Singapore Expats

Recommend a beach place in Phuket

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Recommend a beach place in Phuket

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,

We're looking to visit Phuket next month. I'm hoping for a recommendation on a nice place to stay. People on Trip Advisor are too flaky, and it's hard to figure out what meets my criteria or not.

What I'm looking for:

- On the beach. I want a sea-view room.
- Reasonably close to Patong. I'll be here with the family, but the wife still wants to hit up the night market at least one night. Not interested in bars, clubs, etc.
- Highly preferable to be walking distance to local eateries or hawkers. We don't want to be stuck eating overpriced bland food in the hotel or a long cab ride for a meal.
- I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to be stuck in a craphole either. :P

And finally, if I should strongly consider somewhere other than Phuket, please suggest it. Phuket first drew our attention because we found a lot of 'deals' for ~S$1000 (2 adults and a kid) for 4days/3nights airfare and hotel. We're looking to go early October.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:57 pm

Well, I think you can't pick Ibis hotel since it's far from night market and hawkers. But my friends and I got a good deal at that time.

The only thing that drained our money: tours and lady boy show. Tuk-tuk is pretty cheap from Patong to the hotel. So, yeah. That's all :P
"Budget Expat"

JBK9

Post by JBK9 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 3:33 pm

suggest you to google "agoda phuket" and click the agoda.com - they have good prices, reviews, maps on the most convenient places you'd like to stay.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 3:42 pm

JBK9 wrote:suggest you to google "agoda phuket" and click the agoda.com - they have good prices, reviews, maps on the most convenient places you'd like to stay.
Aiyoh!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 4:11 pm

JBK9 wrote:suggest you to google "agoda phuket" and click the agoda.com - they have good prices, reviews, maps on the most convenient places you'd like to stay.

Now why the freak didn't I think of that?
Sigh... :shock:

Actually I'm not sure what's worse, that you had absolutely zero reading comprehension of my post, or that you told me to search for the site via Google instead just telling me to go to Agoda.com and searching for Phuket? (Which I did, if you read the first post...)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Recommend a beach place in Phuket

Post by the lynx » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 4:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hi,

We're looking to visit Phuket next month. I'm hoping for a recommendation on a nice place to stay. People on Trip Advisor are too flaky, and it's hard to figure out what meets my criteria or not.

What I'm looking for:

- On the beach. I want a sea-view room.
- Reasonably close to Patong. I'll be here with the family, but the wife still wants to hit up the night market at least one night. Not interested in bars, clubs, etc.
- Highly preferable to be walking distance to local eateries or hawkers. We don't want to be stuck eating overpriced bland food in the hotel or a long cab ride for a meal.
- I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to be stuck in a craphole either. :P

And finally, if I should strongly consider somewhere other than Phuket, please suggest it. Phuket first drew our attention because we found a lot of 'deals' for ~S$1000 (2 adults and a kid) for 4days/3nights airfare and hotel. We're looking to go early October.
Sorry can't help with recommendations but I can only tell you NOT to go to Phuket Palace. You need tuktuk for everything and everywhere! Shame that the rooms and pools are nice. Still within Patong area and is pretty good price but not worth it. I visited Phuket just once and this is the only hotel I stayed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks Lynx. I've been told in so many words by coworkers the place I want does not exist in Phuket... It's either party central, or I'm really far out in the middle of no-where.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:44 am

We always stay around the Surin Beach area which is half way between the airport and Patong. Very relaxing and not too crowded. There are a few hotel close to the beach, Twin Palms and The Manatai.

We mostly stay at The Surin Park Apartments who have a choose of 1 to 3 bed spacious apartments. It's only about 400m from the beach but the don't have the greatest sea views but why would you need one if you can go and sit by the beach?

http://www.surinpark.com/index.php

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:55 am

The mercure hotel at Patong is a lovely hotel, but unfortunately it's not on the beach (although only 5 mins walk down to the beach and it's at the nice end of Patong beach too IMO). I was recommended to me by and friend so I stayed there with my wife, we liked it so in turn recommended and booked it for my parents when they came to visit, my dad still talks about the breakfast there 2 years later! 4 star and not unreasonable prices, take a look on their site but you should be able to get rooms in the 100-150 price range in October.

