the extra 25kg on a 1.7m frame did some real damage to my knees and ankles. I used cycling & swimming (but haven't done much in recent years due to my working hours). Both are low impact but I suspect that cycling would be out of the question for you. The other things you might want to consider is an elliptical cross-trainer as it's low impact as well, but can give you a real workout. (I've got an aibi in my living room!)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tysk066

Post by Tysk066 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 4:07 pm

Hi SMS

I am so interested in your program as i have tried so many pills and i think it's time to stop intaking all the bad stuff :roll:

I cant PM you, are you able to drop me an email at [email protected]? I hope I can be as persistent as you, so as to achieve my long planned goal :oops:

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 4:11 pm

I'm not too fond of swimming. That's why I end up with jogging.
"Budget Expat"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:53 pm

Steve1960 wrote:So this is relevant although I could also have posted it elsewhere on this site.

Does anyone go swimming on a regular basis for exercise? I have high blood pressure and am about 10kg over weight and I need some motivation to get into the pool (yes I know the high BP alone should be motivation enough!), having a swim partner would help. I need to do non impact exercise after having spinal surgery a couple of times over the years.
Me. As someone who grows up being an amphibian, I can attest to how wonderful swimming can do to those who are serious about exercise but have issues with joints and other weight-related constraint. The water buoyancy helps to support your body weight, removing the impact and stress while the resistance that water gives demands full-body workout.

Lap swimming for 30 minutes non-stop (distance, stroke and speed doesn't matter) will burn well and keep your rate sufficiently and consistently well.

If you use search function, you will find threads by other forum members who look for swim partner of various levels. If finding partner doesn't work, you can opt for swimming coach one-on-one basis who can help you sort out your swimming routine.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:21 pm

That's great advice thanks I had not thought about a swimming coach and I will look to see if anyone else wants a swim partner.

In a time before dinosaurs walked the earth I used to be a competition swimmer, swam for London and Essex. In recent years I did a number of 5km swims for charity with around 50km or training beforehand.

I always said to myself I would continue the training after each charity swim but of course it never happened :-(

Weighing in at 87kg and would dearly love to be 77kg!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:04 pm

Steve1960 wrote:That's great advice thanks I had not thought about a swimming coach and I will look to see if anyone else wants a swim partner.

In a time before dinosaurs walked the earth I used to be a competition swimmer, swam for London and Essex. In recent years I did a number of 5km swims for charity with around 50km or training beforehand.

I always said to myself I would continue the training after each charity swim but of course it never happened :-(

Weighing in at 87kg and would dearly love to be 77kg!
I was suggesting a swimming coach because I believe it is a good start to kickstart the motivation in you. Anticipating to go for one-on-one lessons with your coach will be more than enough to kick you into packing your sports bag on your way out to work.

And if you communicate with your swimming coach well, he will understand your goals and design a swimming routine that will suit you. After you're done with him (maybe after 3 months' worth of lessons or less), you'd have already established a swimming routine that you can stick to each time you swim alone.

So from there, you can just concentrate in changing into your swimwear, hop into the pool for your thing, and shower up and leave. Simple eh?

If that's not motivating enough, then look forward to the girls you will see in the pool in their swimwear. :cool:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:35 pm

To add on, you can choose to stick to the same routine over and over but it is always better that you increase the difficulty level (either by distance or timing) after you are comfortable at the current level.

I know how that feels. I was a competitive swimmer too (in not-so-dinosaur time, if you know my age) and also a lifeguard before I took up coaching for both swimming and lifesaving. Now being placed here in Singapore, I know how it felt to have your conscience nagging you to go back in the pool but your body says no in protest.

Right now, I managed to get back into my swimming routine on (almost) regular basis. So I guess if you're really serious about it, you'll be able to get back in shape too.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Lynx you are absolutely right on all points.

Apologies for the delay in replying just back from visiting the UK.

I will be looking for a swim coach shortly.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:46 am

If you are swimming to lose weight, you may as well not bother. Swimming is good for toning up the entire body, but isn't really a way to lose weight unless coupled along with a change of lifestyle, e.g., what you eat.

It takes approximately 7,700 calories more than the calories taken in during a given period to loss to lose one kilo of weight. 1 kg = 7,700 calories.

Swimming - moderate for 30 minutes will burn approximately 237 calories; Swimming vigorously for 30 will burn 382 calories. or approximately 50 grams or 1.5 Oz of fat. assuming you don't replace it with 382 calories of garbage later.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate_metric/cbc

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 4:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are swimming to lose weight, you may as well not bother. Swimming is good for toning up the entire body, but isn't really a way to lose weight unless coupled along with a change of lifestyle, e.g., what you eat.

It takes approximately 7,700 calories more than the calories taken in during a given period to loss to lose one kilo of weight. 1 kg = 7,700 calories.

Swimming - moderate for 30 minutes will burn approximately 237 calories; Swimming vigorously for 30 will burn 382 calories. or approximately 50 grams or 1.5 Oz of fat. assuming you don't replace it with 382 calories of garbage later.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate_metric/cbc
So for my weight of approximately 112lbs for 30 minutes' of each workout:

Swimming - moderate : 155 calories
Running 5 mph: 215 calories
Swimming - vigorous: 249 calories
Running 6 mph: 255 calories

(source: the same calculator)

Hmm not much difference to me actually (I do all four). So I won't write off swimming, plus it is one of the few sports that I'm good at. But of course different weight and duration affect the number of calories burned.

Still, the key is to watch what you eat.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 5:11 pm

Wow, just 30 minutes of martial arts burns almost 500 calories for me :D

I do more than that.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

posh_yla

Post by posh_yla » Mon, 24 Sep 2012 5:40 pm

Hi everyone.

Any ladies out here who wants to tone down and firm up? Anyone like me who don't want to take diet pills because they will just make my body looks saggy? Anyone who believes that not eating doesn't necessarily mean you will lose weight?

I am looking for a workout buddy to train with me at least once or twice a week and help lose weight before my wedding day. I will be getting married on December 2012 and I want to be able to lose weight so I can look good on my big day!! :-)

I already have a professional trainer who charges 90 dollars per session (very cheap especially knowing that he works at one prestigious club at orchard), and he agrees to the same rate even if I'm working out with a buddy. I have been training with him (on and off) for a year now. I just want to grab this chance to save and to workout with ladies who have the same goals as me!! :-)

If anyone interested, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

peterpanphoenix

Post by peterpanphoenix » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 4:24 am

Cut down on refined carbs n deep fried food
Take 1-3 tbs extra virgin coconut oil a day before meals :)

Do resistance training to build muscle