Good service, nice rooms, nice pool, 5 mins walk to the beach and about 15 mins walk to Bangla road, so you're far enough away from the bars and nightlife to be completely out of it if it doesn't interest you. Can't do you that beachside room though
I HAVE MASTERS!

yengyeng

Post by yengyeng » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 7:31 pm

Its true that you need tuktuk to travel everywhere in Phuket. But they are not exactly pricey.

I stayed at Central Karon Village for my honeymoon:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/hotels/As ... -BR-1.html

Seems like they have changed their name to Centara Villas Phuket. The hotel is on the hill slope and you get seaview but no beach. It is really rustic and you get a lot of privacy. Love the rooms.

It is a short tuktuk drive from Karon beach. Actually I think the hotel has free shuttles to the Karon beach too. We prefer this beach as it is not as busy as Patong.

I recall it is not as pricey as the most hotels but you might have to check the rates again since they have changed name.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:43 am

Why Patong?
Surely Kata or Karon beaches would be a heck of a lot calmer, unless the banging-til-3am 'hello sexy man!!' mekong bars are your thing!

It depends on what your taste is. Given a choice I'd probably go to Tioman, but the island is very simple and relatively unspoilt.

- Penang. Is ok, but not great beaches or water and quite busy.
- Pangkor. Rained every day I was there, all day, for 5 days, so no comment.

I think it is Koh Lanta (?) in TH that is meant to be quite nice still. Don't know, anyone been?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:06 am

JR8 wrote:Why Patong?
Surely Kata or Karon beaches would be a heck of a lot calmer, unless the banging-til-3am 'hello sexy man!!' mekong bars are your thing!

It depends on what your taste is. Given a choice I'd probably go to Tioman, but the island is very simple and relatively unspoilt.

- Penang. Is ok, but not great beaches or water and quite busy.
- Pangkor. Rained every day I was there, all day, for 5 days, so no comment.

I think it is Koh Lanta (?) in TH that is meant to be quite nice still. Don't know, anyone been?
1. Penang is a very busy town (city?) island. So it is no longer has the same charm as Pangkor and the likes.

2. I dislike Pangkor. I find the place very sad and unimpressive.

3. Haven't been to Tioman yet but as long as it is not like Pangkor, I'm keeping it to my want-to-go list.

4. Not sure about Koh Lanta. But Koh Trang fits the description. Very rustic and unspoilt :D

emvis

Post by emvis » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:15 pm

i know its probably too late for suggestions but ive heard you can hire villas in phukets that are really quite cheap for what you get. ive had friends hire out a 6 room villa (im sure you can get smaller) with amazing sea views, infinity pool, room and ensuite, plus you can hire a driver, maid and chef.. i think these are amazing!! i think they paid US400 per person, incl 4 nights.

jasonwright

Post by jasonwright » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:25 pm

emvis wrote:i know its probably too late for suggestions but ive heard you can hire villas in phukets that are really quite cheap for what you get. ive had friends hire out a 6 room villa (im sure you can get smaller) with amazing sea views, infinity pool, room and ensuite, plus you can hire a driver, maid and chef.. i think these are amazing!! i think they paid US400 per person, incl 4 nights.
We just got back from Patong at Phuket. Took a room at Nap Patong Hotel.. simply beautiful and modern layout... had great fun.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 11:05 pm

jasonwright wrote: We just got back from Patong at Phuket. Took a room at Nap Patong Hotel.. simply beautiful and modern layout... had great fun.
I assumed you were maybe spamming there but it comes out very well on TripAdvisor too :) How did you find Patong? I ask as even 25 years ago that was party-central on Phuket (much of it horizontal apparently).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... huket.html